Review: E-Twow S2 (fold-down li-ion motorised kick-scooter)

TL;DR

For those of you thinking about buying an E-Twow S2 who are here reading a review to make sure they're not totally sh*t, I'll cut to the chase: They're great. ...Yup; they do exactly what you would expect them to, and they're piles of fun. :)

Now, in case you are looking for a bit more detail and balance, I'll continue...

If you have no idea what this vehicle is, google for E-Twow and you'll see a few pictures. Also, I'll post a tech sheet at the end of this review.

Price

The E-Two S2 is sold at various prices. I paid 960 dollars US including shipping from the states to Poland. Depending on the degree of buyer protection you wish to have, and on the country in which you happen to live, you may pay more or less.

There was no communication as such. I simply paid, and a week later I'm an e-vehicle user. :D

The seller (sportsbysager) from whom I bought mine via ebay seven days ago has since increased his or her list price by 200 dollars, and so I suppose the last batch sold like hot cakes.

Unboxing

Being a true geek, I don't normally read the manual ...unless a really cool product has to be shipped over a period of days, in which case downloading and reading the manual is a nice way to kill some of the agonising wait. Thing is, it doesn't take all that long ...which is a good when you consider that this is because of the device's inherent simplicity.

The S2 arrived fully assembled. I opened the box, took it out, and was ready to use it in less than ten seconds. Really. Even the charger auto-selects between 110v or 220/240v. You just can't go wrong.

Oh, ok, I did have to find out where the handlebar release buttons were hidden by checking the manual once again, but then it was out on the street for some "look at the old guy* wobble about on the new technology" fun...

*I'm 39

Riding

Having grown up riding bikes, skateboards, and motorbikes, I wasn't too phased by the prospect of stepping on the S2. The experience is not so straightforward though as it turns out... On the one hand, it's easy: The e-brake works perfectly well for everything but an emergency stop. The friction brake lets you stop super-fast. The throttle and steering are pretty much as you'd expect.

On the other hand, when you get up to 30kph, you start actually feeling quite glad that the thing doesn't go any faster. :lol: Don't get me wrong; it's not scary as such. It's just that the little bit of flex in the steering stem reminds you that the thing on which you are hurtling down the road is designed to be picked up and carried (with one hand) onto public transport, and not to live on race tracks.

So, if you can be realistic about the performance limitations arising from a very light and simple frame, then you will be very happy with the behaviour of the S2 when it comes to turning, braking, and negotiating small bumps.

If, like me, you live somewhere which has a mixture of smooth cycle paths and old cobbled streets, you will basically see how the E-Twow S2 is like night and day on those respective surfaces. On the flat it's pure fun, quietly and comfortably gliding along like something from the future. On bumpy stuff though, all you are thinking about is looking for the next bit of smooth road.

With slightly larger wheels and greater travel on the suspension, this could be addressed, but then the portability and storability would be compromised. Frankly, if you live somewhere with terrible roads and no cycle paths, you are going to have a bad time. If however you can spend and least 80% of your time on something less punishing than cobblestones, you'll probably be pleased you bought an S2.

Everyone who tries it (that's six of my friends today) comes back with a silly grin and a stated intention to buy one. They really are that fun.

You get home, then realise that all you want to do is go out and ride again. :mrgreen: Outside on the street people give it a casual glance at first, then invariably do a double-take when they work out that you're moving without having to do anything. Little children's jaws drop. Couples start having arguments because one of them wasn't listening. Tired cyclists look envious. Old people look bewildered, as though they went to buy an outfit but all the clothes were silver.

Since the thing only arrived today, it's a bit early to give practical real-world range stats etc., but I will come back and add more info as I have it.

Thanks for reading.

TTFN

P.S. I may add some pictures and /or videos, but in the mean time you can find some pics of the suspension parts etc by googling and clicking images, or by searching the for sale section of this forum.

2yyyzjp.jpg

Edit: Took this today. :)

1zlx1lt.jpg

Excellent review Luther!

I've been riding my E-Twow Booster since April this year (around 250km/155mi in the city so far) and I'm so impressed with the range, build quality and the price. I bought it directly from their Romanian office and it arrived at my doorstep with DPD for EUR 52 (to Riga, Latvia). Their customer support (been emailing with Mona) has been extremely quick and supportive with all my questions and comments.

I have taken apart every part of the scooter and the quality is simple impressive. Everything from the motor to controller, the battery pack and the dashboard are custom designed and built for this scooter which is why it all fits together so nicely and is so light. I have seen many electric bikes and a few scooters and none of them come close to the quality of E-Twow.

The electric/regen break is excellent and I've almost never used the rear friction break. I've yet to attach the Speedict logger to check the power consumption and the overall impact of the regenerative breaking.

On the flat it's pure fun, quietly and comfortably gliding along like something from the future. On bumpy stuff though, all you are thinking about is looking for the next bit of smooth road.

Completely agree. I've now learned to estimate the max. speed at which any surface is pleasant to ride. At the same time I can't imagine using it mainly for off-road or non-paved streets.

On the other hand, when you get up to 30kph, you start actually feeling quite glad that the thing doesn't go any faster.

Agreed. Having that 30km/h option is why I'm considering buying and using a helmet.

Back