Inflatable Kayak 200w pv panels with trolling Motor

eCue

10 kW
Thie will be my summer eboat , have just picked it up on Amazon for $100 Plan is to lay two 100w semi flex pv panel on the front / rear with me in the middle with 46 ft.lb thrust 420 watt trolling motor on the back.

Intex challenger k2
61voy2KEKGL._SL1000_.jpg

51XL29C1AnL._SL1000_.jpg

With the motor locked straight ahead you can steer by dipping the paddle ends in the water.

Plan to make a transom mount and use the ebikes 12AH 48v battery pack , stepped down to 13 volts using Solar for both charging and to run the motor weather permitting.

User video

[youtube]Jnkf-9WEV04[/youtube]

This video is of the 1 person model with a transom mount added on.

[youtube]WSgD0rvC3zI[/youtube]

I will have to try a prop calculator and see what can be done to these little electric motors , they normally top out around 5 mph :D

Was thinking of making a eboat motor until watched some video's showing some of the trolling Motors watt consumption and new it was for me , slow efficient travel that my two 100w semi flex panels will power.

I bought the Newport NV 46 ft.lb version for its low power consumption to thrust its 20 lb weight the salt water rating ans its price $210 ca.

Newport Motors , from the Newport inflatable boat company motors stack up pretty good against the consumer grade competition. All their motors are salt water rated whereas only a select few are SW safe from other companies.

~ CORRECTION ~ The below vid is wrong he wrote the speed controller was not set up right after adjustments it pulled 28A at full throttle ( its rated at 35A )

Newport-Vessels-NV-Series-46-lb-Thrust-Saltwater-Transom-Mounted-Electric-Trolling-Motor-with-30-Shaft-0-0.jpg

Aluminum housing with zincs on the drive shaft

57_3da47cf9-d251-4610-a06c-530979a7a29a_large.jpg

Amp draw test in/out of the water on the same Motor 46lb thrust motor

[youtube]cD-3bKyn-9M[/youtube]

18 Amps x 13 volts = 235 watts

The 55lb model consumes 31.5 A x 13 = 409 watts same boat heavier boats will draw more Amps with both motors.

Below the 55 lb Amp test

[youtube]ePATovryheY[/youtube]

Mods needed

Custom transom motor mount
Floating pads for the PV panels
Water proof Speed control
Dry bag for battery
Many odds and ends

Semi flex panels are saltwater *spray* rated not submersible but are fully waterproof to the rain etc. they weigh 3 lbs each and will need to be mounted on foam so they will float if they end up in the water.

----- Edit : added correction for the 46 ft.lb Motor Amp draw -----

To try and get the same efficiency ordered this 40A PWM with a on/off reverse switch.

s-l1600.jpg

DC 10~50V
Sustained current: 40A
Maximum current: 60A
Speed range: 0%~100%
CW/CCW: yes
Output voltage: Load linear
Speed principle: Current regulation
Dimension: Approx. 110 x 78 x 38mm

Step down

Will need a step down converter so ordered this epoxy sealed 48v/36v converter to step down the ebikes battery to 12 volts. It cost $20

60v peak to 12v 25A output 300w rating , Motor draws 18A 235 watts

s-l1600.jpg

I will have the PWM inline with the battery cable that will lead straight to power the motor and some type of solar panel switching to direct drive or charging.

It will be my first electric trolling motor so Im looking forward to it , Im hoping it has thrust / good enough push for currents.

I think it will rip with the little kayak though as the total weight will be around 250 lbs. Well maybe not rip but have good pushing power :D

Weight: 38 lbs
size: 11 ft 6in X 2ft 6in X 1ft 3in
Persons capacity: 2
capacity: 400 pounds
U.S. Coast Guard I.D : NMMA Certified
TUV approved

I would think its rated for lakes only but read it for mild rivers as well.

eCue said:
To try and get the same efficiency ordered this 40A PWM with a on/off reverse switch.
You don't need both (new controller plus DC/DC.) A decent controller will limit to a max voltage.

That sounds like the controller I need , any links ?
I bought this speed control as its known to work with brushed trolling motors that and its $20 price tag .

I am hitting a glitch where I need a second step down converter to step the Panels to 12-13v for direct drive. So maybe a 24 to 12 converter or a 12v voltage stabilizer. My worry is the mppt charger will not run the motor direct drive due to its charging feature may pulse the power on/off. Im not sure if it will or will not work when stepped down.

Charging will be done via the mpt-7210a 600w mini charge controller

Edit - I bought a 2nd sealed step down converter this one 24v to 12v 30A 360w with a 14 to 40v input range. I will run the 18v panels in parallel so 18v out to the converter then 12v to the speed controller.

Efficiency test step down converter types

[youtube]dZHuj3R-g9A[/youtube]

Ordered four of these disconnects $5 ea.

s-l1600.jpg

Motor and boat are being shipped Now from Amazon the speed controller from the Canada the step down converters will be a longer wait coming from China.
In the meanwhile I will make a motor mount for the transom and work on the panel mount.
New plan with the panels , both upfront one length ways the other width ways to take up the front half of the boat. Panels are 22" wide by 42" long weigh 3.5 lbs each are about 2mm thick , so far the plan is to mount on a 1-inch thick closed cell foam (it needs to float)

As the kayak/rafts load is around 250 lbs I ordered a Oversize prop to gain some speed cost $23 rated for 12 & 24v 55lb to 88lb Motors.

The prop that's comes with it is 9 inch this one is 10 inch

51CX5mW4YWL._SL1000_.jpg

In the past I over propped a Jonson 9.9 on 12ft Zodiac that made 35kph. It felt faster but is still fast for a 10 hp motor on the water.
With this Motor will be happy to see a gain of 3kph surprised if it gives any more. It might give less speed and more pull I don't know. The light weight gives me hope I will see a speed gain.

When its together I will test props with the sony camera with its gps and post the video showing if any gains were made. :D

Back