Yesusa.com 48V1000W kit & Calibike 15 amp battery

A year ago (and most of last year) I was walking with a cane because my feet hurt so bad. After getting a new Doc and new custom insoles I can walk fine (no running) but am 100% better and I'm only 53. I'm happy I can ride my bike again and start getting some exercise with the help of my ebike.

With the help of this and other forums I ended up purchasing the 48V1000 watt motor and got it hooked up with the 15Amp Calibike battery. Yeah the batteries are not cheap for these bikes and I didn't want to shell out a ton if it wasn't going to work very well but I have put 600 miles on my bike riding to work and back (10 miles each way - 20 total) and a SUPER HAPPY. I do notice a bit of drag pedaling with no juice but with it I can easily cruise at 18-22 mph no problem almost all the way to work. Some hills I drop to 15 even with me pedaling hard with full throttle but this has been a great investment for me healthwise and for just getting some mental stress relieving from traffic. On slight downhills and flats I can hit 32 mph, it's just amazing!

One thing I have done since I got it is to check the voltage at work and when I get home from work to see how I'm doing battery wise. I charge when I get home and have 55.3V typically after a charge. When i get to work I have dropped down to around 48.5 - 50 (that's almost all uphill 90%). Thursday I got to work and had 49.6 volt 9.8 trip, 17.47 Avs, 33:42 time 30.2 Max. When I got home I had 49.0 V 9.78 Trp 16.3 avs, 36:03 time, 32.3 max. I've done this for almost the entire 600 miles (I'm an Industrial engineer and all I do is numbers so I'm a nerd). When I get home I'm down to 47-49. You can see I barely use any battery on the way home because of the downhill nature. I still have some umph left but I'm sure if I lived where it was fairly flat I could easily double my distance with my set up.

Just wanted to let folks know that I'm extremely happy with my purchases and set up. If anyone has questions/comments let me know and I'll be happy to help answer questions.

Hey BinE!

Glad you are happy with your setup. I have been running my Yescomusa front hub motor for several years now. Somewheres around 8000 miles at this point. I have a Headway 15ah pack which is now showing the age a bit. 17 miles instead of the original 20 miles on a charge. If you use your motor in normal use, I expect it to last a long time.

But, ....your voltages seem to be measured without load. If you want to get your most useful numbers on your trips to work and your ride home, you will need to stop your bike 100 feet or so before you park it and go wide-open-throttle and note the real voltage under load. Your pack at rest won't give you the most useful voltage readings in regards to useful capacity.

Or just get an RC watt meter and note what your actual watt-hours / amp-hours burn are. Also note, as you rack up the miles, your battery will deliver less miles per charge. That is normal. Check eBay for the inexpensive RC watt meters.

If you want to spend the money on a nice piece of equipment, get yourself a cycle analyst.
http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/ebike-parts/cycle-analysts.html

:D

E-beach,

Thanks for the info on the watt meter. Time to do some research and learn more about it. I'll have to make a new dashboard for all the stuff I've got on my bike (lights, bike computer, controller, watt meter) darn bike is looking like a high tech car. :lol:

Glad to hear the bike is going well at 8000 miles. That makes me feel really good about my commuter bike that it will last a long time.

Thanks again and happy riding! :D

I disagree. Resting voltage is the indicator of state of charge. But sag under full load is also good to know. Sag under full load gets important when you are down to the very end. To limp home on a nearly empty battery, ride slow so sag under load is minimal. this way the bms won't shut off early.

If you are really interested in how your battery is doing every minute of your ride, get a cycleanalyst soon. If only wanting to see the amount used at the end of the ride, then put a cheap watt meter in the battery box or bag.

Even the cheap meter can show you volts minimum, and other interesting things related to the sag under load.

Very nice to hear your kit was all good, and no problems with the battery. Most will have this experience, but a few will have kits with defect parts, and then it becomes an issue whether the company CS is any good.

Do keep an eye on the spokes of your wheel. They will need some tightening very soon, and then some checking every few hundred miles till they settle in. don't over tighten them though. Just find and tighten very loose ones.

Back