Mini Boat

EBJ

1 kW
mini-boat.jpg

It's been a while since I've had an EV project, but I just completed my electric mini boat and thought I'd share it here.

Story:

I'd always been interested in mini boats ever since I had seen Paul Elkin's. His boat stuck with me for a few years, and then a friend of mine decided to build his own kayak. His build videos introduced me to the dead-simple "stitch-n-glue" construction technique that I became very fond of.

I then set out to design and build a mini boat of my own. The project spanned about nine months and it turned out to be more challenging than I was expecting. We ended up building 3 boats, all identical in design, just painted differently.

The design ended up being a success. It was more stable in the water than I was hoping for, and all of the features worked as expected (including the anti-sink bulkheads... see stability test video). It's powered by basic 12V AGM batteries (I needed the weight of lead) and propelled by a basic trolling motor. I'm content with it being an under-powered cruiser for now. The lead and trolling motor helped keep this build somewhat within my budget.

I plan on selling DIY kits through my website, but I have a tendency to design things people are not interested in paying for. So for that reason, this forum post is more of a way for me to show-off than pitch sales. I suspect anyone on this forum would be more interested in designing their own than building from a kit anyway. In which case, be sure to check out the detailed build photos / instructions.

Features:

- Precision laser cut components
- Interlocking assembly (no jigs)
- Simple cable-tie and epoxy construction
- Interior bulkhead design for flood floatation
- Thick plexiglass steering wheel
- Electric trolling motor propulsion
- Low and comfortable seating position
- Stable flat bottom hull design
- Reliable steering geometry
- Convenient cubby storage (above dash)
- Additional behind-seat storage

Videos:

- Overview
- First Launch
- Stability Testing
- Boat Party

Build Photos / Instructions:

- https://www.instructables.com/id/Mini-Boat/

- http://rapidwhale.com/mini-boat.php
(more photos, info, DIY Kits, and bill-of-materials link)

Thanks for checking it out.
-Josh!

Thats pretty cool.
I kinda want to make the boat equivalent of this:
miniwidowmaker.jpg

Something the size of yours with an enormous engine poking out of it. Sure an EV boat would be cool too, but it wouldnt have the same "joke" factor in it. :lol:

MinimotoTillman said:
That's awesome!! I'm getting ready to build a jet boat from the bottom half of a jet ski hull

Thanks. I imagine a jet ski hull is an excellent starting point for a mini jet-boat. I've seen a few other mini jet boats made from Aluminum, which is much better for dragging across rocks than fiberglass. But I imagine there aren't that many people who plan on dragging their boats across rocks.

MrDude_1 said:
Thats pretty cool.
I kinda want to make the boat equivalent of this {...}
Something the size of yours with an enormous engine poking out of it. Sure an EV boat would be cool too, but it wouldnt have the same "joke" factor in it. :lol:

The joke factor is pretty high when people see me in my mini boat as-is. It would be through the roof with a big ICE engine. But these days I'd take an under-powered EV over a balls-out ICE. But I still welcome the idea of an over-powered EV.

Back