Puma VS bafang

First off Puma 14s emoli cells and a 50a infenion. This is a rear mount on a cheapy walmart suspension bike. Data says it all

kyaka.jpg

Second off Bafang 14s emoli cells 50a infenion (not a fresh charge 1ah out of pack). Front motor on a fairly decent Trek Nav 3.0.

Both tests were on the same route with me pedaling for exercise.

bafangkayakroute.jpg

Summary;
Well I can honestly say the Puma is FAR superior it can be riden around without pedaling and not worry to much about it. The bafang is assist only as far as I am concerned. It gets hot if you try and push it.

I have the puma on a mountain bike for off road use and it is amazing. The bafang is on a road bike and I think its just about right. The bafang cannot used without a watt meter or temp gauge if you are pushing it IMO.

Speed.
Bafang 22 mph on the flat with mild pedaling.
Puma 30 mph on the flat with no pedaling. (30 is faster than I can pedal)

Not too suprising. The puma is a nice motor. But the bafang is good too within it's operating limitations. Anything, tool, vehicle , whatever, has an envelope that it works great within, and a line you can cross to where it self destructs. Gotta know where the line is, and smoking things is an expensive way to find out.

I have a fusin gearmotor on the way, and intend to put a thermometer sensor in it asap. After riding my aotema with one, I really like knowing what's going on in there without stopping to take a temp reading off the cover plates.

Dogman,

Which gearmotor are you looking at? Is that the "worldwide" kit or something?

Nice to know this. I'd always go for a 600 watt BMC or the Puma if not for the doubled cost.

Back