Suitable Hall-effect sensor for boat throttle

Boats, Jet Skis, Kayaks etc., including hovercrafts
grcd   1 µW

1 µW

Suitable Hall-effect sensor for boat throttle

Post by grcd » Aug 13 2018 3:17pm

I am in the process of designing a throttle for my electric boat. As of now, I use a slide potentiometer, but I doubt it will last very long. For a long-term solution I am looking for an angle/rotation sensor with no moving parts (so, no regular potentiometers). Sensors based on measuring the magnetic field from have long life. I suppose an LDR with LEDS would work as well.

I have tried putting magnets inside an old throttle and a positioned a Hall sensor statically in the middle (I know -- messy cables :oops: ):

It works, but it is not perfect. Of course it is just a matter of limited mechanical design (a 3D printer would help, but I do not own one) and not the idea itself.

To get more accurate reads, I am looking at manufactured products. The Clarostat HRS100SSAB090 [1] is about $30 - $50 and seems to be a nice product, but it is not available in 270° and the 180° seems to be tirelessly out-of-stock. I would like to have more suggestions.

[1] https://www.ebay.com/itm/Clarostat-HRS1 ... m570.l1313

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Re: Suitable Hall-effect sensor for boat throttle

Post by amberwolf » Aug 14 2018 1:28am

How about taking a regular "ebike" hall throttle, mounting it in a box, running a cable from it via pulleys or gearing (to change the amount of travel/ratio of movement) to whatever control is actually going to be handled?

There's a few examples around the forum; the most recent similar is Cboy's ongoing thread for his motorcycle trike project.

You can also mount a bare linear hall sensor (honeywell 49x type) on something, and put magnets on the cable coming from the hand-control, positioned so they change the sensor's output in the range you need it to.

Voltron   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Voltron » Aug 14 2018 5:25am

We use this one...
throttle.jpg
throttle.jpg (17.33 KiB) Viewed 666 times
Attachments
throttleside.jpg
throttleside.jpg (17.52 KiB) Viewed 666 times

grcd   1 µW

1 µW

Post by grcd » Aug 16 2018 3:15pm

amberwolf wrote:
Aug 14 2018 1:28am
How about taking a regular "ebike" hall throttle, mounting it in a box, running a cable from it via pulleys or gearing (to change the amount of travel/ratio of movement) to whatever control is actually going to be handled?

There's a few examples around the forum; the most recent similar is Cboy's ongoing thread for his motorcycle trike project.

You can also mount a bare linear hall sensor (honeywell 49x type) on something, and put magnets on the cable coming from the hand-control, positioned so they change the sensor's output in the range you need it to.
I bought normal 5 V Hall sensor (they are dirt cheap), which is centered around 2.4 V (i.e. the magnetic field is orthogonal to the sensor). I took a piece of aluminium and created this mount:
photo_2018-08-16_16-48-09.jpg
It is placed as follows in the old throttle
photo_2018-08-16_16-46-41.jpg
I then made a mount for the magnets as well. There is no problem with the slightly shifted magnets, since their poles are facing the same way. It is possible rotate the magnets to calibrate voltage, the mount for the Hall sensor allows for more degrees of freedom in calibrating.
photo_2018-08-16_20-14-02.jpg
The good thing about this is that the voltage is not linear, but instead a sine, i.e. it follows the function V(θ) = A * sin θ + C, A = 1.6 and C = 2.4. This allows for a smoother operation of the motor, since the first movements around zero yield very little motor thrust.
Voltron wrote:
Aug 14 2018 5:25am
We use this one...

throttle.jpg
Yeah, I looked at that one before. It is a pretty good price. Might consider that in the future, if my current solution does not work properly.

Altair   100 W

100 W

Post by Altair » Aug 23 2018 9:05am

You can find Hall-effect throttle pedals on Aliexpress.

Lilliput   1 µW

1 µW

Post by Lilliput » Sep 09 2018 5:31pm

First post - Newbie here!
The electric motor kit for re-powering my small sailboat which I bought from
http://www.electricauxiliary.com/index.html came with this https://www.otto-controls.com/htwf-hall ... thumbwheel for a throttle.

Voltron   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Voltron » Sep 09 2018 5:37pm

Or, if you like Sevcon controllers.... :)
doubledrives.jpg
doubledrives.jpg (24.72 KiB) Viewed 549 times
bluefront (1024x576).jpg