Sabvoton SVMC072150 controller review, variable regen *PICS*

On my setup it required both a switched signal and the variable signal. The switched signal did cut off the power (the throttle would not produce power), then the variable signal controlled the amount of braking (in addition to the settings in the controller).

Here is the wiring diagram and software (from page 2 of this thread). The throttle connector is 4 pin and contains two analog input wires instead of one. My controller came from zombiess:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=62240&start=25#p931253

Rob92 said:
I stumbled across this post and decided to give variable regen a try!

Do you have two 2.8-3Y connectors? I'm not sure but I suspect that second 2.8-3Y connector is for variable regen. You can use second 2.8-3Y for cruise/low/high speed or variable regen. See pic. First 2.8-3Y is for throttle and second lower 2.8-3Y might be for variable regen.

Attachments

• var2.jpg
    var2.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 7,144
hello all: i have a qs205 motor with 72150 controller. i have connected orange wire to battery voltage and loaded software. i see the corrected battery voltage (82V) on software. i read 5V on both variable regen and throttle. trouble is: i cannot complete hall test. any thoughts? i even tried a second controller ssc72150 ( i have both) and still no successful hall test. any help appreciated. does purple wire need to be connected if braking function disabled?
ed

1) Connect the orange E-lock wire directly to Red positive to start controller.

2) I don't use any electrical brake funtion for my subvoton but I don't see why it might not work for you.
Regarding High brake - supply 5v, 12v or battery voltage to high brake wire (it's purple wire in my controller) and it will cut off throttle until you remove power supply from this purple wire. Double check if you can supply battery voltage to this wire because some sabvoton diagrams does not show battery voltage on this high brake wire. But I have tested and it's ok for my application. Ussually both brakes are connected to this wire. You push any of two brake levers and than throttle disengages because electricity starts to go to high brake wire untill both brake levers released.

I think you could take 5v from throttle red positive wire.

What error you get? What does controller say in error log in app on you PC?
Does your controller has a thermal sensor?
Does your motor has a thermal sensor installed (white wire in motor connector next to hall wires)?

Regarding temp sensor wire.
It's white wire in the same connector as hall wires. See if hall connector only five wires (red, black yellow green blue) and/or maybe it has one more wire - white wire. If that the case then you need a resistor in case only your motor has no KTY/temp sensor installed.

hi minde
both motor and controller have sensor white wire.
the error is seen in lower right hand corner of soft ware window on computer. it simply indicates hall test failure.
i have checked all other connections. just a little at a lost of what to do.
thanks. any help appreciated.

hi minde
both motor and controller have sensor white wire.
the error is seen in lower right hand corner of soft ware window on computer. it simply indicates hall test failure.
i have checked all other connections. just a little at a lost of what to do.
thanks. any help appreciated.

I have the 96080 and it has issues with the hall sensor. When i turn the motor by hand the hall status on the PC config software changes. If I rotate the wheel so the hall status shows 1 to 6 the controller will power up ok. If it is sat with a 0 or 7 the controller errors on start up with hall fault - what causes the hall sensor status to read 0 or 7?

hi, minde
back to trying to pass hall test. now i get system error 1, the list below indicates hall failure. is this a problem in actual hub motor?
ed

Hello I have questions about using savboton 72150: 1. I have 22s8p battery and loaded is 92.4v can i use this controller? 2. Regeneration will have problems? thanks in advance

edwardrhomberg said:
hi, minde
back to trying to pass hall test. now i get system error 1, the list below indicates hall failure. is this a problem in actual hub motor?
ed

I believe it could be down to the hall sensor type, unipolar vs bipolar.
I’m going to fit some additional unipolars see if that makes a difference

hey,

I'm trying to get my variable regen to work on my 72150. It has a 3 pin throttle connector aswell as a 3pin variable regen connector; here's the wiring which im currently using:
https://i.imgur.com/zW3et5F.png

Throttle works fine, but the regen doesn't do anything.

When connecting 'brake'(not h-brake) to ground, the motor uses electronic brake at full power, the throttle doesn't change the power of the brake.

Does someone know how to make the variable regen work? I was under the impression that they changed the way it worked and all you had to do was put 0-5v on the variable brake connector to make it brake?

Thanks,

Tim

Alan B said:
The hall sensors should never read 0 or 7. Those are illegal values. There are only 6 valid states, 1 through 6.

Was down to hall sensor location. Sabvoton does not like 60deg halls!

masagero said:
Hello I have questions about using savboton 72150: 1. I have 22s8p battery and loaded is 92.4v can i use this controller? 2. Regeneration will have problems? thanks in advance

72150 states a max voltage of 95V.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sabvoton-Controller-150A-SVMC72150-for-QS-3000w-brushless-Motor-curtis-controller/32889508669.html

You can use up to 95v or even few volts up if Sabvoton controller software allows it.
The problem can occur when/if regen is present after battery is fully charged and strong regen is initiated therefore rising voltage even little bit more. Let say you had 23s (96,6v) or 24s (100,8v) and initiated regen and you would have voltage over the limit therefore risk to blow up caps or get ''overvoltage'' error without being able to run at all.

With 22s up to 95v I would not worry with or without regen.

HomeScape said:
hey,

I'm trying to get my variable regen to work on my 72150. It has a 3 pin throttle connector aswell as a 3pin variable regen connector; here's the wiring which im currently using:
https://i.imgur.com/zW3et5F.png

Throttle works fine, but the regen doesn't do anything.

When connecting 'brake'(not h-brake) to ground, the motor uses electronic brake at full power, the throttle doesn't change the power of the brake.

Does someone know how to make the variable regen work? I was under the impression that they changed the way it worked and all you had to do was put 0-5v on the variable brake connector to make it brake?

Thanks,

Tim

Hello,

will also use this Controller and use this variale regen, but where are the sabvoton user profis with helping hands?

Well don't do that if you want regen brake. Don't connect brake to ground. If you need regen brake than your controller:
- has to support variable regen brake first of all
- secondly has to have 3 ping connector dedicated to regen brake

If above two are true than connect second throttle or brake with hall; also change settings in sabvoton software, choose variable brake setting.

I am running a SVMC072150 together with a 22S Lipo battery.

I use a second throttle for regen braking. Unfortunately it only starts working when the battery is already down to around 40% (83V).
The Sabvoton shows over 2V higher battery voltage in its software than real battery voltage.

It seems than the Regen voltage limit is somehow connected to parameter "over volt".
I cannot set "over volt" to more than 96V. Does anybody have a firmware on his controller that allows to set "over volt" higher than 96V?
Did anybody try to modify to controller so it shows correct/less voltage?

There two versions of these controllers: Locked and Unlocked.
Locked version is the one with 350A phase.
Unlocked version is with 450A or 400A phase and maybe some other different values. Maybe you can set up to 100v with Opened versions. I would check on my Unlocked controller if it didn't brake few weeks ago.

As far as I know there is no firmware to be downloaded and than updated manually through PC adapter/application like it might be for some other smart controllers.

I know that you can update controller firmware using Bluetooth adapter by pressing update firmware in Android application through your phone. I did update controller firmware with Bluetooth adapter myself. Not sure what update does. After update controller soon failed. Maybe it just coincident. Now I got a brick with Red LED always ON; not able to connect through PC or Bluetooth; nothing is shorted; All fets, caps etx are ok, must be chip (logic) failed; can't fix. Practically new controller, used only few times.

I too noticed that it showed higher voltage than my smart BMS. Did not took it much into consideration as I was running 72v (20S). Did not try to modify and did not heard somebody do so for these particular controllers.

I have the unlocked version. I can set the battery amps to 250 and the phase amps to 550. Maybe even higher.
Limit for flux weakening is 80A in the Bluetooth app, but through PC application it accepts 200A.
I did not try to ride at more than 80A of flux weakening so far. Do you think there is a risk of demagnetizing the magnets with high flux weakening current?

However I cannot set "over volt" to anything higher than 96V.

I also did the firmware update via the Bluetooth app very soon after I have received the controller, so I also cannot tell if it changed anything.
Is there something like a support for the Sabvoton controllers? I sent an email to the email address shown on MQCON website, but did not receive a reply.

Regarding Sabvoton.
Simply there is no support from manufacturer because there is such no company as Sabvoton. But than again it's not true as somebody is still manufacturing these controllers and using Sabvoton name. And it's not old stock, these are new controllers. They don't provide support as some European or Western company, no phone line, no site visits, can't book engineer time. Usually only controller seller provides support. Basically there is nothing. If there is warranty then HW can be replaced by HW seller.

Regarding QS response. Usually they are supportive if you reach them during working hours. If you did not received reply during next few day there is some typo from your or their side, maybe website contact wrong or sick leave or smth. Try to reach them again, or and try to reach another qs person. They are interested in responding to potential buyer.

Back