Cycle Analyst V3 preview and first beta release

Get real world experience and user feedback on the electric bicycle products.
izeman   10 GW

10 GW

Re: Cycle Analyst V3 preview and first beta release

Post by izeman » Jul 04 2019 5:17am

justin_le wrote:
Jul 04 2019 5:10am
There were a number of reasons for this but one of them came down to limited eeprom memory space for additional parameters as we added all the new features in CA3.1 (like digi-aux)...
Btw, as you wrote that: Is there a planned feature list for new firmwares? Is CA3 still developed?
You may remember my feature request for "little throttle applied if speed>0 to take out slack in drive train on mid drives". Is this still on the future list? I guess this could be implemented very easily if memory is still available and would help a lot of people with mid drives. Thanks

justin_le   10 MW

10 MW

Post by justin_le » Jul 04 2019 3:11pm

izeman wrote:
Jul 04 2019 5:17am
Btw, as you wrote that: Is there a planned feature list for new firmwares? Is CA3 still developed?
Yes, there is definitely ongoing development going on with the CA product line, but some of this has switched track to being more hardware related rather than firmware related which I'll be posting about soon.
You may remember my feature request for "little throttle applied if speed>0 to take out slack in drive train on mid drives". Is this still on the future list? I guess this could be implemented very easily if memory is still available and would help a lot of people with mid drives. Thanks
For now we have this feature recently implemented directly in the motor controller itself rather than in the CA3, see this post here
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=65031&start=1175#p1478783

It's generally difficult for the CA3 itself to regulate constant lower power levels in the 10-30 watt range with conventional PWM based motor controllers. If you do have a mid-drive setup that you want to try this on and have a regular controller rather than a phaserunner, try setting a lower power limit just enough to keep the motor engaged and see how stable that is as the bike speeds up and slows down. This would help indicate how viable a CA3 based solution could be.
Previously competed in the Suntrip race on a back to back tandem solar powered row/cycle trike. 550 watt solar roof, dual Grin All Axle hub motors, dual Phaserunner controllers, 12 LiGo batteries, and a whole wack of gear.

Now back in Vancouver learning to be a dad with my Big Dummy Frame (yes This One, thanks ES!) with GMAC 10T rear hub motor, Phaserunner controller, and 52V 19Ah EM3EV pack
My website: http://www.ebikes.ca
Please contact via email, info@ebikes.ca, rather than PMs, which are disabled

izeman   10 GW

10 GW

Post by izeman » Jul 04 2019 4:46pm

justin_le wrote:
Jul 04 2019 3:11pm
It's generally difficult for the CA3 itself to regulate constant lower power levels in the 10-30 watt range with conventional PWM based motor controllers. If you do have a mid-drive setup that you want to try this on and have a regular controller rather than a phaserunner, try setting a lower power limit just enough to keep the motor engaged and see how stable that is as the bike speeds up and slows down. This would help indicate how viable a CA3 based solution could be.
I use a Lebowski controller. Very happy with it, but it never got that feature added unfortunately.
Nucular has someting like that implemented in the controller as well.
I guess it wouldn't be too hard to implement. Just check it speed>x km/h, then add some (pre defined) voltage to the idle throttle voltage. No need to check for Watts used or so, even though that would be convenient. I guess a simple implementation like that would really help.

justin_le   10 MW

10 MW

Post by justin_le » Jul 05 2019 10:02pm

izeman wrote:
Jul 04 2019 4:46pm
I guess it wouldn't be too hard to implement. Just check it speed>x km/h, then add some (pre defined) voltage to the idle throttle voltage. No need to check for Watts used or so, even though that would be convenient. I guess a simple implementation like that would really help.
Correct. The risk with this and this is what we found when testing it with the CA3 is that the the amount of voltage to just offset drag torque was just a hairline above the starting throttle voltage for the controller making it quite sensitive to variations in the ground offsets or other types of drift. For instance with the CA if you have a bright bike light hooked up on the front and turn it on, then that might put like 200mA through the CA's ground return wire to the controller, which lifts the CA ground about 0.03V higher than the controller ground. This makes the throttle output voltage from the CA also increase by 30mV, which at these very low throttle signals means a lot more torque on the motor.

That's not to say we won't implement it as a feature just that it would require some caveats for usage. Have you tried with your setup with the Lebowskie controller of just setting the Min Throttle Output to be slightly higher than the throttle threshold on the motor controller? What you can do is use the ebrake out voltage as a way to make the controller actually shut off when you are stopped etc, and then otherwise without the ebrake line active then there is always a min throttle out signal commanding just a small amount of torque from the hub.
Previously competed in the Suntrip race on a back to back tandem solar powered row/cycle trike. 550 watt solar roof, dual Grin All Axle hub motors, dual Phaserunner controllers, 12 LiGo batteries, and a whole wack of gear.

Now back in Vancouver learning to be a dad with my Big Dummy Frame (yes This One, thanks ES!) with GMAC 10T rear hub motor, Phaserunner controller, and 52V 19Ah EM3EV pack

izeman   10 GW

10 GW

Post by izeman » Jul 06 2019 6:33am

justin_le wrote:
Jul 05 2019 10:02pm
What you can do is use the ebrake out voltage as a way to make the controller actually shut off when you are stopped etc, and then otherwise without the ebrake line active then there is always a min throttle out signal commanding just a small amount of torque from the hub.
That was my first idea to do it, but unfortunately the Lebowksi's safety feature won't make it finish boot if the throttle in signal is higher than idle throttle. So let's say you calibrated your throttle to 1.5-3.5V and it sees a throttle voltage of 1.6V during boot it will wait until voltage is at 1.5V to activate itself. Clever feature to avoid WOT runaway with a broken/shorted throttle, but it inherits my goal.

izeman   10 GW

10 GW

Post by izeman » Jul 06 2019 11:01am

Hmm. What shall i say. Tried it again, raising the Vout a tiny bit (just 50mV). And it seems to work just fine.
If the wheel is at a stop, and you lift the bike, the wheel won't start to turn, but if you then add throttle it keeps spinning at a modest speed and consumes around 50-70W. Will need to test a bit more, but it seems this keeps the drive train loaded and avoids heavy momentary load under sudden acceleration.

justin_le   10 MW

10 MW

Post by justin_le » Jul 06 2019 11:45pm

izeman wrote:
Jul 06 2019 6:33am
That was my first idea to do it, but unfortunately the Lebowksi's safety feature won't make it finish boot if the throttle in signal is higher than idle throttle. So let's say you calibrated your throttle to 1.5-3.5V and it sees a throttle voltage of 1.6V during boot it will wait until voltage is at 1.5V to activate itself.
That's why I was saying to also add the ebrake switch to your system and then set the Brake Out voltage to be at a normal throttle off (<1.5V in your case). Then all you would do is tap the ebrake after you've turned on the bike and that would momentarily bring the CA3's throttle output down below the threshold so that the controller will activate.

However, it looks now like this wasn't even necessary and that you've got it up work working. Do let us know if this all works out to resolve the drive train loading problems.

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Jul 18 2019 3:30pm

Found a bug with the High Range shunt mode, still a problem in 3.14 release firmware (first one I know for sure it's in is 3.13 b2, havent' tested anything earlier):

If in high range mode, throttle ramp times are either ignored or scaled by some large factor.

For example, if you set throttle ramp times for 99.00v/second (doesn't allow for 99.99?) then it takes around 8 seconds to ramp up to full throttle (assuming a throttle output range of a typical hall throttle; haven't tested for the full 0-5v range).

I can't find any other setting that affects this, only whether you're in High Range mode or not.

Since I am using two 1.000mohm Grin shunts in parallel for my SB Cruiser trike , for 0.500mohm, I have to use the High range mode to get accurate readings.

(since each shunt is only rated 45A, and I may have 100-200A for a few seconds at a time every startup for the dozen(s) of startups I may have on any particular ride, before dropping down to 15-20A typical cruising current, I'm using them in parallel to prevent damage to the shunt and to reduce the voltage drop across the shunt and it's built-in wires)
Attachments
SB Cruiser 071519 CA3-14 redo from scratch 000002.zip
high range mode, ultra slow ramping
(652 Bytes) Downloaded 3 times
SB Cruiser 071519 CA3-14 redo from scratch use low range wrong shunt value 000003.zip
low range mode, normal ramping
(715 Bytes) Downloaded 3 times
Last edited by amberwolf on Jul 18 2019 3:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Jul 18 2019 3:36pm

A separate issue is that if you set the shunt value to 50mohm in the latest version of the Windows version of the CA setup program, it changes it to 50.036mohm.

I was just experimenting with different values to see what worked best to let me read values at a glance with the shunt set "wrong" by a factor of 10, since I need the throttle ramping to work correctly more than I need to see the right values of current (and thus power).