Prodeco Phantom X first 40 miles

Danimal1950

1 µW
I drove from Tampa area to pick up my Prodeco Phantom X bike from a distributer in Coral Springs, Florida, so there were no problems from shipping. We folded the bike and found the best way to store it behind the seats of my SUV. My Melon folding bikes with 20 inch wheels are less than half as heavy and much easier to throw into the back of my vehicle but I'm thankfull that I now have a full sized 500 watt electric that does not need a bike rack to transport.

My bike was #50 off of the production line.

Bike looks and feels like it is on steroids. The 36 volt battery got me just shy of 40 miles on the first charge with mixed pedal and motoring. It achieves a top speed of 20 miles per hour when pedal assisted with gears 5 through 7. It's a heavy bike at around 55 pounds but I was able to comfortably pedal (no motor) in gears 1 through 5. I've always had a bike but never like this. Disk Brakes, 36 inch fat tires, deep rims, full size folding aluminum frame, adjustable front shocks, and 500 watt motor with 36 volt Lipo are a new experience for me.

I waited about 7 weeks for delivery. During that time Prodeco was not very responsive to our queries regarding production and delivery. That had me worried but I think they reorganized because now they are very responsive to questions and are quickly delivering a few back ordered items.

This bike cost me $1099. I don't know how they are making profit at this price point especially considering the much higher cost of other electric bikes with less features. I am impressed when I look at the quality of this bike and it's accessories at that price. Prodeco's mission statements and advice in their user manual seem sincere about bringing about the electric bike revolution. This bike gets a lot of attention so I am going to be cautious about leaving it unattended even when it is locked and secured. I would definitely repeat the purchase.

I also purchased one of the first Prodeco Phantom X bikes and have been very satisfied. After about 800 miles its still basically in new condition. Other than the need for a tune-up on the derailleur and disc brakes; I feel I'll be issue free for the next 1,000 miles.

Hello, I have also been looking at the Prodeco products. Does anyone know if the Phantom, Storm, Genesis, or hopefully - Mariner, can take a back bicycle rack? And also fenders? Whatever bike i get, I really would like to have the option of a rack and a rack and fenders on the mariner would be perfect for me (maybe with a slightly more powerful motor than the 200w it comes with - and I think they do offer that.)

This is my first post and I think I finally hit paydirt finding this site. So, "Hello to all."

-Sasha

I Sasha, welcome to ES.

I don't own one of these bikes but I can tell you most fenders are meant to be universal to any bike. You can go to your local bike shop and have them pick out a fender combo that should fit your bike. As for rear racks, this bike is a hard tail so most racks should fit it, as they too are meant to be universal. If you have a hard time finding a rack that will mount on to the bike, you can always go with a rear rack that mounts to the seat post. Those are what most with full suspension uses. They support up to 30 pounds and are stable enough for just about anything you might want to carry. Again, your local bike shop should be able to help you pcik out a rack that will best suit your needs.

Thanks Pure!
I appreciate the tips. Also, I got a friendly email from Prodeco today and I should have my answers from them shortly. I will let everyone know. Don't mean to hijack this thread so will probably start a new one. On the subject of the Phantom X though, it and the the two like it, but less powerful (The Genesis and The Storm), look like great bikes and if I didn't likely need something smaller I would be leaning their way. For about a thousand dollars, my thinking is, I could think of it as an electric kit that comes with a nice bike. Down the road I could probably just take the electric components and switch them to another bike of my choosing. Good to hear some good things about the Phantom though. It encourages my faith in Prodeco.

-Sasha

Hi,

I am actually going to Prodeco store at lunch today in Arlington Va. I have read about the bikes and I believe they do not have a pedal assist system only a throttle, my question is can that be added?

Thanks

Mark

not much help, he was just starting his shop but scheduled a test ride for next week

Mark

Hi Opimax,

Where exactly is the shop in Arlington, VA?

Ambrose

3206 North 10th St, part of a Vespa dealer. He had 1 Interceptor to show me but it was in another container. I said I would schedule a test ride next week

Mark

I've had the Phantom x for 3 weeks now and I love it. I ride 11 miles round trip to work, up and down hills and usually come home for lunch so I make two round trips a day. On the flats it cruises at about 19mph, I pedal the hills but it will take me up the hills at about 10-14mph depending on their steepness without peddling. Actually I pedal the entire trip because i want this for exercise and transportation. It flies! I feel like i have the wind at my back all the time. It's heavy. I wouldn't want to get stuck cycling up a hill without the motor. I charge it every night. Have done 40 miles on a charge with peddling and had plenty of charge to spare. Don't know how long the charge will last.

Complaints- got a flat on the back wheel and it was not the easiest to repair. Too many things to unscrew. The cruise control button is awkwardly placed.

that's it.

May buy another so my friends can ride with me for pleasure. Everyone who heard about the ebike called me a 'cheater' Then they all tried it and to a person, loved the bike.

Hi Opimax,

I think you may be thinking of the Pedego Interceptor. It's a bit different than the Prodeco Phantom X.

bike_5_42_47_43.png

vs. the Prodeco Phantom X

Ambrose

opimax said:
Hi,

I am actually going to Prodeco store at lunch today in Arlington Va. I have read about the bikes and I believe they do not have a pedal assist system only a throttle, my question is can that be added?

Thanks

Mark

oh shucks, you are correct, my apologies, thx for pointing that out , I will check the bikes again...

Mark

I have a Phantom on order and impressed with the specs, except what's up with the 19"? Battery sticking way past the rear wheel! The glamor shots picture it much shorter than the few YouTube videos the have just been posted.

Gerry

Sasha said:
Hello, I have also been looking at the Prodeco products. Does anyone know if the Phantom, Storm, Genesis, or hopefully - Mariner, can take a back bicycle rack? And also fenders?

-Sasha
I've had the Phantom X for about 3 weeks now, (I will post a full review after I put a few more miles on it) but the bike rack is something I've just completed.
My main reason to install a rack is there is no place for a water bottle mount on the bike, and obviously a small bag is needed for a tube and tools anyway, so I went with a trunk bag that is about 8" wide and 13" long. big enough to carry the necessitates without looking like a huge pannier, its large enough that in the future I'll be able to carry the charger with me for overnight trips too

It took me 3 tries to find a seat post mounted rack that fit properly without hitting the battery and not having the seat way too high.
Avinir makes a fairly straight rack with just a slight angle on the piece that attaches to the post, anything too steep and there's no room because the angle causes the rack to hit the top of the battery, or you need to raise the seat to a ridiculous height. I found the rack at Dick's sports and it cost about $30

I placed an order about 1 month ago to use this as a commuter bike. The distance to the train is about 2 miles downhill all the way. SO after a long day 2 miles uphill to home.

I hope Prodeco gets their act together with the battery redesign and starts to ship these soon. I'm looking forward to some fun on my commute.

If anyone has heard anything about shipping the new Phantom please post it here.

Jack

I think the PhantomX is nice in that Prodeco is willing to provide a two year warranty on it.

The dealer called and the Phantom will begin shipping 1st week of September. Once these are gone the next production run will be in October. According to the dealer the rumored battery rack/redesign did not happen yet.

Any chance to increase the voltage level to 48V without seriously modifying much to avoid the warranty?

neithermovingnorstill said:
Thanks for posting this review.
I'm curious what the unassisted top speed is?
And how many miles can it go at that average speed on the flat?

(& How much do you weigh?)

Unassisted top speed on flat ground seems to be 18 mph. I weigh 165. Haven't run for any length of time without peddling so icant really tell you how long the battery will last. I really love this bike!

Howie

Mtek said:
Sasha said:
Hello, I have also been looking at the Prodeco products. Does anyone know if the Phantom, Storm, Genesis, or hopefully - Mariner, can take a back bicycle rack? And also fenders?

-Sasha
I've had the Phantom X for about 3 weeks now, (I will post a full review after I put a few more miles on it) but the bike rack is something I've just completed.
My main reason to install a rack is there is no place for a water bottle mount on the bike, and obviously a small bag is needed for a tube and tools anyway, so I went with a trunk bag that is about 8" wide and 13" long. big enough to carry the necessitates without looking like a huge pannier, its large enough that in the future I'll be able to carry the charger with me for overnight trips too

It took me 3 tries to find a seat post mounted rack that fit properly without hitting the battery and not having the seat way too high.
Avinir makes a fairly straight rack with just a slight angle on the piece that attaches to the post, anything too steep and there's no room because the angle causes the rack to hit the top of the battery, or you need to raise the seat to a ridiculous height. I found the rack at Dick's sports and it cost about $30

Just curious why you added cargo carrying capacity to the back of the bike. With the rear motor and battery it's pretty rear heavy as is. I've been afraid to add more weight to the back. Perhaps something small on the front frame?

Howie

I am waiting for delivery on the Phantom X. Can any of the early purchaser's comment on their roughly half year of use. Still satisfied, or not? Thanks.

Prodeco has a preview of their new line-up for 2012. You can see they changed the battery design. all their bikes now sport the 36 V battery.

I hope they ship these soon. I am getting tired of the wait.

http://prodecotech.com/Catalog%20PDF%20Presentation.pdf

jackrussellny, Thanks for that link. Alot of prodeco models now have the big Direct Drive motors for super reliability and power.
Even the step-thru model has a Direct Drive version Wow, and those batteries look pretty small.

Saw the new 2012 bike line-up on Prodeco's web page. Seems to be the same Phantom X bike with slight modifications to the appearance ( and price ). But, the battery displayed on the photo's are clearly smaller than recent Phantom X productions. It would be nice if Prodeco could shrink the current 19" battery for the last deliveries of the Phantom X without shrinking the ah's as well. I still want the bike, but the 19" battery looks weird and out of place sticking out that far aft.

Back