Tektro HD-E710 - my review.

Hertzelz

1 W
Hey guys.

Well, As far as i know, Tektro is the only manufacturer that making hydraulic e-brakes, So I grabbed a pair of the E710's, The levers seem robust and so does the calipers (but for some reason, metal pistons doesn't seem like a smart choice because of the heat, Shimano and other manufacturers use some special ceramic compound).

I have a 2WD 20" folding bike based on 350w Bafang steel geared + Q85 front motor, With 52v18.2ah Samsung ICR 2600MAH 18650 cells.

The problems begin with the adaptors - Tektro created their own special size adaptors (DO4.0), So no other (Shimano/Avid/Magura etc) PM-IS adaptors will fit: they all are 1-1.5cm short in length from the Tektro's.
Why is that a problem? Because there is no front 160mm adaptor and my front fork (MRP Rustler) accepts 160mm only.

Also, The 710 use special D shaped pads, which available only for...... Tektro.

Then, When I finally received the adaptors (front 180mm)
I had to replace the rear hose because it was too short - 1500mm, and I needed at least 1900mm for the folding.

So I ordered a steel-braided 2000mm hose from eBay, and an EZ bleeding kit for Shimano-Magura-Tektro.

When I inserted the bleed valve into the caliper I noticed some metal chips coming out from the threading - which indicates- low quality material. I was very gentle and used the right valve from the kit - but still. (they are not similar so you can't go wrong anyway)

I assembled the hose connectors, and then started the bleeding process- oil leakage from the threadings.
Oh, and the warranty is void because I changed the hose (?!).

Just for the sport I tried to bleed the front set, Didn't spoke any leakage, but I did spotted some metal chips coming out as well. This is just G-grade material.

I was so pissed. 250$ brakes and such low quality material, Special adaptors, Special hose, Special pads and all for nothing.
All I wanted is a high quality brakes that have a sensors in the levers.

I had an idea, If Shimano also uses the same oil (At least that Tektro didn't changed :twisted: ) Maybe I just replace the calipers with some decent, 'normal' calipers- and maybe it will work and I will get to preserve the levers with the sensors (e-brake wires).

Luckily, It worked! :D I connected a Shimano SLX dual-piston caliper, with regular adaptors, Ice-tech pads and even rotors - Everything is working great so far and I even got the EBS working properly.

My advice- Avoid Tektro 710. Just get the levers if you're interested in e-brakes - The levers are robust and far better than the problematic 5xx series. I always wondered why no one uses Tektro's in my country, Now I know why.
I guess the 710 will work great if you don't have to change the hose, but what will happen when you want to bleed? I hope you received a higher quality piece.

p.s- Sorry for my English

Hope it will help to some of you guys who's thinking about those brakes.

Take care :)

Sorry to hear about your problems, Ive been running a set of those 710 for a year now and have put on 10,000km on mine with not a problem in the world from them at all. In the Ten thousand km's ive put on them ive had to change the rear pads 3 times already as i have not been hard on them but at 70km/h they stop me without a problem and i have never had any fade from them at all.
Maybe you got a bad batch and im not sure what $$$$ your $250 is but mine didnt even cost me $140 U.S so $250 seems really high too.
Have you spoken to the person you bought them off at all?

TotalConfusion said:
Sorry to hear about your problems, Ive been running a set of those 710 for a year now and have put on 10,000km on mine with not a problem in the world from them at all. In the Ten thousand km's ive put on them ive had to change the rear pads 3 times already as i have not been hard on them but at 70km/h they stop me without a problem and i have never had any fade from them at all.
Maybe you got a bad batch and im not sure what $$$$ your $250 is but mine didnt even cost me $140 U.S so $250 seems really high too.
Have you spoken to the person you bought them off at all?

There won't be any problems as long you don't need to bleed. I hope you won't need to bleed. If you do - Be very gentle.

I spoke with the store that I've bought the set from - They said that if I changed the hose the warranty is void.

Back