Bafang rear geared brushless test

docnjoj

1 GW
Finally got to ride about 9 miles including 3 on our high speed cemetary test track and have a number of observations. Test conditions were 91F with 90% humidity. 42 volt very over the hill NiMh pack. 300 lbs of trike and rider.

1. The motor has less starup torque than the MY1018z, but comes on strong about 5 mph up to top speed of about 17 mph.
2. U need to be in the right gear to start, or motor makes growling noises.
3. Much quieter than MY1018z but does make slight howl on startup, which goes away at about 3-5 mph and never returns at high speed.
4. Freewheel is excellent which allows superb coast compared to 16" 409CL brushed.
5. CL Brushed is quietest of three.
6. This motor cries out for more power, which will happen soon (48volt 16 AH Ping will be ordered next week)
7. Can determine efficiency by recharge with Wattmeter later today, but:
a. Controller was warm not hot
b. Motor was warm but could keep my hand on it for >5 sec.
c. 30 amp fuse was hot??????
d. Battery was slightly warm.
All this after final 1/2 mile 8% hillclimb at end of ride!
Conclusion: About equal or slightly better than my trusty old P2A brushed from Solarbbq, at less cost, with much higher top speed in 20" wheel.
(Bretts P2A no longer availible)
Should be killer with 48 volts!
otherDoc

Good report.

The fuse should not be getting hot or even warm. I'd suspect a poor connection somewhere or the fuse is running too close to it's rating. A larger amp rating may be needed.

Its been doing this for a while. Thanks! Will replace it tomorrow!
otherDoc

Part II
Bafang is quite light at 6.5 lbs without wheel and tire and spokes!
Bafang report or 12miles of bikeriding on 11miles of battery. Just returned from a carefree 12+ mile jaunt, except my battery failed at 11 miles. So 1/2 mile 8% grade was pedaled be ME power. 80 lbs of bike! Yuk! Anyhoo, I need new batts. Now back to the Bafang!
Characteristics:

1. it is geared higher than any geared motor I have used (this includes MY1018z, P2A, and Tongxin)! Also geared higher than 409 brushed in 16" wheel. This means it doesnt like to haul my 300 lbs of me and bike off the line. U gotta be ready to pedal

2. However, it has a sweet spot above 8-9 mph where it just blasts off! This in a 20" wheel. This motor is geared for high speed!

3. Volts may help, or at least a battery that doesnt bonk!
My wife had some trouble keeping up with me on our 5 mile hospital parking lot race course. This means she actually had to occasionally use her thumb throttle!!!!
4. The efficiency seems to be about the same as the brushed motors. I used 8 amp/hrs for about 8 miles yeasterday and today, well..............
Tomorrow I will borrow the Ping 36 volt batt from her and do some hill climbs to see how bad my battery really is!

5. Having a freewheel on a motor really helps coasting! Duh. The Clyte has definite drag!
More tales from the dark side after I can take off the oxygen mask!!!! :oops:

Nah! Just kidding
otherDoc

WOW! Excellent post!
And I will have plenty of extra gears too (Just in case) ...
btw I run it at 72V. FREAKING power tool from HELL at that voltage.
Keep an eye on motor temp and do not power break it.

Gears.jpg

I can't wait to get the "power tool from hell" in my greedy little mitts and pump mids 70's volts through it (counting sag). With my plan for intermittent use as a helper motor for hills and acceleration in a 2wd alignment, the freewheel will be a big plus and heat should be a non-issue. I should have something to report in a couple of weeks.

John

Hey Knuckles! Will more volts help the torque off the line? I'm gonna get 48 volts from Ping if that makes a difference! Didnt thinkI would ever need it, but I think it will do 25 mph, which I need for in town riding to replace my car.
otherDoc

docnjoj said:
Hey Knuckles! Will more volts help the torque off the line?

Yes, generally more volts will give you more torque off the line. The current limiter is looking at battery amps, so with a higher voltage, more power will be available.

Gotchya Master Obi-Fechter! I'm using 20 amp Crystalyte analog 36-72 volt, so the amps wont do much! I cant see using 72 volts on a regular bike with 26" wheel! You could prolly go 45-50 mph. Thats CRAZY!
otherDoc

Just checked Justins simulator using 72 volts and an EZee, which is probably geared lower than the Bafang, and it tailed offat 40mph, so maybe 45 for the Bafang with enuff amp/hr to drive it! No thanks!!!
otherDoc

Doc,

We just need a frame and brakes that are safe at those speeds. I'm running at 72v & 26" (33-35mph) and feel much safer than I did on my version 1.0 bike doing 20mph now that I'm matching traffic speed most of the time. Then add in bright brake lights and turn signals, and I may never feel the need for a helmet. :mrgreen: I know you rightfully disagree, but biking is quite different here.

With that low current limit, you'll definitely pick up more acceleration with higher voltage.

John

docnjoj said:
Gotchya Master Obi-Fechter! I'm using 20 amp Crystalyte analog 36-72 volt, so the amps wont do much! I cant see using 72 volts on a regular bike with 26" wheel! You could prolly go 45-50 mph. Thats CRAZY!
otherDoc

I think I was more like 30 mph at 72V and 30 amps. That is the max for this motor.

The true benefit is the light weight and small size and the torque at lower rpm.

For speed on the flat you can't beat a nice big DD motor IMO.

-K

Thanks John and Knuckles. I plan to stick with my trike and only need 25 mph in town. If i start to ride outside of town, I would choose a recumbent like Matts or just a regular suspension bike with a geared hub and mucho batts, but I cant see mixing it up with traffic here in Lower Alabama at higher speeds. We have old folks from the Stevie Wonder school of driving and rednecks in jacked up pickups, plus the worst of all, career women in huge SUVs on cell phones and doing their toenails while driving! No thanks!
otherDoc

I just checked and found that my fuse is only 25 amps!!! I cant believe I didnt blow it! Geared motors (and hubs in little 16" wheels) dont draw that many amps! And my batteries must really suck! Ill try the Ping tomorrow, when its not pouring frogs and toads like today! It does rain here a lot!
otherDoc

Okey dokey! I borrowed my wifes ping and it stopped raining just long enuf to do some tests. About 3 miles at 106 W/hs but half was up our delightful 8% 0.5 mile hill to our house! Temp 88F, humidity 95%. Yuk! Anyways, the Ping had just as much push as the 42 volt Nimh, but at that use rate, Im gonna need a 16 or 20 ah batt! The motor still makes howls on startoff and doesnt like starting but once it gets going it pulls well. So far, the best hill climb motor I have used is the brushed MY1018z in chain drive 3 speed rear hub. But, there is no free lunch! Darn! That motor has an unacceptable noise level and runs out of steam at about 15 mph. I think 48 volts would fry it, but it loved the Ping 36v. So, I believe whenall is said and done, the Bafang motor, on 36 (or48) volts :twisted:
at 16 or 20 AH is the final ticket! This will provide 20-25 mph top speed and give over 20 miles range, which suits my needs perfectly to eliminate one car eventually. Now the rain...........................?
otherDoc

It just dawned on me that when I tested my trike with the Ping battery it read around 700 watts on my Wattmeter going up my hill. No wonder when the NiMh pack bonked previously I had such a hard time pedaling the bike up it! :shock: My lowest gear was a 28 tooth!
otherDoc

Hi Doc,

Just found this thread, I sent you a PM about getting a pic of your spoke pattern and spoke length for the 20" rim as that is what I hope to use as well.

I was just wondering what your unloaded current draw is? Also do your hub motor wires get warm/hot? I just ran mine and the wires started to get warm almost immediately!! Is there a break in period needed to mesh the gearing? Will check my unloaded current draw in a minute I am running a 44.4v lipo pack.

Cheers
Derek

Heres the Bafang in a 20" wheel with 14 ga (2mm) spokes. Spokes in a 1x pattern. Sorry Something seems wrong with the photo upload portion of this website. It wont take compressed photos even at 200k????????? Hope someone can advise!
Well how about that ! It worked

otherDoc

There is a thread about unloaded draw and the Bafang. I get 12 amps at full 42 volts, but the experts say that cant be and something is wrong, possibly my controller! I truly believe this is normal unloaded draw, but my wires dont get hot at all! Will be looking forward to your test results, Mingonn What controller are U using???
otherDoc

Hi Doc,

Am using a 350w eCrazyman 36v controller, I didn't realise that the color coding on the controller didn't match the motor looms colors. I had to swap the blue and green around on both the power and sensor inputs, after that it ran like a dream. Didn't get chance to stick my meter in to check the no load current draw but will do that tonight.

Derek

I just noticed U have the direct drive motor! Mine is geared, so the resu;ts and the amps will definitely be different.
otherDoc

You must have found the picture of my current ride doc, its a DD hub motor. I haven't put a pic up of my bafang yet, it looks just like yours, sticker on mine says 20 inch rim, 36v.

docnjoj said:
Okey dokey! I borrowed my wifes ping and it stopped raining just long enuf to do some tests. About 3 miles at 106 W/hs but half was up our delightful 8% 0.5 mile hill to our house! Temp 88F, humidity 95%. Yuk! Anyways, the Ping had just as much push as the 42 volt Nimh, but at that use rate, Im gonna need a 16 or 20 ah batt! The motor still makes howls on startoff and doesnt like starting but once it gets going it pulls well. So far, the best hill climb motor I have used is the brushed MY1018z in chain drive 3 speed rear hub. But, there is no free lunch! Darn! That motor has an unacceptable noise level and runs out of steam at about 15 mph. I think 48 volts would fry it, but it loved the Ping 36v. So, I believe whenall is said and done, the Bafang motor, on 36 (or48) volts :twisted:
at 16 or 20 AH is the final ticket! This will provide 20-25 mph top speed and give over 20 miles range, which suits my needs perfectly to eliminate one car eventually. Now the rain...........................?
otherDoc

have you ever tried your my1018z with the wife's ping?
i run mine at 42v and it's a night and day difference
ya it's loud
15mph i get 45kmh on my schwinn izip

Oh yeah, Wasp!! MY1018 with 36 volt Ping is the best motor combo I have ever used!! Really powerful, but maybe time limited without drilling holes. I built the rear wheel with an old 3 speed hub which also worked well. Its the noise factor that caused me to stop using it! I still have the trailing arm ready if its the best I can do, but the Bafang looks promising and is much quieter. The MY1018 and 3 speed will go back on the CX24 450 from where it came and be a super Christmas present for the grandkids. If it were only quieter...........!
otherDoc

Back