Schwalbe Big Apple and Bontrager H5 Hardcase Reviews

Get real world experience and user feedback on the electric bicycle products.
SloNEZ   100 mW

100 mW

Schwalbe Big Apple and Bontrager H5 Hardcase Reviews

Post by SloNEZ » Apr 24 2015 12:11pm

Put these on my ebike last spring and rode them for 2700 miles or so.
Both in size 26 X 2.0

The Big Apple performed very well on the front. It still had plenty of tread left, but it was "feathered" toward the back.
I'm not sure it shows, but the center tread blocks are worn more toward the rear of each block.
This did not seem to impact performance and I didn't get any flats.
I did use a tire liner, thick tube, and sealant. No sign of any sealed leaks in the tube.
Recommended. It appears only half-worn and still looks good enough to be used, but I up-sized to 26 X 2.35 for this season.
Donated it to the bike co-op.
Sorry that's sideways - danged if I can figure out how to fix it.

The H5 wore completely out on the rear powered rim.
All semblance of tread was gone by 1500 miles, and the center of the tire wore flat and thin by the end of the season.
Speaking of flat, I didn't get one. I did use tire liners and thick tubes, however.
A couple pieces of what I assume to be wire from car tires did poke through the H5 and the tire liner (!), but did not get through the thick tube.
I had sealant in there, and I didn't see any sign of a leak that had self-plugged at all.
I ride through an industrial area on my commute and hit a lot of debris that I can hear flying away from the tires at times. Rough duty.
You can call me totally impressed. So much so that I bought another for this season's riding.
I do plan on a mid-season replacement this time at about 1500-1700 miles. I think I pushed my luck last year.

I replaced the tubes for this season as Chalo has mentioned that he's seen tire liners wear on the tubes.
I didn't notice any wear, but better safe than sorry. I donated the tubes to the bike co-op.

-Slo
AKA Guano Loco AKA Styffe Hedwynde AKA Clutch
My Hog: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=61752

Nast   10 µW

10 µW

Re: Schwalbe Big Apple and Bontrager H5 Hardcase Reviews

Post by Nast » Apr 26 2015 11:48pm

Thanks for the review. A couple of pretty good tires it seems!

velias   100 W

100 W

Post by velias » May 03 2015 3:15pm

I have used Big Apples for years, but they don't have much tread depth so they dont last long. (although i have a front hub motor so it tends to spin out and wear more than if I had a rear one). The front usually goes bare after a year for me, riding 6 miles every workday.
I beleave the Schwalbe Big Ben's are exactly the same, yet have way more tread depth on them, Still on my first Big Ben after more than a year, and tread looking fine.

friendly1uk   10 MW

10 MW

Post by friendly1uk » May 03 2015 5:22pm

Apples here. over 2000 miles. No real signs of wear front or back. Except where I have skidded. Which seems to be on the same spot each time, so I rotated it a bit. Just the once.

Mileage threads show a huge difference beween the apples and anything else that comes into conversation. They are a soft compound though, not some plastic tyre that won't grip in the wet.

They are by nature a comfort tyre. Using soft walls and designed for low pressures. Balloon tyres to give them their proper designation.
bmsbattery sent me broken and incorrect stuff, and won't even talk to me about it.

docnjoj   100 GW

100 GW

Post by docnjoj » May 04 2015 9:37am

I do like Big Apples and used to use them on my trike. However, they wear out fast, probably since the wear pattern is not spread like on a bicycle that tilts when it corners. Even my suspended trike scrubs a bit on each turn or corner, and that wears the center tread quite rapidly. I have found Hookworms to wear much better and longer. I notice the wear at 500 miles, particularly on the front wheels as they are 16" (305 mm) and wear rapidly anyways.
otherDoc
E-bike stable at our house

Steintrike Mad Max full suspension trike rear Cute 100H going on: Whoops, Cute wheel broke but I fixed it.
Sun USX delta trike EbikeKit small geared front wheel sort of front suspension for wife

Agniusm/A123 AMP 20 36 volts on the Steini has been taken off.
2x16000 Multisport from HK now gone as they died after 2 years
New Luna 10S bottle battery 13.6AH now on mine
Relatively New 10S4Px2 for wife's bike giving 20ah @ 40 volts home made Panasonic from Tumich. BMS's rule.

cwah   10 GW

10 GW

Post by cwah » May 04 2015 10:01am

Hookworm last longer than big apple big ben? What about the marathon plus?
Help me find my stolen electric brompton: http://bit.ly/1a0vbBC and Bosch Sinus B3 http://bit.ly/1eV0WQz