Luna Cycles Fat Bike

Acoustic:

8729753882_fcb9484925_z.jpg

= 1000 words 8)

I cannot find any mention of this bike anywhere else..

Anyways, it would be excellent for mounting a chain drive system + batteries, or just a lotta batteries. The wheelbase is super long too. This is really an ideal ebike frame, i'd run regular tires on it of course, prolly 29ers..

neptronix said:
..it would be excellent for mounting a chain drive system + batteries, or just a lotta batteries. The wheelbase is super long too. This is really an ideal ebike frame, i'd run regular tires on it of course, prolly 29ers..

Yep, the Luna Cycle chassis was designed (not by me) to be a versatile platform for electrification. I have only ridden a few fat bikes, and I wanted to spend some time riding this one around as a pure, single-speed pedal bike before adding electric bits. I performed a few upgrades to the stock component spec by adding 223mm front and 160mm rear Gatorbrake rotors gripped by cable-actuated Hayes MX-1 calipers, and a Thudbuster seatpost. All up, it weighs in @ ~45 pounds.

Some spec's:

-The truss fork is constructed of chromoly. 135mm (standard bikey rear hub) spacing

8728638367_91acb8ea66_z.jpg

-Unitized stem/handlebar is constructed of chromoly. 750mm - 29 1/2" wide, with a few degrees of rise or drop depending on how it is mounted

8729758696_da877b24b6_z.jpg

-The frame is constructed of 7000 series heat-treated aluminum alloy
-Head angle is 70.5°
-Horizontal dropouts are 8mm - 1/4" wide
-Dropout width is ~135-150mm (the chain stays are loong and kinda' springy)

8729756936_2232a50e61_z.jpg

Space for batt's or :idea: 170mm - 6 3/4" x 363mm - 14 1/4" x 135mm - 5 1/4"

With a wheelbase of 128cm - 50 3/8", this bike is solidly in 'MidTail' territory. The inflated height of the wheels is 72cm - 28 3/8", 105mm 4 1/8" wide.

1st riding impression:

10 PSI in these tires feel like ~25 PSI on a 'regular' bike ..but I got ~2" of inexpensive, light, dual suspension..

..fun!

My legs felt like putty the next day :lol:

Here is picture of one electrified with non fat wheels and front suspension and mac mid drive running through nuvinci IGH N360.

DSC04096.jpg

Different bike without the suspension and fat tires :) It actually climbed to the top of that hill....5 times.

astro4.jpg

Here is one with a large diameter 9c hub motor:

DSC00178.jpg

Oh and here is one with an air cooled Astro 3210 running through a Rohloff 14 speed...47mph top speed.

Attachments

• DSC03561.jpg
    DSC03561.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 8,176
  • astrobike3.jpg
    astrobike3.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 8,172
neptronix said:
I cannot find any mention of this bike anywhere else..

Anyways, it would be excellent for mounting a chain drive system + batteries, or just a lotta batteries. The wheelbase is super long too. This is really an ideal ebike frame, i'd run regular tires on it of course, prolly 29ers..

Yea and that sucks,the fact that its not mentioned anywhere.
I could have gotten the ultimate bike instead of the compromise I am building now on a paratropper frame.
:twisted:

Longer than normal for bikes wheelbase always a plus in my opinion. Definitely looks sturdy, not a bike designed to make you do a tank slapper.

Stevil_Knevil said:
Acoustic:

I just have to chime in and hand it to you for that analogy. Acoustic. Brilliant way to describe a non-electric bike... because I like guitars. I will honor you by accepting this as my new word, instead of "regular" (bikes) :bigthumb:

And that frame... gorgeous. Especially with the exo-skeletal racks. It's a fine line to design something to bridge that gap between looking like a bicycle and looking like a motorcycle. It's difficult to make it have moto-elements, while still looking like a bicycle. I say this, because its look, is important for evading the law... and not drawing negative attention from the pedestrians and equestrians on the multi-use paths (for me anyway). If it looks like a motorcycle (with pedals), it risks being stopped for inspection, or just upturned nostrils from passersby. This is a great example of perfectly balancing on the bicycle side of things.

I wanted one, but have too many frames to build up as it is already. I might be in for revision 2 though.

Back