Cycle Analyst V3 preview and first beta release

Get real world experience and user feedback on the electric bicycle products.
johnrobholmes   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Re: Cycle Analyst V3 preview and first beta release

Post by johnrobholmes » Apr 13 2012 9:18am

Great explanation of the firmware upgrading, thanks! Even a communications dummy like me can figure that out.

teklektik   10 GW

10 GW

Post by teklektik » Apr 13 2012 4:09pm

"Give 'em an inch and..."

Justin -
Recently there were a couple of threads that discussed related issues:
  1. A case of lending a bike where the bike was too much for the rider and led to a spill, and
  2. A situation of building up a powered trike for an 11 year old girl with some coordination issues.
In both these cases, it would be desirable to limit the speed/power in a fashion that would be impossible to alter by the rider. So, once again we come to Justin with a feature request (albeit much lower on the 'would-be-nice' scale).

In addition to the Street and Trail modes, add a Valet or Secure mode that once entered, requires a password to enter Setup or change mode. (Emphasize: password only comes into effect if Valet mode is set :wink:). Using the standard CA rolling digit selector, a 4-6 digit number could be set in Setup as a password, much like a home security system. Entering this to get into Setup or to allow escape from Valet mode would be a bit of a PITA, but that's sort of the idea. If the password was set to 999999, then the security feature would be disabled, no password prompt would appear, and Valet mode would operate as do Street and Trail modes. A forgotten password would need to be addressed with a reflash.

This would address both situations above and other similar cases where the operator may have a little too much 'WooHoo!' and cleverness for his own good.
Last edited by teklektik on Apr 13 2012 4:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit Grin Technologies at www.ebikes.ca
Build Thread: 2WD Yuba Mundo V4

oatnet   10 MW

10 MW

Post by oatnet » Apr 13 2012 4:16pm

teklektik wrote:
justin_le wrote:
teklektik wrote: Already requested - CA V3 Street/Trail mode. Set Street mode for 'legal', Trail mode for 'WooHoo!'.
So just like several "mode" presets would be good, so too would several battery presets. ...
It will require a fair bit of reworking the firmware and eeprom memory space to pull this off, but I should be able to do it within the next month I think.
Wow - now that was unexpected - I was thinking more like v3.1! This is too cool. 8) 8) 8) 8)
Need I say it? Thanks yet again!
+1, This is wonderful, thanks! I have been dreaming of having a selectable street/offroad presets for years, I had considered defeating CA control with a switch on the brake line, but that meant programming the CA for a restrictive street mode, and not using control features the rest of the time.

Having several presets is a game changer. If there were four presets, mine would be: "Noob", "Street", "Offroad", and "Pucker"
:lol:
-JD
Member 117 of 26,000+

153v DUNE BUGGY © 164v Vectrix E-Moto © 72v Norco A-line/x5403 © 60v Specialized Enduro Comp/BMC © 72v x5tracycle © 48v TF IO/BMC © 36v Kepler FrictionDrive © Spot-Welding a123 © Pelican Front Packs © Vectrix Battery Replacement © MORE !!

Image大鸡巴 Motors
Knowledge is acquired through experience, everything else is just information - Albert Einstein
"Cheater?" I'm not competing, I'm Commuting!

justin_le   10 MW

10 MW

Post by justin_le » Apr 13 2012 5:43pm

johnrobholmes wrote:Great explanation of the firmware upgrading, thanks! Even a communications dummy like me can figure that out.
Really? I still thought it is somewhat cumbersome, so after I posted that we did a last minute change to the bootloader timeouts such that the flashing program can have time to poll the various available com ports and auto-detect the one to which a CA is connected. We'll also plan to have the most recent firmware directly linked in the flashing utility. So the dream explanation for upgrading firmware would be as follows:

1) Double-Click Flash Updater Program
2) Plug in CA to computer
3) Hit "Update Firmware" button!

By the time it's out of beta phase hopefully we can have it implemented like that, but for now all the beta users are going to have to struggle with a few extra clicks and selecting the right COM port ;-)

-Justin
Currently recovering from the Suntrip race on a back to back tandem solar powered row/cycle trike. 550 watt solar roof, dual Grin All Axle hub motors, dual Phaserunner controllers, 12 LiGo batteries, and a whole wack of gear.

Now back in Vancouver with my Big Dummy Frame (yes This One, thanks ES!) with Grin all-axle front hub, Phaserunner controller, and 52V 19Ah Cellman triangle pack
My website: http://www.ebikes.ca
Please contact via email, info@ebikes.ca, rather than PMs, which are disabled

johnrobholmes   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Post by johnrobholmes » Apr 13 2012 6:23pm

Sure it may be a bit cumbersome, but having a bootloader program written is a huge step! I'm sure you will end up with a header or plug that is standard for firmware upgrades in the future too. In a matter of time you may even have parameters adjustable in the firmware upgrading program! I'm certainly glad to have you around to learn from.

Trackman417   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Trackman417 » Apr 13 2012 8:39pm

I just cant help but smile on how HUGE of a leap you are making, with the CA, Justin!!!!!! :D
All of this is just too much! If I didn't buy my bike kit from you two months ago I would have waited for the V3 CA. But thats how the cookie crumbles I guess. ahah I knew I should've waited! Ah well.
Is there going to be a LMH switch for the new CA now? That would be pretty cool! If so could it be integrated with the same switch that crystalyte uses for their controllers?
Once again
Thanks Justin! :D
K2 Sidewinder
H4065 36 mph
20s2p 10aH lipo battery pack
If it didn't kill you, it just built your character.
You know your bike is powerful when even you, the builder, can't control it.
Customer 00001 at our very own Bigmooses online store http://mtg-technologies.com/zencart/ Great guy, great products.

Sacman   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Sacman » Apr 13 2012 11:57pm

Trackman417 wrote: Is there going to be a LMH switch for the new CA now? That would be pretty cool! If so could it be integrated with the same switch that crystalyte uses for their controllers?
Since you're thinking along those lines you might as well include a throttle latching Cruise Control feature that sets a constant speed and/or releases it ... using an external momentary switch (like the regen button on some twist throttles).

Hyena   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Hyena » Apr 14 2012 6:48am

I've only just caught up on this thead, AWESOME work Justin. So many cool and much needed features. Along with everything else I'm especially pleased to see both the temp control and multiple power modes, they're 2 things I've spent time toying to get a cheap, neat and easy solution and having it all tied into the CA is ideal. I guess it's more the hot rodders that will be concerned with the temperature limiting but it'd be nice if the motor manufacturers started including thermistors. For the 20c extra it'd cost it'd be nice to have it there even if not used by the majority of people.
NeilP wrote:I would really like to see this as an 'undocumented' secret feature.
Something along the lines of
Push and hold the both front panel buttons simulatneously for 4 seconds to switch to road legal mode. another 4 second push to go to wide open mode.
I would like to see no reference to it in the setup screens..
While you're at it, I want a cheat mode that unlocks unlimited amp hours :P
Oh, and "no clipping" mode for when riding in traffic :lol:
NeilP wrote:I want a way, that if stopped, you can quickly toggle to a road legal speed mode without the use of an external switch that any eagle eyed police officer or vehicle inspector can see and say "What does this do"
We've discussed this many times before and there's several options, my favourite was a reed switch in the grip that was only activated by the rider wearing a secret magnetic 'decoder ring' :lol:
It sounds like Justin is all over it though
www.HyenaElectricBikes.com
Aussie high powered e-bike kits and custom performance ebikes
New FUTR and Hyena special edition Beta frames now available!
My build and HD video thread____. My youtube channel____ Hyena Facebook page
My bike is writing cheques my body can't cash...

NeilP   10 GW

10 GW

Post by NeilP » Apr 14 2012 7:12am

Hyena wrote:
NeilP wrote:I want a way, that if stopped, you can quickly toggle to a road legal speed mode without the use of an external switch that any eagle eyed police officer or vehicle inspector can see and say "What does this do"
We've discussed this many times before and there's several options, my favourite was a reed switch in the grip that was only activated by the rider wearing a secret magnetic 'decoder ring' :lol:
I already do this, reed switch, and magnet on frame. but magnet is likely to get lost, fall off..it has happened, and then you are left to riding home at 15 mph. Plus if an inspection department wanted to get serious and open up the side panel on my bike and look they are likely to see the reed switch etc. Would just be easier done from the CA
:) Only Irish coffee provides in a glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, and fat :)

teklektik   10 GW

10 GW

Post by teklektik » Apr 14 2012 8:12am

Trackman417 wrote:Is there going to be a LMH switch for the new CA now? If so could it be integrated with the same switch that crystalyte uses for their controllers?
This is a feature currently available by tinkering together a few resistors. As mentioned in an earlier post, section 9.2 of the CA v2.23 Manual explains a feature allowing external control of current limiting. You can rig the Xlyte LMH switch to limit with percentages of the Max Amps configuration (e.g. 33% 66% 100%). In this simple version the throttle range will not be expanded to fill the full range of throttle movement, but WOT will give you no more than the LMH setting exactly as if you had adjusted Max Amps. If this will do what you need, I can post details (just trying not to wander OT unless there is interest :wink: ).

NeilP   10 GW

10 GW

Post by NeilP » Apr 14 2012 8:40am

Hyena wrote:
NeilP wrote:I would really like to see this as an 'undocumented' secret feature.
Something along the lines of
Push and hold the both front panel buttons simulatneously for 4 seconds to switch to road legal mode. another 4 second push to go to wide open mode.
I would like to see no reference to it in the setup screens..
While you're at it, I want a cheat mode that unlocks unlimited amp hours :P
Oh, and "no clipping" mode for when riding in traffic :lol:
Why is the suggestion for having a quick two button push to change modes in the same 'impossible' league as ' unlimited Ah'. Or a ' no clipping ' mode?
:) Only Irish coffee provides in a glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, and fat :)

Hyena   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Hyena » Apr 14 2012 8:46am

It was more a joke about the secret combination of buttons to unlock hidden features - like cheat modes in games
www.HyenaElectricBikes.com
Aussie high powered e-bike kits and custom performance ebikes
New FUTR and Hyena special edition Beta frames now available!
My build and HD video thread____. My youtube channel____ Hyena Facebook page
My bike is writing cheques my body can't cash...

NeilP   10 GW

10 GW

Post by NeilP » Apr 14 2012 8:50am

Hyena wrote:It was more a joke about the secret combination of buttons to unlock hidden features - like cheat modes in games
Ah ok, I'll not feel so insulted then :wink:

Trackman417   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Trackman417 » Apr 14 2012 1:08pm

teklektik wrote:
Trackman417 wrote:Is there going to be a LMH switch for the new CA now? If so could it be integrated with the same switch that crystalyte uses for their controllers?
This is a feature currently available by tinkering together a few resistors. As mentioned in an earlier post, section 9.2 of the CA v2.23 Manual explains a feature allowing external control of current limiting. You can rig the Xlyte LMH switch to limit with percentages of the Max Amps configuration (e.g. 33% 66% 100%). In this simple version the throttle range will not be expanded to fill the full range of throttle movement, but WOT will give you no more than the LMH setting exactly as if you had adjusted Max Amps. If this will do what you need, I can post details (just trying not to wander OT unless there is interest :wink: ).
Details are good!!! PM me so I do not clog this thread with questions... :mrgreen:
Thanks for the offer!
K2 Sidewinder
H4065 36 mph
Customer 00001 at our very own Bigmooses online store http://mtg-technologies.com/zencart/ Great guy, great products.

teklektik   10 GW

10 GW

Post by teklektik » Apr 14 2012 1:33pm

Trackman417 wrote:...Details are good!!! PM me...
Done! :)

Trackman417   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Trackman417 » Apr 14 2012 9:49pm

teklektik wrote:
Trackman417 wrote:...Details are good!!! PM me...
Done! :)
You are the man!!
Can't forget about Justin either :mrgreen:
K2 Sidewinder
H4065 36 mph

cell_man   100 kW

100 kW

Post by cell_man » Apr 15 2012 3:09am

Hey Justin,

I only caught up with this thread last night and a pic of me too.... Anyways, I can see you have a lot on right now, but try to put me on that list for the New V3 and the other bits we discussed. Can't wait to have a play with it, stellar work as ever :wink:

Was a pleasure to meet up again, and hope you can get over again soon, you will not recognise the place next time you come.

All the best
Paul
Visit http://www.EM3ev.com/ for our Ebike Kits and in-house battery packs. Online Shipping quotes to most popular destinations, with automated PayPal checkout.

Browse the site or drop us a line via the contact page: http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route= ... on/contact

Alan B   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Alan B » Apr 15 2012 10:13pm

Nice improvements. Signed up!

One of my thoughts has been a "percent throttle" that would simultaneously limit on a number of parameters, whichever was the highest at the moment. So the throttle puts out 0-100%, and whichever is the highest % value at the time becomes the determining factor. There are a list of items that could be included (whichever is highest at the moment):

Battery Current (power)
Speed
Phase current (torque, might require a sensor)
Motor Voltage (similar to speed but quicker to measure)

This way, if the throttle is at 10% you would not get more than 10% of speed, power, or torque. In different situations different values would become the limiting factor, but you would get a full range control on whatever was the limit at the moment. This would make the throttle work a lot nicer without all the other complicated algorithms. It would essentially start out as a torque/power throttle but would not keep climbing in speed when the speed reached the percent setting.

shorza   1 kW

1 kW

Post by shorza » Apr 15 2012 10:52pm

Very keen and very impatient.
Any idea when the pilot batch will be released?

hjns   100 kW

100 kW

Post by hjns » Apr 19 2012 2:29am

Hi all,

Just to inform other interested people that I have received a very polite email from Grin that there is some delay in shipping the beta units, and that they did not want to ship an incomplete unit. They included a very detailed description of the issues, and hope to ship them out quite soon.

I am very impressed with the fact that they do this final QC step prior to shipping, that they have a plan for solving the issues found, and how this is communicated to the clients. Very high standard, and very good! Keep it up Justin!

At this moment I am mostly looking forwards to the throttle remapping features and the integration/feedback loops with the temperature sensors. :mrgreen:
Henk

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence

wojtek   10 kW

10 kW

Post by wojtek » Apr 19 2012 10:44am

OK excellent , im in for one too

thanks for the update
WIRES AND CONNECTORS
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/vi ... 31&t=30176
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 31&t=32244

KMX Cobra with Xlyte 5403
Go-One Evo with Cromotor
BATMOBILE - Astro 3220 / Nuvinci in progress
Giant CRS Alliance - yes, just pushbike! frock you..
3Element Espire - SOLD
Custom built Specialized BigHit with BBS02 - SOLD
Velokraft e-VK3 SOLD
Steintrike Mungo Sport HS3540-SOLD
Scorpion FS HS3540-SOLD
Kona Dawg BMC v2-SOLD

Alan B   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Alan B » Apr 19 2012 5:39pm

I received a shipping email, perhaps they are moving?

teklektik   10 GW

10 GW

Post by teklektik » Apr 19 2012 6:01pm

Alan B wrote:I received a shipping email...
Me too! (...rubbing hands together and making yummie sounds...) :mrgreen:

Tench   100 kW

100 kW

Post by Tench » Apr 19 2012 6:38pm

Me too too!! :D

Not long now!
Project one http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... ilit=tench
Project Two http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=37489
The uk's first Stealth Bomber

There is a box inside your head, inside amongst others are the words "Wont fit" stop looking for answers in the box, there are no answers only excuses.

teklektik   10 GW

10 GW

Post by teklektik » Apr 20 2012 9:19am

[ding dong!]
"Good morning, sign here please."

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: (Happy Dance!) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thank you, Justin!