Hill Cimbing Ebikes Averaging 20 MPH Trips for 45 minutes.

Get real world experience and user feedback on the electric bicycle products.
Post Reply
User avatar
EbikeMaui   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 447
Joined: Mar 10 2007 8:57pm

Hill Cimbing Ebikes Averaging 20 MPH Trips for 45 minutes.

Post by EbikeMaui » Mar 24 2007 3:56pm

Using any batteries or motor system Is there anyone that can match this video on a 14 mile round trip? Pedal as hard as you like!
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=796906
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... ecyclemaui
Efficiency and longevity Rules!
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=ecyclemaui

User avatar
knoxie   10 MW

10 MW
Posts: 2430
Joined: Jan 03 2007 5:54pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Post by knoxie » Mar 26 2007 9:12am

no problem at all i can easily do 25 miles using only 6ah of batteries at an average of 22mph, its even better if i switch to my lipo packs, check out knightmb video on here his video run is a good match.

Truth is Randy there are a lot of off the shelf kits that people can go get now that will do this? I dont know why you feel the need to continually push your bike at people when its nothing special? there are far more powerful systems and ones that are equally as efficient.

We had all this over on PA lets not start this over here, when you have got something new to say then we will gladly all listen, this kind of bragging does nothing and your bike concept is now old news Randy.

knoxie

User avatar
EbikeMaui   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 447
Joined: Mar 10 2007 8:57pm

Post by EbikeMaui » Mar 26 2007 4:11pm

Until you or anyone else proves they can ride on hills in a video that is non stop and unedited on a 14 mile or more round trip with elevation changes such as in this video you are just talk.
This ebike system goes up 30% grades at 14 mph and does 45 mph on the flats at a good efficiency averaging a 20 MPH round trip ANYWHERE! Pedaling or not.Where can you get one off the shelf that does this that lasts more than a few months or trips? Note the elevation changes on the map.
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=796906
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... ecyclemaui
Last edited by EbikeMaui on Mar 26 2007 4:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
Efficiency and longevity Rules!
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=ecyclemaui

Lowell   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1671
Joined: Jan 12 2007 4:33pm
Location: Vancouver

Post by Lowell » Mar 26 2007 4:17pm

Never tried a 30% grade as we don't have hills like that here, but all my parts were off the shelf from Ebikes.ca, and the only real DIY mod was the higher current MOSFETs I added to the controller. 48mph on the flats, 37mph+ on the hills I have to go up.

User avatar
EbikeMaui   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 447
Joined: Mar 10 2007 8:57pm

Post by EbikeMaui » Mar 26 2007 4:26pm

Lowell wrote:Never tried a 30% grade as we don't have hills like that here, but all my parts were off the shelf from Ebikes.ca, and the only real DIY mod was the higher current MOSFETs I added to the controller. 48mph on the flats, 37mph+ on the hills I have to go up.
Get the cam out and lets see some fast mileage.
Efficiency and longevity Rules!
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=ecyclemaui

Lowell   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1671
Joined: Jan 12 2007 4:33pm
Location: Vancouver

Post by Lowell » Mar 26 2007 5:53pm

EbikeMaui wrote:
Lowell wrote:Never tried a 30% grade as we don't have hills like that here, but all my parts were off the shelf from Ebikes.ca, and the only real DIY mod was the higher current MOSFETs I added to the controller. 48mph on the flats, 37mph+ on the hills I have to go up.
Get the cam out and lets see some fast mileage.
An on board video is on my list of things I'd like to do. The X5 hub is a proven performer, and I believe there are a few videos floating around the net you can check out.

knightmb   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1070
Joined: May 08 2006 12:32am
Location: Franklin, TN

Post by knightmb » Mar 26 2007 6:43pm

Here in TN, we do have hills that meet 30% grade and more (I know a park that contains 35% and 40% grade, Percy Warner Park to be exact) I know that when I hit those 40% grade hills the motor is lucky to take me 10MPH up the hill. If I pedal, I can without much effort keep it at 20 MPH but it's very curvy when you get that high up so I haven't tried to go faster than that.

Perhaps my next video, I'll put both a speed-o-meter and a level gauge to show how steep the bike is climbing and film that. Would make for an interesting movie. The park is too curvy/steep to go really fast, but it is to travel at high speed through the forest. Everything being so close makes everything look faster :wink:

And not to bang other people and their videos, but we only have each other's word to take for our speed. I used a speed-o-meter so I wouldn't have to call out the speed every few seconds so it helps to show how fast one is really going. Plus, my last video with a lot of car traffic helps to show how fast I'm really traveling compared to your normal gas powered vehicles.

knightmb   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1070
Joined: May 08 2006 12:32am
Location: Franklin, TN

Post by knightmb » Mar 26 2007 6:45pm

knoxie wrote:no problem at all i can easily do 25 miles using only 6ah of batteries at an average of 22mph, its even better if i switch to my lipo packs, check out knightmb video on here his video run is a good match.
Just wait until you see my 72 volt video :wink:
Waiting for the weather to improve before I do this. :cry:

Matt Gruber   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1472
Joined: Feb 08 2007 11:02am
Location: New Smyrna Beach FL

Post by Matt Gruber » Mar 27 2007 6:46am

i'd like to see u guys pick up a few things at the grocery store, riding your ebike inside the store, like i do.

last time in publix, a kid in the cookies isle, ~7, turns and says,
THATS A DIRT BIKE!
can't fool him LOL

yesterday i got a toaster oven at walgreens, kind of a big box, but it fit on the R footrest, barely. only went 19 mph with it tho.
ASE CERTIFIED IN ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS 1984- retired
Converted window AC's to central system.
Testing various foods.
Finished testing JB Weld cell fuses. No more soldering to a bare cell for a repair.
Why build a pack from scratch? I buy tool packs instead.

User avatar
knoxie   10 MW

10 MW
Posts: 2430
Joined: Jan 03 2007 5:54pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Post by knoxie » Mar 27 2007 8:06am

EbikeMaui wrote:Until you or anyone else proves they can ride on hills in a video that is non stop and unedited on a 14 mile or more round trip with elevation changes such as in this video you are just talk.
This ebike system goes up 30% grades at 14 mph and does 45 mph on the flats at a good efficiency averaging a 20 MPH round trip ANYWHERE! Pedaling or not.Where can you get one off the shelf that does this that lasts more than a few months or trips? Note the elevation changes on the map.
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=796906
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... ecyclemaui
Hey Randy you asked the question! and i told you, the fact is the BMC or the Currie and the cyclone and xlytes, equipped with suitable batteries and controllers can do this? WHAT YOU HAVE IS NOTHING SPECIAL its no more efficient than anything else and your tall riser bars and bobbing cheap rear suspension make it even more inefficient like a brick on wheels.

You kept harping on like this on other forums and got yourself moderated, will you ever learn? I can do a super dull 40 or 50 min video if you like? I dont see what it proves? esp your video, whats the point in showing off in this way if nobody can buy a kit like yours?

If your idea was so great it would have been picked up by someone by now as its been around for ages? the reason it hasnt is because there are kits around already that can already do it.

Your machine is such old news its not even worth any more discussion, over and out!

This video is far more impressive as were all of wcriders X5 videos, these kits are off the shelf, no need for expensive geared hubs and huge sprockets, oh i forgot with your kit when you peddle without the motor you are driving the motor around, how efficient is that? these are supposed to be power assist bikes after all.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=568

Its a shame wcriders vids are no longer available.


Knoxie

:twisted:

User avatar
TylerDurden   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 7177
Joined: Jan 04 2007 5:50pm
Location: Wear the fox hat.
Contact:

Post by TylerDurden » Mar 27 2007 9:23am

EbikeMaui wrote: This ebike system goes up 30% grades at 14 mph and does 45 mph on the flats at a good efficiency averaging a 20 MPH round trip ANYWHERE! Pedaling or not. Where can you get one off the shelf that does this that lasts more than a few months or trips?

Ah.... the super homebrew bike. Not coming soon to a WalMart near you.


BUT...

Proof is in the duplication. What motor and drivetrain specifications to make a bike like this? Perhaps a video with the details exists?

Are the nitty-gritty details top-secret? ie: Must these parts be collected through the shadowy back-channels of the Pacific-rim... Or, can the average shadetree ebiker follow a simple list of instructions (like "makezine").

I do not believe these are common parts available online. If they are, I would like to see where and for how much. I would build it, and see if it performs true to claims.
Have a Nice Day,

TD

Image
___________________________________________________________

FYI: Adding pictures?

Bored?... take a crack at the unanswered posts

Please post your Watts-at-speed in the survey.



Image

User avatar
EbikeMaui   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 447
Joined: Mar 10 2007 8:57pm

Post by EbikeMaui » Mar 27 2007 3:38pm

knightmb wrote:Here in TN, we do have hills that meet 30% grade and more (I know a park that contains 35% and 40% grade, Percy Warner Park to be exact) I know that when I hit those 40% grade hills the motor is lucky to take me 10MPH up the hill. If I pedal, I can without much effort keep it at 20 MPH but it's very curvy when you get that high up so I haven't tried to go faster than that.

Perhaps my next video, I'll put both a speed-o-meter and a level gauge to show how steep the bike is climbing and film that. Would make for an interesting movie. The park is too curvy/steep to go really fast, but it is to travel at high speed through the forest. Everything being so close makes everything look faster :wink:

And not to bang other people and their videos, but we only have each other's word to take for our speed. I used a speed-o-meter so I wouldn't have to call out the speed every few seconds so it helps to show how fast one is really going. Plus, my last video with a lot of car traffic helps to show how fast I'm really traveling compared to your normal gas powered vehicles.
Use this map to show elevation changes and route of your tripThe speed shows a lot in the videos.The size of battery pack shows your capacity if you state the type and brand of batteries.
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=796906
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... ecyclemaui
Efficiency and longevity Rules!
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=ecyclemaui

User avatar
EbikeMaui   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 447
Joined: Mar 10 2007 8:57pm

Post by EbikeMaui » Mar 27 2007 3:51pm

knoxie wrote:
EbikeMaui wrote:Until you or anyone else proves they can ride on hills in a video that is non stop and unedited on a 14 mile or more round trip with elevation changes such as in this video you are just talk.
This ebike system goes up 30% grades at 14 mph and does 45 mph on the flats at a good efficiency averaging a 20 MPH round trip ANYWHERE! Pedaling or not.Where can you get one off the shelf that does this that lasts more than a few months or trips? Note the elevation changes on the map.
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=796906
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... ecyclemaui
Hey Randy you asked the question! and i told you, the fact is the BMC or the Currie and the cyclone and xlytes, equipped with suitable batteries and controllers can do this? WHAT YOU HAVE IS NOTHING SPECIAL its no more efficient than anything else and your tall riser bars and bobbing cheap rear suspension make it even more inefficient like a brick on wheels.

You kept harping on like this on other forums and got yourself moderated, will you ever learn? I can do a super dull 40 or 50 min video if you like? I dont see what it proves? esp your video, whats the point in showing off in this way if nobody can buy a kit like yours?

If your idea was so great it would have been picked up by someone by now as its been around for ages? the reason it hasnt is because there are kits around already that can already do it.

Your machine is such old news its not even worth any more discussion, over and out!

This video is far more impressive as were all of wcriders X5 videos, these kits are off the shelf, no need for expensive geared hubs and huge sprockets, oh i forgot with your kit when you peddle without the motor you are driving the motor around, how efficient is that? these are supposed to be power assist bikes after all.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=568

Its a shame wcriders vids are no longer available.


Knoxie

:twisted:
Let's see your 40 minute unedited video of your ebike beating my brick on wheels.
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=796906
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... ecyclemaui
Efficiency and longevity Rules!
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=ecyclemaui

knightmb   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1070
Joined: May 08 2006 12:32am
Location: Franklin, TN

Post by knightmb » Mar 27 2007 4:46pm

EbikeMaui wrote: Use this map to show elevation changes and route of your tripThe speed shows a lot in the videos.The size of battery pack shows your capacity if you state the type and brand of batteries.
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=796906
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... ecyclemaui
I'll do this for the last ride video I did (I'm curious as well), the one for Percy Warner Park, no luck on google maps. It doesn't show any of the inroads, so I'm not sure how to plot it out. Here is a map from the website though that shows the internal paths in the park. The only reason I know some of these grades is because the bike club has measured them. It's often on some roads to find stalled cars around the top where it's really steep. That's why they sweep through to pick up the stalled vehicles from time to time.

Link to picture because it' so big:
http://www.nashville.gov/parks/images/p ... er_map.gif

User avatar
knoxie   10 MW

10 MW
Posts: 2430
Joined: Jan 03 2007 5:54pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Post by knoxie » Mar 27 2007 4:53pm

Randy

I have a motor and controller that can put put over 2kw of power, i also have a range of batteries from 37 to 120V of Lipo, people on here know this and people on here have already seen my videos, the fact is you dont need to do 40 miles to prove this point, i can do 5 miles over a gradient and you can do the sums.

If you could please explain why your motor and controller is anymore efficient than anything else? its certainly not as powerful as a lot of the xlyte kits and the BMC would toast it with proper freewheel no drag peddle only input.

This argument of yours is getting so old Randy, how many of us live on volcanic islands Randy?

Most people only need 10-15 miles with decent assist as they go, with your kit they need to get a geared hub (not cheap) somehow attach a sprocket to it. Make their own custom made motor (or claim to make their own motor) and then somehow mount this on the frame??

Then they need to find a suitable controller, etc etc. This is my point with you Randy you always go on and on about how great your system is and how shit everything else is, except these kits are available.

There are some brilliant kits available now that are fine for most people, maybe not those people that live on a volcanic island.

You never answer my questions either? you never address the short comings in your design? the idea of forums is the interchange of ideas not to brag and gloat about what your cheap homebrew ebike can do, all you do in doing this is to get people not to answer your posts which is what happened on PA.

When you have something new to say we will listen like the other poster said if you are so keen to push this kit why don't you spend your time on producing a how to build the best e-bike in the world dvd? telling everyone how to do it?

I dont have a volcano to test my bike with Randy, shame but i don't need one or need to make a bike to climb one.

Nuff said

Knoxie

knightmb   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1070
Joined: May 08 2006 12:32am
Location: Franklin, TN

Post by knightmb » Mar 27 2007 5:09pm

Here we go, latest pedal route for my last video. Was quite fun to make the map :D

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=808377

User avatar
knoxie   10 MW

10 MW
Posts: 2430
Joined: Jan 03 2007 5:54pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Post by knoxie » Mar 27 2007 6:12pm

very good match!! knight

love to see your next video!!! get that camera rolling!! your vids are an easy match for Mr Drapers all done on a motor that has been a available for a few years now and is still available, so people can look see and actually buy one!!

Knoxie

8)

User avatar
EbikeMaui   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 447
Joined: Mar 10 2007 8:57pm

Post by EbikeMaui » Mar 27 2007 8:02pm

It's too bad you don't have hills to test ebike climbing performance on.Short Commings? My motor and pedals both completly freewheel independently.When I pedal the power goes to the wheel only unless I take the freewheel off the large sprocket you reffer to and direct drive the freewheeling hub which the pedal freewheel is connected to.
What YOU do not understand about this system is from your lack of understanding the benifits. You seem to discredit something that no one else has reproduced yet! I'm just giving everyone a look at what a simple uncomplicated NEW system will be like when there is a market for something better than what exists.Prove me wrong using your videos and a map.It may be old news to YOU yet no one has surpassed my ebikes performance on a video yet.If they have one ? produce it.
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=ecyclemaui
Efficiency and longevity Rules!
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=ecyclemaui

User avatar
EbikeMaui   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 447
Joined: Mar 10 2007 8:57pm

Post by EbikeMaui » Mar 27 2007 8:14pm

knightmb wrote:Here we go, latest pedal route for my last video. Was quite fun to make the map :D

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=808377
Nice route! where is the matching video ?
Efficiency and longevity Rules!
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=ecyclemaui

Mathurin   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1166
Joined: May 24 2006 2:49pm
Location: Quebec
Contact:

Post by Mathurin » Mar 27 2007 8:41pm

I too thought that using the pedals on your bike spun the motor, hence allowing regen from pedalling?


I've considered setting up a MY1018 with a retro direct freewheel setup, so as to allow independent freewheeling of motor, pedals and wheel. The idea was to use say an 8 speed gearhub to have a reasonably wide gearing range, and a 3 speed freewheel w/derailleur on the crank chainline so as to change the motor:crank ratio depending if I'm cruising, hammering or hill climbing.


Looks kinda like this:

Image

Image


Only trouble is the interesting gear hubs I've seen use the 3 slots + circlip system to hold a cog, rather then a screw on freewheel adaptor. There's a few 3 speeds with screw-ons, but the gear range kinda sucks...
You have to know, not fear, that someday you are going to die. Until you know that and embrace that, you are useless. - Tyler Durden, Fight club. Ditch the fake identity you've created for yourself, walk your own way in a society of mindless drones to become real, you are not your social status.

knightmb   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1070
Joined: May 08 2006 12:32am
Location: Franklin, TN

Post by knightmb » Mar 27 2007 9:22pm

EbikeMaui wrote:
knightmb wrote:Here we go, latest pedal route for my last video. Was quite fun to make the map :D

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=808377
Nice route! where is the matching video ?
The last one I posted.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=568

User avatar
EbikeMaui   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 447
Joined: Mar 10 2007 8:57pm

Post by EbikeMaui » Mar 27 2007 9:52pm

knightmb wrote:
EbikeMaui wrote:
knightmb wrote:Here we go, latest pedal route for my last video. Was quite fun to make the map :D

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=808377
Nice route! where is the matching video ?
The last one I posted.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=568
Nice Job! You may hold the speed/distance ebike Video (with pedaling)record.I nominate you to the Ebike hall of Flame.
I imagine your low end speeds and efficiency to 20 mph up steeper hills without pedaling kinda suck?
Efficiency and longevity Rules!
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=ecyclemaui

User avatar
knoxie   10 MW

10 MW
Posts: 2430
Joined: Jan 03 2007 5:54pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Post by knoxie » Mar 28 2007 6:27am

Hello Randy

I did tell you to check this video at the start of thread? it is impressive.

I still dont understand how when peddling your bike it does not turn the main motor sprocket? can you please explain unless there is some sort of voodoo going on? your motor drive is just a sprocket? is there 2 freewheels? a diagram would be helpful.

cheers

knoxie

User avatar
EbikeMaui   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 447
Joined: Mar 10 2007 8:57pm

Post by EbikeMaui » Mar 28 2007 7:10pm

EbikeMaui wrote:
knightmb wrote:
EbikeMaui wrote:
knightmb wrote:Here we go, latest pedal route for my last video. Was quite fun to make the map :D

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=808377
Nice route! where is the matching video ?
The last one I posted.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=568
Nice Job! You may hold the speed/distance ebike Video (with pedaling)record.I nominate you to the Ebike hall of Flame.
I imagine your low end speeds and efficiency to 20 mph up steeper hills without pedaling kinda suck?
Easy! TWO side by side freewheels on a freewheeling freehub.The large sprocket has a sprocket adapter that clamps to the OD of a freewheel roller bearing that slides onto the freehub via a splined ID of the freewheel bearing.Both the Motor and OR Pedals Drives the 3 speed hub in common or independently via freewheels except while one or the other or both coast freely.It pedals like a bicycle with NO more drag pedaling or coasting than a regular coasting derailer other than a addition of 20 lbs for the 5 lb of motor , 14 lbs of batteries @72 volts 10ah, and a extra 8mm timing chain and composite sprocket for the motor drive.
Attachments
LithiumBike.jpg
LithiumBike.jpg (26.58 KiB) Viewed 2205 times
Efficiency and longevity Rules!
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=ecyclemaui

Post Reply