Buying 2nd hand Bionx

priusz

1 µW
Hi!

I'm planning to buy a 2nd hand bike with Bionx system. (This is a KTM E-Race from 2013, the ODO is around 270km) I've read many different reviews about Bionx. Is it worth to buy a bike like that? May doubts:

- I'd like to use my new bike for heavy montain biking, long cross country tours, very steep uphills, and downhills, around daily 60-80km. So maybe during very steep uphill (or donwhillwith regen breaking) controller would blow. After a slight fall will the system be usable? Do I have to be afraid of blowing the controller? And what's about custom controllers?

- Used system, used battery... Can I replace cells (18650 as I know)?

- I've seen many different reviews about using custom built batteries with Bionx system. Does it really works?

- Anyway Can I use Bionx for heavy mountain biking? And Can I ride around 60-80km (off-road) with a 418Wh battery?

Thanks for your answers,
Peter

And one more thing. Is it possible to install the whole kit to another bike?

Today I was on a test drive with Bionx and Bosch. Bosch is really good, but! And there is a very huge but, while I'm riding on a very steep uphill (around 5-6km/h) Bosch give much lower assistant (torque) compare to Bionx. This is because Bosch tuned in a different way, it increases the torque until you reach 8-9km/h. Bionx has the max torque from 0,5km/h (or 3km/h depends on the settings). So you feel the power from the first meter when you start pedaling from 0km/h, but Bosch is different on the first meters the torque is lower, an when you reach a limit, then you feel it start assist better and better.

Maybe Impulse 2 is better tuned, I don't know, or the new Shimano. I will buy a bike with a mid motor, but I need a bit more time to discover the market. So first I'd like to buy a cheaper bike, which will be perfect as a city bike after the new bike will be arrived. (My favorite is the Merida 29er, with Shimano system.)

Back