Dillenger 250 watt

roundtoit

100 mW
Howdy all,
My Dillenger kit arrived on Wednesday, took 10 days to get to Perth so gatta be happy with that.
Arrived all neatly boxed, nothing broken or damaged so all good. Very 'plug and play' which is good for a noob like myself.
Started installing today, had to file front forks a bit but eventually got to fit.
I have not bothered installing PAS or brake lever cut out things as dont really see the point.
After getting it all sorted bike was going backwards DOH!!!
Fixed that minor problem.
Then when I tuned the wheel it was hitting the forks so needed to do a bit of filling.
Charged the battery during the week so thought I had better take for a ride..
Did about 16 km and really happy, makes hills flatten out and I was zipping along at about 27 - 30 kmh according to the speedo on the readout supplied with the kit, dont know how accurate that is but will check with a GPS whan I have one.
The hill up Hepburn ave from the marina (for all you Perthites) I usually pedal up there at about 12 kmh, today it was 24 kmh and much easier. Nice.
The quality of the kit seems good, no complaints at this stage.
I will keep you informed of my progress with the kit.
As this is my first ebike my grin is bigger than Daniel Riccardo's
Cheers

Mmmm, pictures, tried but not working, says too big a picture, tried downloading an image resizer thing but I think I have downloaded a load of crap as home page has changed etc, etc.
I dont like computers.
Took the bike for a ride, did 32km according to the speedo supplied with kit. Was running out of legs as I was finishing my ride, thought it would have gone further than that.
I was peddaling quite a lot and rolling down hills etc. although had it flat out on the flat sections, sees about 28 - 32km per hour
I am happy with the speed, could do with more distance me thinks.
Bike is a flat bar road bike but a bit old, tyres at about 70psi.
So far all good and happy with kit.
Cheers

Sounds sweet, can't wait to get my kit! Paint is good for resizing images, if you're running Windows .

You could try using book face as a Web host. upload images to Facebook, set privacy to 'only me' if you don't want to share them. Then right click, copy image url, paste the link here.

I would like to install this kit on my road bike but I don't think I will have enough room between the forks. Your bike must have quite wide forks?

you need 100mm between forks where bolt goes through, funnily enough, when I had my wheel in backwards there was enough room but when I turned it around the three bolts that seem to hold the motor together (oposite side to disk mounts) they were just touching the forks.
I sat and pondered what to do then I just filed down the tops of the bolts.
I didnt need to take much off so didnt think it would be a problem.
I think it is a good kit at this stage.
Will keep you posted.
Cheers

Took the bike to work today, dodged the showers perfectly and didn't get wet.
Bike goes really well and zips along nicely.
Must say I am impressed with the kit thus far.
Seems to do all that they say it will.
My commute is only 13/14 kms so no problem with distance. I recharge at work so fully charged for trip home.
I ride it flat out on the throttle only and pedal along as well.
Can't seem to get much more than 32 kmh. Pedaling like crazy does not seem to increase speed much.
Must give the bike and kit a once over and make sure all tight as covered about 70 km so far.
I would recommend this kit for a legal kit, seems to be good value.
Cheers

Hi Roundtoit,
That looks like a well-sorted rig. Love the champagne colour.
As for the 32kmh top end I found raising the tyre pressures
helped a bit. Mine hits the wall at 34.5kmh.

Is that a 38mm tyre on the front? My bike runs a 1.75 (45mm) and I'll likely try a 38
on the front for even lower rolling resistance.

I recommend installing the PAS, I found having to worry about the throttle on the bars
was a distraction and reduced my grip.

Looking forward to hearing what sort of max. range you get with this set-up.

Still happy with my kit, just clocked 200kms and still runs fine, will pump up tyres to about 80psi and see if I get a better top speed, although, I don't really want a harsher ride, guess you cant have both speed and comfort.
I haven't put on the PAS as it will need modification to fit the sensor so will wait till I purchase a new bike and install then.
I ride the bike pretty much flat out on the throttle all the time unless going down hill, once I am rolling faster than 30kmh I back off the throttle and roll.
It has been pretty cold in the mornings (3 degrees) so not riding as much as I would like.
What happens to these batteries when they get low, do they just get slower and slower or do they cut out?
Ebiking is so convenient, I love the ease of getting about and not worrying about the odd hill, sooooo cool.
Cheers:)

G'day, I also advise the PAS install and looking at your pics I reckon it'd be pretty easy too. I put a tiny dab of glue between mine and the pedal crank to help things remain together. The PAS gets me much more distance than the throttle alone. I much prefer going up the hills from balcatta to greenwood now with this kit - haven't tried Hepburn yet. Bike sits around the 32 kmh on the flat and takes a lot of effort to go quicker than that.

Clicked over 300kms. Bike still great, no problems.
I am however getting itchy for more speed, I guess this happens to everyone, More power, more speed, more expense :(
I will need to give the spokes a once over, I have bought a spoke tool, would I be able to give each spoke say an eighth or a quarter of a turn without untrueing(is that a word) the wheel?
The spokes have always felt a bit loose but they are quite thick and strong looking.
My thoughts of the Dillenger kit thus far are all positive, I went for a ride with a friend over the weekend and I am sure he has placed an order by now. He was very impressed by the setup.
Cheers

Yes you can tighten all the spokes evenly and not warp the wheel. Good to start at the valve and then you know when you are done.

Check YouTube for how to fix a buckle in a bike wheel. This will give you a good understanding of how the spoke tensions work so you can fix buckles in the future.

Pop up and say gday....
Karl at apolloenergy in Balcatta 2/32 Mumford place,
i run same battery look, but inside mine has 13S4P ICR-18650-29E cells from EM3EV.

I have the 350W Mac front motor in a fixie bike with a 2 speed sturmey archer rear hub.
Anyhow.....without running more than the stock 25A, mine runs out to 50+Km/hr and i regularly hit 65km/hr downhill with a solid burst of human power.
Have a mate down the road running an 8T MAC with 9 FET and it hits 60km/hr no problems and most trips the cyclecomputer
says max 75+....

Welcome to come take it for a ride.

Karl

Thanks for the kind offer Karl, that sounds like a sweet machine, I will call in over the next couple of weeks, can you give me a "ball park" figure as to the cost of parts you used. Also, what brand and model of bike do you use? I have though kits are the best bet as I am no techno expert.
Cheers

Clicked over the big? 500km mark today. Still the kit performs as expected. Really happy with it and it certainly makes commuting that much nicer.
Gave the spokes a tighten after about 400k's and some were a bit loose but generally ok.
Charger appears to be getting a bit hotter than when new but stills works good.
Seems to take about 3 hours to charge after my 14km commute, although I ride pretty much flat out on the throttle. Only time I back off is when I am rolling faster than 30kmh.
Overall impression of this kit is positive. I would (and have) recommend this as a well priced, reasonably stealthy, moderately powerful kit.
It has added much enjoyment to my commute and weekend rides.
I look forward to the next 500k's.
Cheers

Howdy peeps, the Dillenger kit was going strong till I had a minor disagreement with a motorcycle on the cycleway. Bent the front forks and bent my front wheel to resemble a banana. Luckily I was bruised but not broken so all good and as my old bike was getting really tired I looked for a replacement.
Emailed Dillenger and yes, they sell a new wheel assembly for only $180 and it arrived withing the week, they continue with their great service.
I bought a Malvernstar flat bar roadie for only $429 and combined the 2 to make my new commuter. After a couple of quick rides I am really happy with the combination, smooth, fast enough and I now realise how old and crappy my old bike was.
Cheers

Got one of these -> http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/talon.29er.1/12059/57367/

It's big and bouncy with the aerodynamics of a brick. But a great commuter as its really comfy. I have a topeak mtx rack and bag so can carry heaps of stuff if I need to as well. I'd like about 3-4 kmh more out of it ton the flat though to keep out of the way of some of the Lycra warriors. Some like to pass on the downhill or flat but then just get in the way on the uphill sections.

roundtoit said:
Howdy peeps, the Dillenger kit was going strong till I had a minor disagreement with a motorcycle on the cycleway. Bent the front forks and bent my front wheel to resemble a banana. Luckily I was bruised but not broken so all good and as my old bike was getting really tired I looked for a replacement.
Emailed Dillenger and yes, they sell a new wheel assembly for only $180 and it arrived withing the week, they continue with their great service.
I bought a Malvernstar flat bar roadie for only $429 and combined the 2 to make my new commuter. After a couple of quick rides I am really happy with the combination, smooth, fast enough and I now realise how old and crappy my old bike was.
Cheers

Hi Roundtoit! Glad to hear you're not too damaged. Luckily steel, aluminium and nylon are all replaceable! Thanks for keeping us updated, conversion looks great!

Happy riding

Sam

Any one in Perth WA know where you can get Lithium Ion Polymer batteries tested. I am thinking I have a Dead cell in my pack, is cutting out after about 13 - 16 km. It is a Dillenger 10ah, 36 volt kit.

Dillenger keep insisting it is the controller but when I use my friends battery (exactly the same as mine) it gets 40km and when I put my battery on his bike it only gets 13 - 16km.

Also, when charging the battery gets quite warm (hot) in one part of the battery.

I dont want to send the controller all the way to Queensland then have to send the battery, even though my kit is under warranty I am keen to solve this problem quickly as the bike is my main mode of transport.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Back