$50 Louis Garneau bike shorts vs comfort suspension upgrade

BACKGROUND: Ride comfort had been a major interest, for riding ebikes and escooters since 1998. Tried cheap vs expensive suspension seatposts, more than ten after-market saddles, including the "noseless", and adjustable-air (pump up/down) types. For the Ego Cycle 2 egovehicles.com electric scooter, the best solution, in 2003, was the Schwinn noseless saddle combined with the $175 Thudbuster. The Thudbuster, however, added 4 inches to the seat height, so made other ebikes too tall. All suspension seatposts do not have dampening, so there is a "bounce" side-effect. Lowering the tire pressure is the better solution, but bike tires will get more flats. Several flat tires with my electric 'cycles made me realize that the electric bike, or electric scooter, is not a viable form of transportation, unless it has tubeless tires. Had only one tire puncture with my tubeless tires, so far. Also, tubeless tire flat was repaired without taking the tire off.

WHY BIKE COMFORT - YOUR BRAIN: Bikes, with harsh rides, jar the brain, causing brain fog, temporary or permanent brain impairment, or even brain injury. The faster you go, the more jarring your brain gets.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=jarr...&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=YfefVfqfDYapgwS-lJGQCg

BICYCLE RIDING also causes sexual dysfunction, possibly causing expensive divorce:
https://www.google.ca/search?q=jarr...Cg#q=BICYCLE+SADDLES+cause+sexual+dysfunction

PADDED BIKE SHORTS made my rides more comfortable, but some of them make walking very uncomfortable, especially the cheap ones and even the "MEC" shorts. Surprisingly, only the super-thickly-padded Louie Garneau ("LG") bike shorts from 2005 provided enough comfort, for me, to make my electric scooter's suspension upgrade unnecessary. My LG bike shorts are the only ones I can walk comfortably with, and wear all day.

TODAY, Louie Garneau has many bike shorts, but I don't know the model name in their 2015 lineup:
http://www.louisgarneau.com/ca-en/products/827720?&n=0&va=t&o=rprice

COST-EFFECTIVENESS: A statistical survey of fully-contested BC divorce cases came up with an average of over $300,000 to the divorcing couple. And it took over 6 (probably) very miserable years, too. Then, there's huge bias against men in the court system, but that's another subject matter.
https://lawdiva.wordpress.com/2012/12/17/ill-just-leave-the-country-and-pay-nothing/#comment-14479

Or, get off bikes designed to hammer your ass.

Longtail for the win, with your ass now on the pivot point, instead of hopping up and down on the rear axle. Then properly adjust the seat.

But of course, if you already damaged your taint, I can see how noseless would be the way to go from then on.

For the long rides, I have pants and shorts, that I sewed the pad from lycra shorts into. Helps a lot with chafing issues on a 70 mile ride.

It all Depends. Go ahead, be adventurous https://www.depend.com/mens-solutions/products/19840/

That saves the hassle of stopping to pee too!

Seriously, for really long rides, you do need the pad in the pants. The seams in your regular pants will chafe the hell out of you. Buy some bike shorts at the thrift store for 5 bucks, and sew them into your favorite riding shorts.

Or, go pay $75 for the same thing at REI.

The problems he was talking about are why I built the first frankenbike. It's a longtail, and it has full suspension. Comfy to ride 30 mph down a washboard road, without baby shaking my brain. When you get old enough, your brain shrinks, and flops around in there. Can be very uncomfortable.

RE: BRAIN SHRINKS.

Thanks, good to know that.

Also, headaches come from brain shrinking from DEHYDRATION. Something just recently discovered. You didn't need those aspirin pills, after all.

Besides water, there must be other ways to make the brain grow back -- ginko biloba, for one, I know works.

Another one I have been trying, coconut oil. Supposedly it contains more of a vital nutrient for healing, brain or other.

Interesting about dehydration, I'm quite familiar with the dehydration headache, just didn't know the exact cause.

My brain shrank early, from solvents exposure in construction work. Then encephalitis shrank it more. I don't enjoy getting shook a lot any more.

4LivesPerGallon said:
BACKGROUND: Ride comfort had been a major interest, for riding ebikes and escooters since 1998. Tried cheap vs expensive suspension seatposts, more than ten after-market saddles, including the "noseless", and adjustable-air (pump up/down) types. For the Ego Cycle 2 egovehicles.com electric scooter, the best solution, in 2003, was the Schwinn noseless saddle combined with the $175 Thudbuster. The Thudbuster, however, added 4 inches to the seat height, so made other ebikes too tall. All suspension seatposts do not have dampening, so there is a "bounce" side-effect. Lowering the tire pressure is the better solution, but bike tires will get more flats. Several flat tires with my electric 'cycles made me realize that the electric bike, or electric scooter, is not a viable form of transportation, unless it has tubeless tires. Had only one tire puncture with my tubeless tires, so far. Also, tubeless tire flat was repaired without taking the tire off.
]

You have obviously spent a lot of time, money, and effort in the search for a comfort ride.
I'm a little surprised you haven't tried ( or mentioned ) a full suspension frame, ??
That , and the use of " fat". Tires is the accepted solution for a heavy Ebike( or any bike really).
Punctures ? Plenty of solutions to that if it really is an issue, without the complication of tubeless tires.

FWIW, that's one reason my first homemade longtail was full suspension. Decided to go simple hard longtail for the second one, which really rarely rides more than 40 miles, on somewhat better roads or paths inside city limits.

For 60-80 miles a day on nasty ripply chip seal county highways, the full suspension and longtail for the win. Definitely a comfortable bike for all day in the saddle. View attachment 1

Next franken bike though, I'm leaning hard in the direction of semi recumbent rear suspension longtail. Not too low, I want to see over car hoods at intersections. But a comfy chair like seat, 20" front and rear wheels, and very plush rear shocks.

This bike will be something like Amberwolfs st Bernard cruiser trike, but instead a bike, with rear shocks.Dog crate fits on it.jpg

The fingers said:
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=noseless+bike+seats&qpvt=noseless+bike+seats&FORM=IGRE :wink:
I like the Schwinn No Pressure myself for my cruiser. You might have to shop around to find the right one for you though. They can get pricy.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...qmt=p&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=t&ref=pd_sl_6qcp1v7g4q_p
The $20 Schwinn was the one for me. tried many others and none worked like the Schwinn. Getting the set seat forward or back and the right angle does take time. It only takes one notch on the seat angle to be miserable.

Dan

Back