Ridgid tool Emoli packs: the good, the bad & the ugly

TylerDurden

100 GW
Hi All,

Tested the stock 24V packs in their original cases w/ BMS, using connectors purchased from Ridgid. The goal: to asses if the packs can be used without modification, so as to also use the packs on power tools, as emergency LED lighting power and retain the Lifetime Service Agreement offered on the packs. Only one test was run, on a familiar route to a local store: 3mi each way.

(Early Impressions, no metering other than start/finish...)

The Good:
Since my currie/moongoose is stock 24V, four packs in parallel can run the bike similar to the stock SLAs. Four 3.0Ah packs weigh 9.6 lbs in a padded case. They recharge on the Ridgid chargers in about 40 min. The connectors from Ridgid can be ordered online for about 4 bucks each.

The Bad:
Watts is watts: 12ah x 24V = 288Ah, regardless of chemistry. No miraculous extension of runtime or speed. The packs are a bit bulky. The bag dimensions are roughly 4 x 9 x 12 inches. The discharge curve seems to be fairly linear... running constant WOT does not exhibit the Peukert effect like SLAs, but the voltage does seem to drop constantly and slowly. Torque was poor to fair: without realtime metering it is hard to say if there was any current limiting by the BMS in the packs. (I gotta get a Drain-Brain.)

The Ugly
Ridgid Emolis are not cheap. A pack and charger can cost 200 bucks retail. Better values come with combo-tool kits, where they offer two packs with the tools.
The packs are 6s1p, with full-charge voltage of 24.9V... so, Currie's 24V (nominal) SLA having 27.5-28V on a full charge, means the LEDs on the throttle indicate less than full charge when using the 24V packs. Accordingly, the initial full-throttle speed is lower, and speed continues to degrade, but more slowly than with SLAs. Voltage at the end of the 6mi, no pedal test was 22.5V on all packs; built-in LEDs indicated 10%-25% remaining charge. Keeping the packs intact means living with the 24V BMS. Until we develop a way to protect the BMS and pack from voltages greater than 40V, using the packs in series is running a risk of damage.

Conclusions:
If you are satisfied with almost stock Currie speeds and durations (kinda boring), four stock Ridgid 24V packs are a close match and carry a lifetime service agreement. I was able to acquire 4 packs and two chargers for $400 with two nice hammer-drills. That's a lot more expensive than SLA, but half the weight, faster charge times and usefulness in addition to e-biking.
In fact, I'm running my pig of a laptop (19V 6A) on the packs as I compose this report, since I left my power-supply out-of-town yesterday (early onset of Alzheimer's :( ).

With the help of folks who excel in the field of electronics, it might be possible to run a DC-DC converter using stocks packs and generate output voltage to levels that are more fun for e-biking: 48V might run a 36V motor at reasonable speeds for commuting and joyriding.

More testing to follow (sometime)....

:)

Attachments

• IMG_2865sm.JPG
    IMG_2865sm.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 6,729
Thanks!
it would seem 1 sla 6v(maybe 12) 12ah in series would be hard to beat

Great review. Are you certain these are the same emoli cells as in the Milwaukee 7s1p packs? (Probably they are if they're 3ah...) Konion also makes 3ah packs for Makita power tools using 1.5ah 10C cells in a 5s2p config.

May I ask why, after describing 24V as "boring" (agree with you there :D ), you didn't go for the 28V Milwaukee V28s and tools instead?

xyster said:
Are you certain these are the same emoli cells as in the Milwaukee 7s1p packs?

May I ask why, after describing 24V as "boring" (agree with you there), you didn't go for the 28V Milwaukee V28s and tools instead?

They sure look the same as the MilW cells (I'll post a pic tonight). They are reputed to be of Canadian origin.

The Milwaukee packs are a better match for a 24V setup, but the Ridgid packs were on clearance:
2 packs, Charger & 1/2" Drill for $164, after current $35 coupon.
2 packs & Charger, 1/2" Drill, Recip-Saw, Circ-Saw and Flashlight for $362 after current $35 coupon.

(DeWalt is using A123s... great batteries, but no real warranty. I haven't checked the details of the MilW 5yr warr.)

I still have time to return the stuff to HD, if I really feel like backing-out. But if I can build a DC-DC voltage step-up converter, I get the best of all worlds: Cheap batteries, cheap tools and lifetime service on all. Although, I don't mind spending a lot of bucks, I want to get the most value out of the whole deal.

Matt: the booster-pack sounds damn good at this point!

8)

You know, I was thinking that your voltage may not be quite 24v. If you use 3.7v per cell instead of 4v per cell, times 6 cells, you actually get 22.2v per pack (milw 25.9 v for 7 cells). I think this is the main reason for the not-so-thrilling ride experience. You can't fault the batteries.

Seems like the tool companies are stretching the truth a little bit with their new voltage ratings on lithium packs. :roll:

The cheapest new generation lithium batteries might be the 10C konions in the 18V Makita LXT packs:
two 18V 3ah packs (5s2p) for $146 (around $50/per on ebay)
http://www.toolbarn.com/product/makita/194230-4/

There's a few favorable reviews of these over at rcgroups.com
The reviewers, as I recall, noted that they were good 8-10C cells, but not up to the power density of 15C emoli's or 30C a123's. But for our purposes, since we'd probably parallel packs as well as wire in series, they could suffice quite nicely.
Not sure, but I think I read somewhere these 1.5AH 4.2V konion cell's are lithium manganese or mixed lithium cobalt/manganese.

Any idea what the watt hours/lb work out to on those Makita batteries?
8-10c would be plenty of discharge rate for an ebike pack. If I build a lithium pack I'd want 90v and at least 40Ah so I don't have to lug chargers around and worry about topping batteries off all the time.

Here's some konion info:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=611991
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481411
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=463431

One poster says they're lithium manganese; another states that they charge properly to 4.2V on a regular lithium charger.
Sounds like the weight is about 50 grams, 1/2 of a 3ah emoli's weight, which would make sense since they're 1.5ah cells.
I know there's a good Makita pack take-apart thread somewhere there, but I couldn't find it.

I'd want 90v and at least 40Ah

That's more watt-hours than my pack! Lithium cobalt may be the only choice if you really want to carry that much energy. At 2.5 kw-hr, just the batteries in my pack weigh 30 lbs, not counting all the solder and box stuff. I wouldn't want to carry much more. I should note though that my 2.5kw-hr pack is lighter than when I rode with 4, 10ah SLAs stuffed into the boxes before the lithium went in.

Right now the NiMH packs weigh about 50lbs and total bike weight is around 103lbs give or take a fender and light here and there. I figure 3600Wh of lithium could be done in the same weight to give a maximum range clost to 100km.

Ridgid Emoli pack cells...

(BTW, Forgot to mention in the test I was still carrying the SLAs as 20lbs of cargo.)

:D

Attachments

• IMG_2875sm.JPG
    IMG_2875sm.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 6,008
Great TD! We have another verified source for lithium manganese. :D

img_2875sm_123.jpg

OMG not made in China!?

Hmmm........
That's interesting. That would explain why the end pieces look like they're made from recycled hockey pucks.

I do believe Moli Canada lays claim to being the world's first production rechargeable lithium on the market in 1983 in think it was.

Then came the cells catching fire :cry: & forced to sell out to the Asain E-One to cover its liability.

At least they kept the plant in BC.

From their fancy website:

http://www.molienergy.com/Press%20Releases/release040117.htm

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

January 17, 2005 -- E-One Moli Energy (Canada) Ltd. (Molicel®) announces the launch of the industry's highest power lithium-ion cell for high-rate applications. These cells are the energy source for the world's first complete line of lithium-ion cell powered, cordless professional power tools. These 28-volt tools were introduced by Milwaukee Electric Tool Corporation at the International Builder's Show, held January 13 - 16, 2005 in Orlando, Florida. Coming one year after introducing the world's first commercially available 2.4Ah ICR18650 cell, used in laptop computer applications, the IMR26700 3Ah high-rate cell gives Molicel® another key product to expand their market.

Molicel® has been a recognized industry leader in the research & development of manganese based lithium-ion cells for the past decade. Using lithium manganese oxide (LiMn2O4) in the positive electrode of the new IMR26700 cell allows for a Li-ion cell with higher discharge rates than ever before. The IMR26700 cell can deliver currents in excess of 100A.

By eliminating cobalt from the IMR26700 cell it is possible to produce a much larger cell, while providing exceptional safety characteristics. Further developments of the IMR26700 cell will provide fast charge capability, allowing cells to be fully charged in as little as 15 minutes.

The introduction of the IMR26700 will allow Molicel® to enter new markets previously only served by lead acid, nickel-cadmium or nickel-metal-hydride batteries, such as electric bicycles, power tools and potentially electric or hybrid-electric vehicles. Manganese oxide lithium-ion batteries are more environmentally friendly than those traditional battery systems.

To support the launch of the new IMR26700, Molicel® has implemented in a new high-speed production line capable of producing 1.5million cells per month. Molicel® began shipping the IMR26700 cells in 2004.

Specifications of the IMR26700 Cell
Cell Type: IMR26700 Manganese
Size: 26.4mm diameter; 70mm length
Weight: 100g
Capacity: 3Ah
Standard Operating Voltage: 4.2V - 2.5V
Energy Density: 285Wh/l
Power Density: 1500W/kg at 20 seconds

E-One Moli Energy (Canada) Ltd. is a subsidiary of E-One Moli Energy Corp. of Taiwan. The company maintains production facilities in Canada, Taiwan and mainland China. For more information about the IMR26700 cell or any of E-One Moli Energy's other products, contact Blair Tweten at blairt@molienergy.com or (604) 466-6654.

Back