Motorino "lithium" 2012 XPH electric scooter review

The 2012 XPH model year has wider front tires, LED turn bulbs, and dual disk brakes.

Now with 1400 kms on the odometer.

Chose the XPH because it had a long deck and low center of gravity.

After purchase (new), immediately used contact cleaner on all the contacts, then sealed all connectors, screws, bolts, nuts, with hot melt glue. Also installed a plastic shield to prevent mud and water from spraying into the electronic boxes and wires. I also installed a wide-angle mirror insert, from Canadian Tire, because the rear-view mirrors do not cover the necessary field of vision.

Problems encountered: One cell on one of the LIFEP04 battery units (same size as sealed lead acid) failed, replaced under warranty. Needed a taxi ride to bring it to their shop. They also balanced the batteries. Apparently, the BMS on those batteries do not balance the cells.

OPTION PURCHASED: 4AMP battery charger. Must be plugged into scooter first, before AC. After charging, the scooter connection must be unplugged first, then the wall outlet. If not, the charger will be destroyed.

THIS OWNER'S EXPERIENCE: After lowering the rear tire pressure to 22PSI, the ride quality became much better. The real world range is approximately 60 kms with new batteries. Can still travel 50 kms, but that would bring the batteries' State of Charge to below what I consider good, for its long-term health. The motion alarm unit uses very, very little current, which is much better than the earlier Motorino scooters. In winter, it takes 3 months for the alarm to deplete the battery down to 30% State of Charge, from 75%, which is excellent. This scooter can climb any hill/mountain in West Vancouver. The hub motor does not get hot, and barely warm.

CAUTION: The battery charger cord can be easily mistaken for a direct wall-outlet-to-scooter connection which would cause overvoltage instantly, if the circuit breaker didn't trip fast enough. When this happened, the controller took 3 hours to reset. Nothing was destroyed, however, showing the good engineering behind this Motorino lithium scooter. My personal "low voltage" cutoff is 48V, when scooter is stopped; I always charge well above this 48V, resting voltage.

MAINTENANCE: I spray DeOxit contact cleaner on all contacts once a year. And drip a tiny amount of oil on the axle shaft, flowing downwards, as per Peter from Motorino service dept.

DRIVING TECHNIQUE: My XPH has 3 electronic gears, by switch. When climbing up a very steep hill (that would burn out a GIO scooter, in my experience), I watch the voltage display and keep the voltage at 47V or higher, using the gear switch.

My overall experience/review:

2012 Motorino XPH lithium scooter: Excellent. It has the necessary brushless motor, gear-less motor, tubeless tires, wide front tire to avoid wind deflection, smaller rear tire for efficiency. The dual disk brakes, hydraulic, are necessary for steep downhill streets, like West Vancouver.

Vancouver E-Ride service dept: Excellent

"Problems encountered: One cell on one of the LIFEP04 battery units (same size as sealed lead acid) failed, replaced under warranty. Needed a taxi ride to bring it to their shop. They also balanced the batteries. Apparently, the BMS on those batteries do not balance the cells."

can you prove any of this? how did you test the battery to determine that one cell was dead and the others were not in a brand new battery? what caused you to think that a BMS does not balance the battery? what do you think it is are there for?

Your questions and statements, imo, are designed to cause doubt.

I have no doubt that you are a Men In Black, one of the ones who may have been involved in destroying other online EV clubs.

UPDATE: Real world range, in very hilly, up-down runs at near max-power, is 25 kms., before the BMS LVC cuts out the power. When it the LVC is triggered, waiting a few minutes gives a few more seconds of running. It's likely that the cells are out of balance again, or one cell is weaker than the others. (16 cells in 4 hard cases that look exactly like 12V "1/2 Group U1" SLA lead acid batteries.)

Back