Trolling motor with ESC?

sailordude

1 µW
Hello! I'm new to this forum and was hoping for some guidance / advice.
We are building a small, autonomous inflatable catamaran (max speed about 4 knots) with dual electrical motors. I need to find motors with about 40 - 55 lbs thrust and have an ESC. Obviously I have been looking at trolling motors, but I'm afraid that we won't be able to just connect it to our controller. Does anyone know where we could source some affordable motors (with props) with appropriate ESCs?

thank you!

Best you can search 2nd hand locally or buy a new budget trolling motor in your own country.
Shipping trolling motors by air is rather costly for buying on websites as aliexpress.

I read somewhere that two parallel trolling motors doesnt necessary mean double power. As it a bit more complicated topic. Just doubling will probably lower efficiency.
Did you think of this ?

Monstarr said:
Best you can search 2nd hand locally or buy a new budget trolling motor in your own country.
Shipping trolling motors by air is rather costly for buying on websites as aliexpress.

I read somewhere that two parallel trolling motors doesnt necessary mean double power. As it a bit more complicated topic. Just doubling will probably lower efficiency.
Did you think of this ?

Hello Monstarr. Thank you for your post! Appreciate the input and questions.
The idea with the two engines is mainly for maneuverability. At this stage we are at Proof of Concept only. I thought it would be an easy solution to acquire two trolling motors. My concern is that I don't know if I can easily hook them up to an ESC.
I know that the trolling motors have a very low efficiency, but for this first phase it doesnt matter.

Do you know of any trolling motors that can be easily hooked up to an ESC?

best

nanni said:
watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Javrx7mq0IA
Thank you for the Link Nanni. We actually don't need that much speed. I like the concept and I see you where able to get good control by RC?
Do you have any experience with trolling motors?

Most trolling motors are brushed so could work with any ESC made for a brushed motor (and has a high enough rating).
If you do a search on eBay for "brushed motor speed controller", you will see a bunch. The ones made for scooters might be better than the RC units.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M5F5UDS/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I39NLIO0HZ1Y23&colid=15RT17VGJG5YO
This controller has forward/reverse switch, but you need to remove/bypass original controller to use reverse.
I personally use following controller in series to existing one, to fine tune the speed on my 86lbs brushed motor.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-50V-60A-DC-Motor-Speed-Control-PWM-HHO-RC-Controller-12V-24V-48V-3000W-MAX-US/401377752827?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Monstarr said:
Will it do 50-60 A for longer periods?
Because that is what a 86 lbs 24 v trolling motor will pull on full throttle.
First one, I believe, yes, its 100A max and 60A continuous. Have it on wish list.
Mine (white plastic box), did hold continuous 50A at ~33V Out for ~30 min last Sunday, but it was very hot during this process.
I run the motor at 36V now because it was kind of anemic at 24V (original controller is still taking it). Cant push over 900W IN from 6S LiPo, so I do 9S and ~ 1700W, for now.
My plan is to get the forward/reverse controller (firs link), bypass original controller and run 12S finally, then rip of the mast and duct tape the motor to a hydrofoil and call it a day. :D

parabellum said:
Monstarr said:
Will it do 50-60 A for longer periods?
Because that is what a 86 lbs 24 v trolling motor will pull on full throttle.
First one, I believe, yes, its 100A max and 60A continuous. Have it on wish list.
Mine (white plastic box), did hold continuous 50A at ~33V Out for ~30 min last Sunday, but it was very hot during this process.
I run the motor at 36V now because it was kind of anemic at 24V (original controller is still taking it). Cant push over 900W IN from 6S LiPo, so I do 9S and ~ 1700W, for now.
My plan is to get the forward/reverse controller (firs link), bypass original controller and run 12S finally, then rip of the mast and duct tape the motor to a hydrofoil and call it a day. :D

Doesn't it pull more current when running higher voltage ?

Monstarr said:
Doesn't it pull more current when running higher voltage ?
Yes, but at 24V only ~37A max can go IN the motor. I also have a feeling that original/intern controller still tries to regulate something at full/5 position, sometimes it limits the current at ~37A at 36V as well. To get rid of this glitch, I need to disconnect the motor and connect, then 50A is possible again.
Only solution I see is: connect directly to the motor with a forward/reverse controller.

If you're in salt water, the Minn Kota Riptide series is good... better hardware that doesn't seize up. It has a pretty basic brushless motor, that would be easy to bypass the original controller on. Stay away from Great White... they have parts of the controller in the actual underwater motor case part. Stupid design.. plus on one we tested, the on off switch was wired backwards, which doesn't show a lot of commitment to quality control. I learned all this from converting our fleet of trainer J24s to electric at a local sailing center, and running my Piver tri on a couple of the big Riptides btw...

Back