Cycle Analyst V3 preview and first beta release

Get real world experience and user feedback on the electric bicycle products.

Re: Cycle Analyst V3 preview and first beta release

Postby ebike11 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:23 am

teklektik wrote:
ebike11 wrote:im getting a strange flashing battery icon on the CA3.
I searched the guide but couldnt see that icon.

CA3_mainStatusScreenTempAlert.png

Again - please do the installation steps....

CA3_basicInstallation.png

Thanks a lot man...you are the king of the CA!
ebike11
10 kW
10 kW

Re: Brightening CA Backlight

Postby ebike11 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:50 am

teklektik wrote:
ebike11 wrote:actually both CA3s are running on the same battery pack. just one CA3 is brighter than the other straight out of the box.
I am not confident opening the CA3s up.

As the posts in izeman's search revealed, the CA brightness is largely a matter of the +5V current drawn by the CA and it's accessories (throttle, etc). So - if you have a three position switch or ebrakes on one CA but not the other, the brightness might be different. Different LED batches might yield slightly different brightness, but I can't speak to that probability.

As pointed out in post (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37964&p=1263588#p1263588), it's possible to dim the display a bit by bypassing current around the LCD module. Similarly, it's possible to brighten the backlight by adding a load resistor in parallel with the 5V regulator to draw a bit more current through the LCD module. In that case, you would still need to pay attention to the current limitations determined by the pack voltage as called out in the Guide. For instance, since the CA 5V supply is drawing about 10ma, you might add a load resistor to draw maybe 10-50% more current (1-5ma).

Anyhow, since you don't feel comfortable cracking the case, you can go after this by directly increasing the 5V regulator load with an external resistor. This is probably the 'hackiest' strategy, but will work fine if you need a no-messing-with-CA-internals approach - just pay attention to the overall current inventory as mentioned above. So - you might try jumping a 1K resistor across the +5V and Gnd pins of the AuxPot or Throttle connectors. This would boost the current draw 5V/1K = 5ma which will visibly brighten the backlight. You could make up a super short M/F JST pass-through extender that has the power leads jumpered with the resistor of choice (use a small 1/8 or 1/10W part - there's no power to speak of). This would let you do the fabrication off the bike on the bench and then just plug in the gizmo when it's ready with no chance of taking your bike out of service with a fabrication accident.

Hi Teklektik,
Would this be the correct resistor to jump across the POS. and NEG. of the AuxPot? Id like to try it first to increase the the screens brightness a bit. It seems easy enough. Thanks

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1LOT-10 ... 4d4d39440b
ebike11
10 kW
10 kW

Postby izeman » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:47 am

as tek already stated, different total loads make the backlight brighter or dimmer. as we don't know how bright it is right now, you can't say what load you must add, to make it as bright as the other one.
taking tek's example of a single 1k resistor, the posted parts are correct and fine to use.
the problem you have is, that with 1k the lcd may then by brigher or dimmer than the other one. so you would need a different resistor. buying an assortment of different values gives you the possibilty to play around and find the perfect value.
of course you could put some 1k resistors in parallel and series to build a resistor mesh of any value you like (well 100k max of course, as it's 100 pieces of 1k :wink: )
this may help you: http://www.calculator.net/resistor-calculator.html
Last edited by izeman on Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total. View post history.
izeman
10 GW
10 GW

Postby ebike11 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:27 am

izeman wrote:as tek already stated, different total loads make the backlight brighter or dimmer. as we don't know how bright it is right now, you can't say what load you must add, to make it as bright as the other one.
taking tek's example of a single 1k resistor, the posted parts are correct and fine to use.
the problem you have is, that with 1k the lcd may then by brigher or dimmer than the other one. so you would need a different resistor. buying an assortment of different values gives you the possibilty to play around and find the perfect value.
of course you could put some 1k resistors in parallel and series to build a resistor mesh of any value you like (well 100k max of course, as it's 100 pieces of 1k :wink: )
this may help you: http://www.calculator.net/resistor-calculator.html

Thx for the reply!
At the moment it seems a bit dimmer than my othe CA that is on the same bike. Id just like to experiment getting the brightness up a bit more without having to open anything up.
There are no accessories or anything connected..just the throttle and the power to the external shunt
ebike11
10 kW
10 kW

Postby ebike11 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:58 pm

By the way, i was wanting to confirm, is the Grin external shunt rated at a Maximum 50A ?
I have a 60A controller so I assume it will cut off at 50A?
ebike11
10 kW
10 kW

Postby izeman » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:40 am

ebike11 wrote:By the way, i was wanting to confirm, is the Grin external shunt rated at a Maximum 50A ?

a shunt can't cut off. a shunt is just a piece of metal with a stable resistance that doesn't change (too much) while it heats up.
you measure the voltage drop over the shunt. that way you can calculate the current going through it (I=U/R).
that's why it can't cut off, it just gets warmer and warmer, and at some point will just melt ;)
izeman
10 GW
10 GW

Postby RTIII » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:43 pm

Is there any version of Cycle Analyst that captures cadence data?

I'm not interested in control of any kind, so maybe the V3 is the wrong product family for me... I'm hoping to find something that can give me A, V, speed, and cadence in a consistent data set so I can compare between two bikes and also so I can help "map" the performance of my torque-sensing mid-drive...

TIA,
RTIII
RTIII
1 kW
1 kW

Postby amberwolf » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:30 am

AFAIK the CA doesn't directly capture the cadence data (not stored in the CA itself) but it does have a serial output that can send various parameters (I don't remember which ones, but it should be in the manual or Grin's site for CA v2.1 (I think) or later) in realtime out at the baud rate you set, so you can use an external serial logger to log that data, then analyze it however you want later.

Grin sells the Cycle Analogger that will do the logging, but you can use anything with a serial input to do it (including a laptop with a terminal program that can write the incoming data to a text file, or arduino, etc).
amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW

Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Postby ebike11 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:09 am

izeman wrote:
ebike11 wrote:By the way, i was wanting to confirm, is the Grin external shunt rated at a Maximum 50A ?

a shunt can't cut off. a shunt is just a piece of metal with a stable resistance that doesn't change (too much) while it heats up.
you measure the voltage drop over the shunt. that way you can calculate the current going through it (I=U/R).
that's why it can't cut off, it just gets warmer and warmer, and at some point will just melt ;)

Ok thx..im still not too techy when it comes to equations like you posted. I just read 50A continuous on the shunt description on ebikes.ca so i thought that i shouldnt go over that amount for long periods of time
Last edited by ebike11 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total. View post history.
ebike11
10 kW
10 kW

Postby teklektik » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:32 am

RTIII wrote:Is there any version of Cycle Analyst that captures cadence data?

I'm not interested in control of any kind, so maybe the V3 is the wrong product family for me... I'm hoping to find something that can give me A, V, speed, and cadence in a consistent data set so I can compare between two bikes and also so I can help "map" the performance of my torque-sensing mid-drive...

Since the CA3 is the only CA with PAS inputs, it's the only candidate :D

It can do what you request and has both live cadence displays and well as serial log data that is in csv format, ready for import to Excel. The newer 3.1beta firmware has a slightly enhanced data stream but the basic crank rpm, torque, human watts stuff is still there along with the expected electrical and speed/distance stuff.

Please download the Unofficial Guide. This lists the available serial data (see below) and describes a means to log the data on your phone using the standard CA programming cable + adapter cable. Alternatively, the Cycle Analogger from Grin can be had with a GPS option so that you get positional information as well. That enhanced log data can be uploaded to the Grin Trip Analyzer and you can see the map and plot the various parameters to see what's happening on hills, flats, etc.

CA3.0_serialData.png
CA3.0_serialData.png (26.09 KiB) Viewed 179 times
Visit Grin Technologies at www.ebikes.ca
Build Thread: 2WD Yuba Mundo V4
teklektik
1 GW
1 GW

Postby RTIII » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:26 pm

teklektik wrote:
RTIII wrote:Is there any version of Cycle Analyst that captures cadence data?

Since the CA3 is the only CA with PAS inputs, it's the only candidate :D

Thanks, teklektik, I'll be reading up!
RTIII
1 kW
1 kW

Postby cerberpeter » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:46 pm

I'm digging the forum for few hours now, but I could not find what is the lowest shunt resistance that I can set. I use modified Lyen controller that appears to have shunt resistance of about 0.55 mOhm, but when I set anything below 0.755 mOhm in CA V3, it saves the setting with that value (0.755). Do I have to use the Hi settings (for KW) or is there a way around this?
Last edited by cerberpeter on Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total. View post history.
cerberpeter
1 mW
1 mW

Postby teklektik » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:34 pm

cerberpeter wrote:Do I have to use the Hi settings (for KW) or is there a way around this?

See Unofficial Guide:

CA3_UUG_shuntSnippet.png
CA3_UUG_shuntSnippet.png (77.21 KiB) Viewed 98 times
Visit Grin Technologies at www.ebikes.ca
Build Thread: 2WD Yuba Mundo V4
teklektik
1 GW
1 GW

Postby izeman » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:26 am

Conclusio: NO way around. You have to use the kW setting which is some kind of strange if you have a bike in the x00 W range, showing eg 0.7kW instead of 753W ;).
izeman
10 GW
10 GW

Postby cerberpeter » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:14 am

Thanks guys! I switched to KW and it is alright for me. I guess the other option would be to use some external shunt, but I will be over the 10 kw sooner or later anyway :D
Last edited by cerberpeter on Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total. View post history.
cerberpeter
1 mW
1 mW

Postby amberwolf » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:27 pm

Yeah, I recently changed SB Cruiser to a parallel pair of Grin's SA-CA shunts, for 0.500milliohm, and had to change teh CA2.3 mode to high-range.

Doesn't affect anything for me other than getting used to the slight change in the way watts are displayed. :)

(with peaks of 3x what the shunt is rated for, I figured it might help to decrease voltage drop there, and heating, if I halved the shunt resistance. Under heavy hauling loads up any inclines, it could sustain those kinds of currents for a while, and a single standard SA shunt isn't designed for that).
amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW

Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Previous

Return to E-Bike Reviews & Testing