Rmartin LX1 review: UPDATE

ToddB

1 µW
Update:

I have put maybe 300 miles on it so far.

I've been using this bike to tow my son around on his half bike. It works fine for that, going maybe 11mph on level ground with no pedaling. So including bikes plus us, it is pushing 370 lbs fairly well.

The bolts that hold the battery holder(slat) came loose, put some silicone on them and retighted.

There is a bit of play in the battery with the battery attached to battery slat, and it occassionaly bangs against the frame.
I'm either going to warp the slat slightly, or put a dap of silicone on the frame where it hits.

bike goes 13.2 mph with me(190lbs) on it, on level ground, no pedaling.

bike goes 15 mph on a slight decline, with throttle but no pedaling. On the same hill with no throttle or pedaling, it still goes 15mph. So I think the the motor provides virtually no power past 15mph. Seems to be more torque, and less speed than I would have preferred.

Range continues to be excellent, still around 20 miles or so with no pedaling.

I would consider upgrading the motor and controller, but apparently the shockley battery apparently has issues trying to push bigger motors.

I'm still happy with the bike for the price. Still much better than an izip imo.

end of update....

Hi,
I recently purchased an LX1 from Rmartin and thought I would share my experiences.
Range of the bike is good. I took it out on a long ride, with the battery dying after 26 miles. I provided maybe 20% of the power, so it looks like about a 20 mile range without pedaling. Ride was a rails to trails and had no major hills.
Price was pretty good. $799, $870 with shipping from ebay. you can buy it direct and pay $900 total, but you get free led lights, so a wash either way.
Without pedaling, it went maybe 12 mph on flats, not the 18mph advertised.
Frame is aluminum, total bike weighs about 50 lbs with battery attached, so reasonably light.
battery is a 36v 10a lifepo4, in a nice case which slides right in behind the seat post and locks. I think this is a shockley battery. This identical battery/case is selling on ebay for $299.
250w motor. works fine, does make a little noise starting from a dead stop.
seat- seat sucked and must be replaced.
green yellow red power indicator. After 25.9 miles, it was green. After 26 miles, battery was dead. A little more warning would be nice.
Had a few mechanical probs. The crank gear was loose upon arrival, causing the chain to come off. Developed a clanking noise in the crank, not sure what is was, the shop fixed it though. Screws in the rear splashguard unscrewed themselves, probably not tightened enough. Overall, quality of construction is medium.
There was no quick disconnect on front wheel, had one installed.
the pedelec takes about 1 to 2 seconds to kick in, not sure if this is slow or not.
bike is just a bit longer than a regular bike, because of the extra 4 inches for the battery, making it hard to fit into the back of my montero.
Despite the issues I had with it, I'm still pretty happy with it for the price, and would buy it again. I will give more updates in the future.

Get a bike rack that uses the trailer hitch reciever to attach it. They make a type that carries the bike by the wheels instead of hanging from the frame that works great with heavy ebikes. It's adjustable to take pretty long bikes too.

Back