A big thumbs down to Axiom brake pads

Lowell

100 kW
I wore my stock Avid Juicy 7 pads down to the backing plates on Sunday, so I went and bought a set of pads from the nearest bike shop. Axiom metallic compound "designed for increased stopping power..."

Well these pads are absolute smoking pieces of garbage. Where the stock Avid pads slow the bike from 100km/h no problem and never gave a hit of fade, the Axiom pads are visibly smoking and fading after a 90-40 application. At the bottom of Fraser st hill in Vancouver with a descent speed of only 50km/h they were noticeably faded. :evil:

know the feeling, I go through pads like toilet paper its crazy, the best most longest lasting ones have easily been the clarke pads I have in there now, they have lasted maybe 4 times as long as cheapo ones and perform a lot better.

P

Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh said:
Might consider regen braking, it would help extend the life of the pads.

Maybe for gentle braking, but when I brake, there's very little weight on the rear wheel, if it's even touching the ground. My rear brake is only for trail braking into corners and rarely gets used in a straight line.

Hey Lowell,

Would you elaborate on your trail braking technique?

Are you backing this thing into turns, or just scrubbing speed before the apex?

Thanks, -S

I wouldn't say backing into turns :lol: more like slight attitude adjustments, no big slip angles. I just went and looked at some pavement where I did a bunch of straight line braking while bedding in the Mono 6 pads, and the front tire left long faint black lines from threshold braking. This bike is way too much fun!

Hi
Regen on my TF works like charm, grinding rims trying to stop even from 30km/h is seems so archaic.
On 15% downhill TF regen keeps TF at 10km/hour. The beauty is the faster speed you brake from the strongest dragging force from motor working as generator. And think about it in wet weather, think about in minus temperatures , it never freezes. I change my front pads at about 5000km!!! Impossible without regen.
But I can imagine poorly designed and executed regens with little dragging force.
MC

No argument that grinding rims is archaic, which is why anyone who cares about stopping is using disc brakes these days. How does the TF regen stop from top speed down the same 15% downhill?

I'd like to try out a bike with a good, progressive and easy to modulate regen system.

That could be interesting for balancing wheelies, although I think it's tough to beat the rear brake on the left lever.

Yes,
Good quality regen-capable motor controller is essentilal, software controlling it is even more important.
Very slight pulling of left brake lever activate regen on TF.
Controller must have capabilities to allow energy to pass to battery from rotating motor with reverse rotating magnetic field.
Otherwise regen drag will be weak.
Yes, at slight downhills TF stops if regen applied.
Feeling of safety going down steep hill on regen is unparrarel to relaing on friction for slowing.
MC

Hey Lowell;

Given that the Axiom pads didn't work out what have you set up your bike with now?

gwsaltspring said:
Hey Lowell;

Given that the Axiom pads didn't work out what have you set up your bike with now?

I replaced the Avid Juicy 7's with Hope Mono 6 Ti's. The Hope pads are much larger and thicker than the Avids, and so far the stock Hope pads show hardly any wear. The Avid brakes have found a home on one of my other pedal only mountain bikes.

Back