PowerVelocity controller review

Get real world experience and user feedback on the electric bicycle products.
ElectricGod   100 MW

100 MW

Re: PowerVelocity controller review

Post by ElectricGod » Dec 26 2018 1:51pm

Hi folks,

I'm building a 12 fet PV controller that will do 7kw or so...

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... =4&t=97440

I know with just beefed up traces, larger wires and bigger shunts that 6kw continuous is doable so this build is all about pushing the limits. I've been doing 5kw continuous on a couple of 12 fets and now have a 6kw controller. 7kw is theoretically possible.

Freddddy   1 µW

1 µW

Post by Freddddy » Mar 06 2019 4:19pm

These controllers are very good. I have ordered my first one about a week ago. I'm was wondering how long they take to ship out as I still haven't heard or received a reply email since I paid f o r my order. Very prompt reply to begin with but once order placed..... um still waiting.

MJSfoto1956   10 kW

10 kW

Post by MJSfoto1956 » Mar 06 2019 6:03pm

Freddddy wrote:
Mar 06 2019 4:19pm
These controllers are very good. I have ordered my first one about a week ago. I'm was wondering how long they take to ship out as I still haven't heard or received a reply email since I paid f o r my order. Very prompt reply to begin with but once order placed..... um still waiting.
Took a couple of weeks for mine over the Xmas holidays.
I wouldn't be surprised if he builds** these to spec as the orders come in.

M

** basically it appears he orders pre-built controllers wholesale from China without any MOSFETS, then adds his own USA-quality components and beefs up any solder traces. On top of this, the real value is his unique iPhone/Android app. Good stuff.

Freddddy   1 µW

1 µW

Post by Freddddy » Mar 06 2019 10:28pm

Mine is now on its way. I can't wait to use it

Powervelocity.com   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Powervelocity.com » Mar 07 2019 6:09pm

Sorry, guys. It's been probably the busiest time so far, so, there is a backlog. Seems like everyone is getting ready for the ride season. I am working on improving efficiencies.
Freddddy wrote:
Mar 06 2019 10:28pm
Mine is now on its way. I can't wait to use it

cheeko   100 W

100 W

Post by cheeko » Apr 10 2019 8:05pm

Great Controller i love my 24Fet had it about year now. no issues whats so ever
24s5P Futr Beta Mxus3k New Controller coming

MileHighGuy   1 mW

1 mW

Post by MileHighGuy » May 24 2019 10:31am

ElectricGod wrote:
Dec 21 2017 4:01pm
Addy wrote:
Dec 21 2017 3:00pm
ElectricGod wrote:
Dec 21 2017 2:56pm
It took you longer to write your original reply than to do the actual test for me. Then you had to read my reply and write another reply. By then you could have tried this out on 10-20 different conductors and posted your actual results. LAME!!!
I didn't do the test because I don't have a 4-wire meter and I don't plan to buy one right now because I don't think I need it.

On the same note, you could do some reading and gain some understanding of these concepts instead of yakking on about how you're the only one testing and everyone else must be lazy.
Well... 4 wire meter purchased for comparison purposes and a couple sets of decent grade gold plated kelvin clips purchased for the 2 wire meter. We will see what happens soon enough! If the 4 wire meter blows the socks off the 2 wire meter...fantastic...if it doesn't...fantastic. The results will be the results. That's infinitely more than anyone else can say.

Those IXYS mosfets are still sealed in their bag. I've upgraded my grounding (just in case) and added my ground strap. I am preparing for actual tests.

Addy...
I'm going to guess that you don't have any test equipment at all beyond maybe a DMM. That explains a lot! I can't imagine why you didn't just post that to begin with. It is perfectly OK to NOT have scopes and meters and function generators and what not. I've spent money on this stuff over the years and obviously am still willing to buy more of it. My best scope cost me several thousand dollars in the 90's. I'd love to replace it with something current, but it still works great so what's the point? You should have just said to begin with that you don't have test gear. Why bother hiding the fact that you can't test and that you are taking this all on faith? I own the test equipment so I CAN test. LOL! Seriously...that was totally weak. Now we all know why you don't ever test anything...you can't test...plain and simple. You have no choice but to take what you read on faith. And that's perfectly OK...just say so. Why was that so hard? There was quite literally nothing to hide except for the fact that you can't prove anything you say with actual testing. I on the other hand can test and can back up what I say with real live testing. Good god man! What a waste of time posturing and pretending when honesty was the best approach!

Not bragging, but I have 3 o-scopes, 2 function generators, 3 component testers, DMM, 2 wire low ohm meter and soon a 4 wire meter. I've built various test tools too. I have probably 15 soldering irons and a Hakko solder station. I also have various adjustable power supplies, bread boards and zillions of components. I've done electronic component level repair since the late 80's. You use this sort of equipment for that kind of work. I currently work as a software developer since 2010. Prior to that, 25 years in sysadmin and prior to that component level repair as a job for 4 or 5 years while in school and a while afterwards. I went to school for an EE in the 80's. I never worked a day in the field because I discovered I liked computers so much more and hated all the math an EE needs. Electronics have been a hobby of mine since I was 10 years old or so. I still have that yellow book written by Forrest Mims my mom bought me as a kid!
I for one really appreciate all of what ElectricGod does in testing and sharing his results. It's been two years since this post and I'm just happening apon it Because i am wanting some information on what mosfets are the absolute all around best for a 24f controller. There are mosfets on the market that cost upwards of $20 a piece and to strap 24 of those fuckers into a controller to have a unstoppable beast then I'll start saving my money and invest in those mosfets. And a big deciding factor in my choice in mosfet will be based on the results that ElectricGod has found. He's the only one calling people on their Bullshit and making them studder hahahaha hats off to you sir what you are doing is very appreciated thank you!!

MileHighGuy   1 mW

1 mW

Post by MileHighGuy » May 24 2019 10:59am

I am just curious and lack any kind of knowledge in most of what is being talked about. But i am curious how a 24fet controller with the Toshiba 120v mosfets would behave if 4 of those mosfets were replaced with an inferior mosfet such as the irfb4011 in a single phase? Is this conceivable? As long as i do not come close to the 100v max that the 4011 are Rated then i am assuming that it will be just fine right?

10 kW

Post by Powervelocity.com » May 24 2019 11:34am

You can do that as long as you replace ALL four in the group with the same kind.
But Toshiba mosfets are not that expensive, so I would just go with the same kind already installed in the controller.
MileHighGuy wrote:
May 24 2019 10:59am
I am just curious and lack any kind of knowledge in most of what is being talked about. But i am curious how a 24fet controller with the Toshiba 120v mosfets would behave if 4 of those mosfets were replaced with an inferior mosfet such as the irfb4011 in a single phase? Is this conceivable? As long as i do not come close to the 100v max that the 4011 are Rated then i am assuming that it will be just fine right?

MileHighGuy   1 mW

1 mW

Post by MileHighGuy » May 26 2019 11:36am

Powervelocity.com wrote:
May 24 2019 11:34am
You can do that as long as you replace ALL four in the group with the same kind.
But Toshiba mosfets are not that expensive, so I would just go with the same kind already installed in the controller.
MileHighGuy wrote:
May 24 2019 10:59am
Thanks for your timely reply i sent you an email with Details about my current issue thanks

Freddddy   1 µW

1 µW

Post by Freddddy » Aug 02 2019 8:36pm

I've had my controller since the start of March and am still not satisfied with it. What it has done is caused me headaches. The blue tooth app constantly cuts out with my android and I was told to borrow an i phone off someone I know. What a genius way to fix, borrow another person's phone. And my bike is performing the opposite that I expected. Very slow off the line and at top speed. T h e answer to this was to lower my low cut off voltage down to 40v. It did increase the power a lot but now I have no controller battery protection. I have a 87v pack which I'm running at 40v low cut off. That's really solved the problem, actually created another one. Thanks guys at power V. 👍

10 kW

Post by Powervelocity.com » Aug 05 2019 1:32pm

A video of some sort would be useful in diagnosing the Android issue. Due to variability in hardware and OS versions on Android devices, results may differ but can be solved with either OS updates or tweaking in the app. But I need exact details to see what's going on.

The soft cutoff is a feature, not a bug. As the battery voltage drops and get closer to the cut off value, the controller starts limiting power to protect the battery and allow you to extend the range. This feature can be turned off though and switched to hard cutoff.

Also, operating Li-ion batteries without BMS begs for big troubles. Dead batteries at best, fire in the worst case. The controller voltage cutoffs should not be relied upon as the only measure to protect batteries from over discharging, overcharging, etc.
Freddddy wrote:
Aug 02 2019 8:36pm
I've had my controller since the start of March and am still not satisfied with it. What it has done is caused me headaches. The blue tooth app constantly cuts out with my android and I was told to borrow an i phone off someone I know. What a genius way to fix, borrow another person's phone. And my bike is performing the opposite that I expected. Very slow off the line and at top speed. T h e answer to this was to lower my low cut off voltage down to 40v. It did increase the power a lot but now I have no controller battery protection. I have a 87v pack which I'm running at 40v low cut off. That's really solved the problem, actually created another one. Thanks guys at power V. 👍

BillyJ   1 mW

1 mW

Post by BillyJ » Sep 02 2019 1:14pm

Hi guys,

I'm desperate for some help wiring up my 15kW PowerVelocity controller hence posting this here!!

There are a few places I'm stuck:
1. The ignition input plug has an orange and a red wire, what signals go in here? - I have a switched 72V signal which I would assume goes on the orange side but what is on the red side?
2. does the throttle input to the controller remain unconnected when passing the throttle input through the BT module

Also would be good to know:
MXUS V3 temp input is on the white wire but when measuring resistance between the white wire and black hall sensor GND, I get no measurement on both sets. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks so much to anyone that helps!

Dash is being 3d printed as I type and this is the bike:

MJSfoto1956   10 kW

10 kW

Post by MJSfoto1956 » Sep 02 2019 2:50pm

BillyJ wrote:
Sep 02 2019 1:14pm
1. The ignition input plug has an orange and a red wire, what signals go in here? - I have a switched 72V signal which I would assume goes on the orange side but what is on the red side?
Nothing on the red side. Just send a switched 72V to the orange you should be good to go.
BillyJ wrote:
Sep 02 2019 1:14pm
2. does the throttle input to the controller remain unconnected when passing the throttle input through the BT module
Yes. There is no need to also connect the throttle to the controller if it is already connected to the PV BT module.

That being said, here's how I wired mine:
NESE Modules 20p pack.v7d.1500.jpg
NESE Modules 20p pack.v7d.1500.jpg (471.06 KiB) Viewed 330 times

BillyJ   1 mW

1 mW

Post by BillyJ » Sep 02 2019 3:13pm

You're an absolute legend!!

Thank you so much! Here is mine:

(How did you wire up the thermistor, I can't measure anything between either set of white temp wire and black wire... )

MJSfoto1956   10 kW

10 kW

Post by MJSfoto1956 » Sep 02 2019 4:22pm

BillyJ wrote:
Sep 02 2019 3:13pm
(How did you wire up the thermistor, I can't measure anything between either set of white temp wire and black wire... )
Motor or controller thermistor?

M

MJSfoto1956   10 kW

10 kW

Post by MJSfoto1956 » Sep 03 2019 3:58pm

BillyJ wrote:
Sep 03 2019 3:39pm
Motor temp sensor on a MXUS V3 :thumb:
Not sure, but I have a funny feeling that this link might shed some light on the matter (even though it is about QSmotors): https://electricbike.com/forum/forum/ma ... analyst-v3

Also this thread seems to suggest some avenues for you to explore: viewtopic.php?t=76133

BillyJ   1 mW

1 mW

Post by BillyJ » Sep 05 2019 3:24pm

MJSfoto1956 wrote:
Sep 03 2019 3:58pm
BillyJ wrote:
Sep 03 2019 3:39pm
Motor temp sensor on a MXUS V3 :thumb:
Not sure, but I have a funny feeling that this link might shed some light on the matter (even though it is about QSmotors): https://electricbike.com/forum/forum/ma ... analyst-v3

Also this thread seems to suggest some avenues for you to explore: viewtopic.php?t=76133
I found my problem...

The seller on AliExpress didn't include the sensor as "I didn't ask for it"?!?!?!?!!? it's also only a 10$ increase in price.... but obviously they still put the white wire in there to play with your emotions!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

MJSfoto1956   10 kW

10 kW

Post by MJSfoto1956 » Sep 06 2019 8:29am

BillyJ wrote:
Sep 05 2019 3:24pm
The seller on AliExpress didn't include the sensor as "I didn't ask for it"?!?!?!?!!? it's also only a 10$ increase in price.... but obviously they still put the white wire in there to play with your emotions!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Yeah that is a common trick endemic of much of AliExpress. I even had a Proforma invoice from one vendor that listed a rotor was to be included in their hub motor package. But after payment via PayPal, he sent an email showing some pix of what was going to be shipped and just needed confirmation on my shipping address. I missed that the rotor was not in the photo. When the package arrived without the rotor, I complained. But his first reaction was "but you approved the photos". I reminded him that I had a Proforma invoice that listed the rotor and he had to eat it. Lesson: if the order is custom and/or complex, be sure to get a paper trail.

YMMV

M