9 Continents, 9X7 VS 6X10

Drunkskunk

100 GW
Last year I got one of Jason's $200 deals on the first run of 9C 9X7s, and built a bike of scrap parts around it. It preformed brilliantly, and using it as a back up bike and loaner, I've put 1000 miles on it. Its nearly flawless as an Ebike, but about as interesting to ride as listening to stories of other people's pets.

So this week I grabbed one of the 6X10 motors. Since it's identical, and I had a spare freewheel, tire, and tube, I was able to do some hot swap testing of the 2 motors.

Most of my testing was done for seat of the pants diffrence, but here's the numbers of whats measurable.

9X7 @55.5 Volts, 15s Lipo, 22A controller
700C X 37 semi slick tires.
38mph Unloaded speed
29mph top riding speed after 1/2 mile flat ground, no wind, tucked
38lbs of torque (*based on Ebikes.ca simulater, 52.8V battery)

6X10 @55.5 Volts, 15s Lipo, 22A controller
700C X 37 semi slick tires.
31mph Unloaded speed
24mph top riding speed after 1/2 mile flat ground, no wind, tucked
43lbs of torque? (*Geussing, but there is 5lbs diffrence between the 2805 and 2807, so 5lbs may be conservitive for the 2810)

The 9X7 rides smooth at top speed. It has good torque off the line, and can keep pace with cars going through an intersection. it will do a no-peddle, standing start up a 10% grade.. a wheelchair ramp 10 feet long, with a 1 foot rise. It complains loudly the whole way. Throttle response is imidiatte, but it can be hard to get the motor to go the exact speed you want. The torque curve flattens out above 20mph, and if you're going less than top speed, it takes constant throttle corrections to maintain a constant speed. Rolling up an 6 inch curb is easy enough, but you either need to be rolling when you approach it, or peddle assist the bike over the curb. you can stall the motor on mounting a curb from a standstill

The 6X10 Rides even smoother at it's top speed. It doesn't feel like much more torque than the 9X7, but you feel it pulling for longer. Accelleration feels about the same as the 9X7 but tops out at a lower top speed. It will do the same standing start up a 10% grade ramp, complaining as loudly at the start, but is quiet by the top. Throttle response is good, and it takes fewer throttle corrections to maintain a desired speed. Rolling up the same curb, the 6X10 won't stall out. It will complain very loudly, sounding like its going to chew through the cover and come bite you, but it will push the bike up and over from a standing start. The 6X10 is as loud as the 9X7, but it doesn't growl as much on accelleration

What I noticed most about the 6X10 was how much fun it was. Yes, the bike is 5mph slower, but the throttle response is better, and its ability to hold speed while changing hill grade or turning into a headwind is better. The motor was as loud as the 9X7, but it's quieter under load and climbing hills. it just complains less. After completing the same circuit as I had with the 9X7, I decided to take the bike off road a bit. It has road tires, is a hard tail, and the batteries are unsecured in a temporary seat rack, but it was dark and I had no headlight, so I figured I wasn't going to be too hard on it. The motor handled it well, pulling up hills I wouldn't have tried on the 9X7.

The Bike with the 9X7 was Zen like in it's balance of power and function. it was simply a tool that did its job well, and reliably. Boringly. The 6X10 gives it a kick in the @ss. I think I'll need to build a new bike around this motor, to take fulll advantage of it.

I'm finding my 6x10 sooo sweeet for slow trials type riding in dirt. I built trail near my house deliberatley and perversly crooked and difficult to ride at 5 mph. It's the right speed to pedal my specialized and run the dogs I bore you with stories about. Motorcycles stay off because it sucks for them.

But leave the dogs home and rip that trail at 10 mph, and it's as difficlut and fun as a black diamond steep run through the trees skiing Taos. Intense concentration, and instinct response time is required leaving you in that zone where you feel like you are floating above your body watching yourself do it. And all the while, on a hot ass day, the 6x10 never overheats the way other motors did on the same trail.

As soon as the lipo gets here, I find out if it still stays cool at 72v, if it does, I have a perfect bike for faster riding on dirt roads. Lucky us that got our hands on one.

Glad I got one too! Wish I would have grabbed another.. It feels good with my limited experience to note that others are finding the same results as I did. I'm not crazy after all :wink: It is kind of amazing to me that a simple change in windings can make such a difference. Hopefully it will come back and maybe even slower windings ( perfect for higher voltages ) will show up. It just stopped raining here, I think I need to go for a ride :mrgreen:

Way too much emphasis on top speed as the only goal. I was that way skiing too, had xc skis, mountaineering skis, mogul skis, downhill racing skis, and sevral types of snowboards. All were fun in different ways, but most couldn't understand why I wanted to ski anything else but the steep mogul runs. I had great times on the mountaineering skis traveling 5 mph in the deep woods when the runs were packed with doofus skiers, and when the ski area was empty enough, I'd break out the DH boards and ski 50 mph all day. Why not do it all?

Nice! I was very suprised how cool the motor ran while being brutally abused compared to other, faster setups. It pulls about 200 watts less at 48v than a 9x7, but it seemed like that was not the only reason. Easy to see where the " more tourque "myth comes from when you ride one of these slower winding motors. It certainly handles being in the high tourque slow speed better. The good tourque band seems wider before the motor spins up and gets weak.

disndat said:
Hey dogman I have run my 6x10 at 98 volts/75amps with lipos and it stayed surprisingly cool so you should be fine with 72 volts

What was your current and speed at WOT?

We are the lucky ones, who got these motors. :D

I went out yesterday and rode around on the DH with my Clyte in it set up for the same voltage, as a 4012.
The 6X10 is faster, and has more torque, even at a lower amp limit. But There's Also more noise and vibration than a Clyte. And as great of throttle response as the 6X10 has, the Clyte just feels better. And you can stall the 6X10 at Zero RPM, were the Clyte will give you as much torque at Zero RPM as it will at 20RPM. For a general purpose Jeep type bike, the Clyte wins.
But the 6X10 has so much more torque, and will keep so much cooler than the Clyte, its an Ideal off road motor.

So basically I have the 6X10 in the wrong bike. What I need is another DH style bike to stick this in. The bike it's in now will never be a serious off road bike, and this thing deserves a bike that can handle it.

So I'm going to have yet another bike in my garage......... :shock:

I'm considering a 9C 6X10 for my Trek tandem. I want to put it on the front wheel and run it at 48v using 4 X 12v-12ah BandBs slas. I have a 1 mile 10% grade to climb everytime I ride. The front fork is steel (I guess). Question: Will the front fork handle the motor if it's steel? Any other considerations? Should I go ahead? Thanks.

It's nice to see all the good reviews of the 6x10. I got mine to use as a mid drive ahead of an 8 speed internal geared hub. Except for the large diameter, all the specs about the motor were just what I was looking for. I was so happy with it after it arrived that I grabbed another one just to put on the shelf for now. :D

Now that I've got freewheels on the motor and cranks it is super smooth and working great. In high gear it runs a little over 20 MPH on the level, which is as fast as I can pedal with my gearing (and faster than I normally want to ride my trike). 20 inch wheel with 18 tooth cog, 16 tooth cog on the motor, and 48 tooth chainring. In low gear it runs over 8 MPH on the level and maintains over 5 MPH with moderate pedaling on hills up to 20% grade.

The other day I rode up a side road that climbed at 5 to 10% grade for 1 1/2 miles. I used 3rd gear and maintained 7 to 8 MPH with moderate pedaling. Nothing heated up. Again, I am very happy with this setup and expect to use it for years. :D

I'm thinking we gotta keep this motor avaliable somehow, if nothing else by special order on the next containerfull. If something ever happens to my rear 6x10 I'm gonna cry. :(

Today I had such a fun time on it. I rode about 15 miles of dirt roads and singletrack in the Dona Anna mts on 10 ah of 48v. Tons of steep rollercoasters taken just as fast uphill as down no pedaling. Up and down a few slickrocks of 10 degrees, not percent , degrees. Ok a few pumps of the pedals for that. A long blast down a really twisty arroyo trail of deep gravel. Finishing off with a ride back to where I parked uphill for two miles of 4" deep sugar sand road. :mrgreen: Hell, NOBODY makes bike tracks up that sand road! Pedaling it's a huge chore to take that route downhill. Big crowd on the trails, all sweating their butts off except me, zipping uphill on the trail at 15 mph with a watermellon eating grin on my face :mrgreen:

I just converted my commuter-long distance bike to 6x10 front in 26". Max speed of 20 mph is perfect for the bike trails I commute on, especially in summer when the idiots all come out to walk. I'm guessing my range will be at least 5 miles farther than before. I frequently see sub 300 watts on the CA when up to full speed on flat ground.

Last time I looked at the 6x10 blowout thread it looked like these guys had a lot left... unless they just didn't update their list? Do they have none left?

They seem to be gone now, and the 26" rear hubs have been gone for awhile. Oh well, perhaps by the time I wear mine out there will be easy bolt on kits for RC motors for the fabrication impaired hubbie lovers.

Took mine on some serious climbing today and it did fine. First thing I have rode that it really seemed to bog down on. About 5 miles of 12-14% grade dirt road. But with a bit of pedaling, no problem. The motor did actually get hot after 5 miles of that kind of climb. Not bad for a frock motor. Most would overheat in a lot less distance at that kind of grade.

Thanks for letting me ride your 9x10 the other day :D I do like it's climbing ability as well. I ordered a 9x7 though for my 13 mile commute that I take. I still need the speed for that one. Hopefully I'll get my cyclone back up and running though and you can give it a try. Maybe I'll get the rc thing figured out by fall.

Wineboyrider and I got togther for a ride in the mountains recently. His well worn cyclone gave out though, tons of miles on it and normal wear finally caught up with it. The 6x10 did ok. First time I really saw it get hot and bog down on a slope. But then it was about 6 miles of 12-14% grade we were riding on. Lower on the mountain at 10%, it was still going over 15 mph up it.

Really fun to get together with an ES character. He likes speed so I'll have to drag him to the races next time. He just converted to lipo too, so maybe he'll beat me.

Got my new 9 fet Lyen controller today! Also got my ping pack all balanced out and working great. So life is good in wineboyrider land! Now I just need to wire up my controller and figure out the phase wires? Next down the line will be cycle analyst like you've got and maybe just maybe an rc setup by Christmas?
That 6x10 can climb pretty good as it took my 200 lbs up that hill and all that mountain riding you and I did was a blast. We'll definitely have to do it again when I get my stuff together. 8) I also got to get the programmable usb wire for it too so I can program it for my new 9c 9x7 (on the way) .

wineboyrider said:
Got my new 9 fet Lyen controller today! Also got my ping pack all balanced out and working great. So life is good in wineboyrider land! Now I just need to wire up my controller and figure out the phase wires? Next down the line will be cycle analyst like you've got and maybe just maybe an rc setup by Christmas?
That 6x10 can climb pretty good as it took my 200 lbs up that hill and all that mountain riding you and I did was a blast. We'll definitely have to do it again when I get my stuff together. 8) I also got to get the programmable usb wire for it too so I can program it for my new 9c 9x7 (on the way) .

Hi Wineboyrider, here is the hall and phase color lining to your 9C motor. :)

Ebikekit 9C Motor Wire Lining with Lyen controller:

Controller: Motor:
Hall:
Y Y
G B
B G

Phase:
Y Y
G B
B G

Regards,
Lyen

Just took a ride till cutout on my 6x10 front hub commuter. 48v 15 ah pingbattery. 38 miles at full throttle. 90% of the ride done at 20 mph in moderate wind, and about 1500 vertical feet of uphill and downhill or more along the way. Not bad. I would think my 36v 20 ah would go over 40 miles due to lower top speed. So a 75 mile ride without charging is possible. the 9x7 should go just as far ridden at the same speed, but keeping it that slow for 75 miles would be hard for me.

There are two excellent dealers, in canada ebikes.ca and in the US ebikekit.com i have ordered from both of them and can recommend them. Sometimes you can pick up a used kit or a sale kit here in the items for sale thread.

Back