Luna Cycle front & rear lights

Ralith

100 mW
A few months ago I purchased a Luna Cycle Cyclops (with button, regular brightness) and rear light for use commuting in the dark of winter.

The bad:
  • Handlebar mount for the Cyclops is very wide-diameter even at its narrowest configuration. Be prepared to shim heavily.
  • The Cyclops is bulky not very stylish.
  • Rear light mounts parallel to the tube you zip tie it to. For most bikes, this means facing downwards, rather than straight out back.
  • Rear light LEDs have focusing lenses, directing most of the light directly away from it. Diffuse LEDs would have worked better here, though there's still enough leakage that you can clearly see light from the side in the dark.
  • The buttons on both stick out pretty far. If I ever need to replace these it'll probably be because something whacked them and snapped the button off.

The good:
  • Luna Cycle provides excellent customer service.
  • They look to be thoroughly potted and the buttons are enclosed in rubber boots. Water should be a total nonissue.
  • The rear light zipties securely onto the light mount of a Topeak Explorer bike rack, which even manages to aim it straight out backwards
  • The Cyclops is extremely bright. You can make out the reflected light even on an overcast day; at night it's great, and I'm not sure I'd actually want anything brighter.
  • They feel very sturdy.
  • The Cyclops does not appear to have any issues with heat build-up on the case.

Considering how much cheaper these are than the competition, I'm very happy with them. The only remotely competitive alternative would be sketchy ebay lights, which tend to be flimsy and overheat-prone, have vague and dubious specs and effectively no customer service, and generally require you to supply your own DC-DC converter. These are an easy choice to just strap on, plug in, and go riding with confidence. Strongly recommended. If I were to buy again, I'd consider the higher-power Cyclops for the sake of having a button that's more flush with the casing.

My first attempt at wiring them into my system involved hand-soldered XT90 taps. This turned out to be pretty messy and difficult. I've since rebuilt my wiring harness using a couple bus bars inside a project box stuffed into my battery bag, with everything connecting to that by crimped ring terminals. This provides improved mechanical strength and makes it much easier to add/remove individual accessories.

Thanks for your helpful review. I'm looking to connect the rear lights to a switch on the handle bars. Can the rear lights be configured to blink when the switch is activated? In other words, can the rear lights blink, and, if so, can they be set to blink as soon as they are turned on?

No, none of the lights (at least as of when I bought them) had any extended functionality whatsoever. Probably the biggest missing feature. You could probably wire your own blinking circuit in series with them without any difficulties.

Back