Still waiting for more Puma reviews

maytag

100 W
I'm kinda in limbo deciding on a Puma or X5 rear hub, pretty much set on the Puma but wish there were more reviews from actual users. Besides Knoxie's 37v,72v and KMX reviews with the Puma, I cant believe there's not more ebikers giving these a go. Does anyone on the boards know if the Puma motors sold at EVTech (texaselectricbikes) are the same being sold from Team Hybrid, I read on the old VisforVoltage forum that Team Hybrid modified their Puma motors to handle higher voltages and may have also done something to run more quieter. I'm planning just a basic 26" mtnbike rig, no smaller wheels for me. I'll be teaming it up with a XLyte 36-72v controller and possibly emolis for batteries. I'd just like to hear from others and which motor would they choose.

Hi maytag,

I have bought my first system and i opted for the puma over the X5.
I believe the puma's from teamhybrid (where i bought mine) are the same evtech ones - i think that doug from evtech shipped the pumas to mark at team hybrid.
the mod is simply a change of motor wires to handle more current as far as im aware, knoxie is the man to ask here.
As far as noise goes i have a second generation puma, the one knoxie had on the bmx was first generation - knoxie tells me that the newer ones are a lot quieter :) also the 2nd gen ones have the cables coming out from the sprocket side.
my bike is at the lbs but i will be getting it back this saturday - it will be another couple of weeks before i test it but i will be running at 72v 35a and believe me when i tell you i intend to give it a good thrashing so you will have another review to compare.
I have 36v x 2 lipo's 15ah also from team hybrid and a fs mtb but i have dropped mine to 20" wheels for more torque - i think the puma and x5 have simalair top ends but the puma has slightly better acceleration (dont want to get into a pissing contest with x5 owners here so lets just say it's pretty close!!!). if they are similar then 8lb puma vs 25lb x5 is a no brainer in my opinion.
i'll post up soon as i'm testing the puma but as this is my first ebike and i dont know shit about electrics generally i wont be able to give you the kinda statistics that the clever guys here discuss ( maybe they will help me get data for everyone) however i will be able to tell you whether or not i'm grinning ear to ear whilst riding it!!!! :)
there are some pics of my bike in the photo section if you want to look and i will hopefully get some more of the build done this weekend.
I would say just wait a little longer mate and then you can make a more informed choice.

Cheers

D

The X5 is definitely one heavy motor. If I could get the same power, better low end torque, in an 8lb package, well that's an easy choice.

deecanio said:
I believe the puma's from teamhybrid (where i bought mine) are the same evtech ones - i think that doug from evtech shipped the pumas to mark at team hybrid.
the mod is simply a change of motor wires to handle more current as far as im aware, knoxie is the man to ask here.
As far as noise goes i have a second generation puma, the one knoxie had on the bmx was first generation - knoxie tells me that the newer ones are a lot quieter :) also the 2nd gen ones have the cables coming out from the sprocket side.
D

D,
thanks for all the helpful info. Before pulling the trigger on the Puma I'll ask EVTech to confirm that they are selling the 2nd generation models with the cables coming from the sprocket side. Dont know if I can hold out much longer, just itching to get started on my new ride. The 8lbs vs 24lbs spec might very well be the clincher since I normally hang up my GT above the wife's car when not in use.

Attachments

• GTsml.jpg
    GTsml.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 2,969
Hey bro you forgot to mention your wifes car is a newer 5series Bmer and she'd beat the crap out of you if your bike fell on her car. Can't wait for you to pick up the Puma then we can compare the Phoenix and the Puma side by side.

Ric

lol,
maytag i forgot, when i got mine, Mark at team hybrid had already modded it for me (and the xlyte 36-72v controller he supplied too, top man!), it's heavier duty wires and something else internally for the motor, i don't know what but know its not difficult to do - maybe you could ask doug to do the same for you?
Also the 2nd gen motors are cabled differently on the phase - you need to be aware of that as you need to amend your controller accordingly.
Again knoxie is the man to ask, he can tell you more specifically whats what.
the bike looks good :) i'll be keeping an eye on your build with interest!!
maybe whilst your waiting for the last bits of info you should sure up your hanging setup ;)

Was thinking of a DAHON folding bike. What kind of speeds will the PUMA get in a 20 inch wheel with 36 volts ?? How about at 48 volts ?? Thanks for any info. God Bless :)

JDELUNA said:
Was thinking of a DAHON folding bike. What kind of speeds will the PUMA get in a 20 inch wheel with 36 volts ?? How about at 48 volts ?? Thanks for any info. God Bless :)

in a 20" wheel @36v I'd estimate 17-18mph max and about 23mph at 48v.

You know, I was thinking that the Dahon would be a good candidate for a Cyclone. There's tons of room by the bottom bracket... after you remove the rear fender that is. I'm thinking that you'll probably get around 22 mph depending on how it's geared, how much it weighs and how efficient it is. Also just about any 20" wheel bike is a resonable candidate for a 406 crystalyte hub motor.

Back