sunthing28 ebay seller screwed me and wont answer my message

jatgm1

10 W
mahopac, new york, united states of america
sunthing 28 sold me a 48v 25ah battery pack and now it doesnt work. whoever this guy is, i have no idea how he got the reviews he did because hes a scum bag. i sent over 20 emails and he had over 2 weeks to respond. the charger stopped working, so i got a tenergy charger, and now theirs either a loose connection or a dead cell. im testing the cells and from what my voltmeter says one of the cells are dead but im bringing it to someone who knows more before i make the determination.

20 emails in 2 weeks without waiting for a response? There's your problem right there.

Ebayers get their good rating when people's goods arrive on time and working, not for post sales customer service.

Warranties are now the equivalent of the old tail light warranty - your warranty lasts until the seller can no longer see the car's tail light, or in the modern world, until the PayPal dispute period ends.

Even the best sellers that come highly recommended here, that provide support well past warranty dates, have been known to ignore customers who send 3 emails on a weekend, then start send more asking why there's been no response before coming onto a forum, claiming "I sent hundreds of emails, but never got a response!" As if the harassment on their part, means the seller should have been more diligent, instead of doing the human thing and putting an auto delete on that customer. I think you'll find that very few people are going to avoid an eBay store with a good reputation, based on a forum post such as this. In some cases in the past, the vendor posted their side of the story, and gained a lot more customers, so it's backfired on the OP.

I can walk into a hobby store and pay $300 for a 5ah battery. Or I could order it online and get a 16ah one delivered for roughly the same cost. With the store, I expect to be able to bring it back if it fails. On the internet, I expect it to have no warranty regardless of what the seller says, because the cost of shipping would be half the cost of the product anyway.

As the saying goes, "Buy Cheap, Buy Twice". Or sometimes three or more times.

All the best to you. Your best bet now is to ask for advice regarding how to fix it here, instead of slagging off a vendor.

there was another guy who posted up a trashing post against sun-thing guy the other day. he also never ever posted any questions or asked us for help to figure out how to determine what was wrong. then he also posted up how sun-thing guy was selling bad batteries.

but in neither case did we see the battery, or have any info about how it failed.

we help people with battery problems all the time so this guy could have asked us and we could have helped him make it work, just as we could have with the other guy.

i know there have been a lot of people who bot a battery from sun-thing guy and they worked fine and i expect this battery will work fine once we can figure out what is wrong with it. the other guy sent his back and paid $165 to get it on the plane. so he not only lost his battery but it cost him money to send it back. can only hope that sun-thing sends it back to him by surface freight.

both of these could have been made to work. now just trash.

Figures that all this would start now. I ordered my first battery from SunThing a few weeks ago. :? Still waiting for delivery, but still well within the time frame they said it would take to reach me. I'll be sure and post up my experience with it once it gets here. Long term test reports won't be possible as the battery is for someone else, but I'll let everyone know the good and/or bad when it gets here.

Hypothetical: He/She may have had a good supplier of cells, sorted them out, made reliable packs out of them, and sold them. Maybe, we're at the tail end of the run, leaving only the runts left?

I own a sun-thing28 pack for a year and a half now and the battery still works incredibly well. I'd say it still holds about 18ah (originally 48v 20ah)eventhough i havent tested it yet... And i'm usually pushing full throttle, i don't use to pedal. But well, shit happens. Even the most realiable suppliers sometimes supply crap. Indeed, he takes long time to answer, try to talk to him on skype: sun-thing

melodious said:
Hypothetical: He/She may have had a good supplier of cells, sorted them out, made reliable packs out of them, and sold them. Maybe, we're at the tail end of the run, leaving only the runts left?

we know absolutely nothing. you act as if the guy had actually tested the battery cells and found there was something defective. but there is absolutely no info or pictures or anything at all about either of these two batteries.

we know absolutely nothing except these statements.

Three threads about him in two days. That seems a little high.

mateusleo said:
I own a sun-thing28 pack for a year and a half now and the battery still works incredibly well. I'd say it still holds about 18ah (originally 48v 20ah)eventhough i havent tested it yet... And i'm usually pushing full throttle, i don't use to pedal. But well, shit happens. Even the most realiable suppliers sometimes supply crap. Indeed, he takes long time to answer, try to talk to him on skype: sun-thing

+1

I brought two (36v15ah and 48v15ah) and this working fine and ~1year.. around ~8000km on the 36v.

Jatgm1, I don't doubt that you have a bad problem with your battery. But you need to tell the entire story. when you got it delivered, what it's been through since you got it, etc.

Searching your past posts, it's clear that you are not a shill, but it also appears that you ordered the battery back in late June. If it took 60 days to ship, then you have had it two months now. Any reason you really expect any response from an ebay vendor after the pay pal dispute period is over? Does sunthing give a warranty on the battery at all, other than works on day one?

Sun thing is a good vendor in the subset of ebay vendors. This is not the same as a guy on a best vendors of all vendors list. He's still an ebay dude. It's known that the stock charger he sends is likely to fail soon.

If you want us to help you diagnose the problem, then we do need some clear pictures and explanation of what the problem is.

I always use Paypal. That way I have a good chance of getting my money back. It usually takes three to four weeks to get things shipped from China that means I have about a week to test them and do a Paypal dispute on faulty items. I have lost money on Craigslist several times but never on Fleabay funds were always returned. I wish you luck with your dispute.

The question remains, how long did it work, and what did he do?

Longer time to do a dispute +1.

However, it looks like the only warranty offered by sunthing is, 14 days from when you get it, you can send it back. After that, it's yours. I see no guarantee it will work past 14 days.

on tuesday (tomorrow) im bringing the battery to my boss, who knows what the hell he's doing. i work for him at a computer repair shop. my plan is to get his opinion and take some pictures and potentially videos then go from there. he has made multiple battery packs from old laptop batteries, so i have faith he can help me fix it, by the way sunthing has said they will send me a new cell, i believe and hope thats the problem... also where could i buy 25ah prismatic cells, in case this happens again. because i have 16 cells and its 48v 25 ah. thats 3. whatever volts and 25 amphours if im not mistaken. i have come to the conclusion that it is a better idea to fix this and then sell it on craigs list once its working well, then get headways, and a bms system, and a lot of wireing... and make a good working pack. i really dont trust this sunthing guy now that he does not answer in a timely manner. i used to do computer repair myself and after i got the money if they still had a problem, if it was something simple, i would help them fix it without a question and without charging them. i dont understand how this can be okay to people. i handled this pack like a god damn baby and it still stopped working. i had it in a foam case, inside a metal case, with a fan powered on a 9 volt battery attached to it to cool it off. apparently his quality control has gone down considerably... im going with these guys next time i decide to buy my own. most likely for the gem i plan on getting. www.lithiumion-batteries.com/
they may be more expensive but i have 5 worry free years and they have a plastic case around them.

hello, if anyone has ever used sunthing28 to buy batteries or equipment for any reason it would be greatly appreciated if you could post your thoughts on them and their products and also the date of which you purchased your product, and the date if arrived, (approximately). batteries are what im looking for reviews on however all other products purchased from them works as well. thank you for your help and input.

i repeat. we know absolutely nothing about your battery. you just posted up a trashing post with no information.

now you say your boss who works on computers is an expert on ebike batteries instead of those of us who do work on batteries and repair them all the time.

there is no evidence there is anything wrong with any of the cells in your battery.

there is no info, no pictures or even a request for advice on how to examine the battery and BMS.

Review user post history is all we need to know....

jatgm1 said:
sunthing 28 sold me a 48v 25ah battery pack and now it doesnt work. whoever this guy is, i have no idea how he got the reviews he did because hes a scum bag. i sent over 20 emails and he had over 2 weeks to respond. the charger stopped working, so i got a tenergy charger, and now theirs either a loose connection or a dead cell. im testing the cells and from what my voltmeter says one of the cells are dead but im bringing it to someone who knows more before i make the determination.
The way I see packs like sun-thing is that you got a pack as cheap as it gets and that if it fully arrived working well thats as good as it gets, I am pretty sure hes thinking its up to you to fix it if something goes wrong at that price.

I know a guy that sells industrial machinery and has competitors on ebay selling the same thing but can't offer warranty like he does. If the machine breaks within warranty he gives them a brand new one, the guys on ebay didnt make enough money to even dream of such a warranty and just hope you go away. You gotta choose what to you want, you bought a battery where your expected to fix it if it stops working after a very short period realistically, but I can't argue that it should work when you first get it though, battery packs are unfortunately a fickle entity.

This is maybe what you should of considered if your not happy with your sunthing28 warranty.
http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/ebike-parts/batteries/b4820lim-kit.html

With chargers my china charger is still going after many years. I am wondering if its because I followed a golden rule I was told in my electronics class from the 90s and that is if you connect a switch mode powersupply without a load expect it to instantly die, now I am sure they have protection circuits etc these days but they might not all work properly.

I always have my battery plugged into the powersupply before I switch on my power supply and unplug my battery pack only AFTER I have turned off my powersupply.

I have noticed an increasing amount of items I can only buy from aliexpress and not ebay anymore and I am thinking its got to do with what is expected for a certain price vs what you can realistically get.

you should power up the charger before connecting the battery. otherwise the charger connections get burned by the inrush current to the output caps on the charger.

i am not sure why someone told you the following but it is wrong:

"With chargers my china charger is still going after many years. I am wondering if its because I followed a golden rule I was told in my electronics class from the 90s and that is if you connect a switch mode powersupply without a load expect it to instantly die, now I am sure they have protection circuits etc these days but they might not all work properly.

I always have my battery plugged into the powersupply before I switch on my power supply and unplug my battery pack only AFTER I have turned off my powersupply."

Wow...! :shock:

Ya' know, when I was a boy and acted out in class in a way the teacher didn't like I could be walked up the the boy's vice principal's office and be made to hold the back of a chair while the VP got his 2 foot long wooden paddle and gave me a great big painful "SWAT" across the back of my legs..... :oops:

Nothing like getting a great big "SWAT" right jatgm1?..... :lol:

@ jatgm1....anyway sorry for laughing, but the posters around here can help if you give detailed info on exactly what happened. Lets get more constructive about this.

Got any pictures we can see?

(If you use the upload on the bottom of the page just make sure the .jpg file size is under 500kb so you can post it. Make sure the pictures are in focus and clear enough to see what is going on.)

Also, if you can post a description of what your pack was doing when it went bad, (how it went bad) that could be a start of a conversation that could lead to a fix for your battery pack. It is possible that you got a bad cell. It could be that your BMS went bad. Or perhaps your charging / discharging practices were not proper.

Start from the begging, you got your battery and then what happened.

:D

nobody has abused this guy. nobody made insulting or denigrating comments about him.

i observed that he posted up this trashing thread without ever asking for advice on how to deal with the battery and now he does post up a nasty thread to denigrate the seller because the seller did not respond to his emails as he demanded.

we know nothing about his battery. he is determined that we never do and these comments from onlookers about how chinese stuff is just trash have nothing to do with this.

that is just their own opinion and is not based in fact because all of us use equipment and batteries made in china. all of it.

dnmun said:
nobody has abused this guy. nobody made insulting or denigrating comments about him.

i observed that he posted up this trashing thread without ever asking for advice on how to deal with the battery and now he does post up a nasty thread to denigrate the seller because the seller did not respond to his emails as he demanded.

we know nothing about his battery. he is determined that we never do and these comments from onlookers about how chinese stuff is just trash have nothing to do with this.

that is just their own opinion and is not based in fact because all of us use equipment and batteries made in china. all of it.
You are right. Everybody uses and will keep using Chinese stuff. Want to get rid of everything that comes from China? Walk around naked, with no computers, cellphones, shoes or anything...

Back