Stealth Bomber: Opinions?

I've written about the Stealth Bomber here: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6693

I'm hoping to see it in person early '09 and will write back with my opinions.

It's not cheap but there's nothing else like it that can be bought today. If you want to hit the trails silently, have the option to pedal (and backup motive power should you run out of batteries) then to me they're more appealing then a Quantya or Zero. If you've bought a top of the line DH bike or a decent moto, you're probably already used to forking out this kind of cash.

the US to AU dollar situation makes it even more attractive you ya'll Stateside.

I love the crank mounted gearbox design, I've been a fan of internal gear hubs and gearboxes on bikes for quite a while. Being able to ditch the derailleur is fantastic. DH racers can destroy half a dozen in a season, so the value adds up.

Jerome Daoust said:
$5593 USD.

For that kind of money you could build like 2-3 DIY ebikes with similar capabilities. It's an awesome ride no doubt about it, but building these things ain't rocket science... just saying. :)

pwbset said:
Jerome Daoust said:
$5593 USD.

For that kind of money you could build like 2-3 DIY ebikes with similar capabilities. It's an awesome ride no doubt about it, but building these things ain't rocket science... just saying. :)

Not too many of us have built our own custom frames from the ground up with integrated torque arms, battery compartments, and internal gearboxes. Let alone properly designed long travel rear suspension.

It's not rocket science but it's a huge set up from a converted ebike, my project included.

voicecoils said:
Not too many of us have built our own custom frames from the ground up with integrated torque arms, battery compartments, and internal gearboxes. Let alone properly designed long travel rear suspension.

Well sure.. clearly I over simplified the point sorry. I'm not trying to knock the obvious thought and hard work put into their bikes. Believe me if I had the money I'd buy one in a heartbeat. They look awesome. I'm just saying that getting a dirt cheap donor bike, some EV Tech torque arms, an ebikes.ca motor/CA/controller setup, a Ping pack etc. is pretty darn simple for even someone with no mechanical or electrical skills like myself. I really am not trying to belittle anyone's efforts here. I just know that most people can't afford that kind of money that's all. Anyway apologies...

pwbset said:
Well sure.. clearly I over simplified the point sorry...Anyway apologies...

No need to apologize or be sorry. :D

I don't make the bike, but I do often hear people say "that costs $xx.xx? I could make/build/do that for way less!" If that was the case, good on them - go for it!

If someone was asking for a practical low power ebike for commuting, I wouldn't be telling them to checkout the Stealth Bomber and I agree they could have 2-3 DIY bikes for the that price.

Voicecoils and I rode the Stealth Bomber on the weekend - thanks Getadirtbike.

It's big, it's PLUSH, it goes fast (up to 90kmh on the velodrome), and it stops quickly. When you add up the cost of the bits, you see why they cost what they do (X5, controller, 72v (80v?) 20 Ah Lipo or LiFePO4, V-boxx, RST triple clamp forks, hi-end hydraulic brakes, custom frame...)

It's not what you want for riding to work, it's a dedicated downhill bike, made for jumping and big hits. It would eat terrain which would destroy an Optibike. They are for different purposes.

Getadirtbike said to stay tuned for more bike models - something more XC maybe, not sure.

The Stealth Bomber was an awesome ride, thanks Getadirtbike !!!

It's the best utilisation of a Crystalyte motor I've seen so far. The design is simple, elegant, well thought out & executed. The v-box 9 speed gearbox for pedaling makes perfect sense for the application and the single speed chainline from the cranks to rear wheel is the best solution for a number of reasons.

I reckon he should have a thumb throttle for test riders, I nearly looped the bike into Mark's car :oops: :oops: :oops:

I'm more determined then ever to get my X5 on the road and enjoy that SMOOTH power and plush suspension.

Here's a pic I took:

Videos etc are at his site: http://www.stealthelectricbikes.com.au

Few new bits of info on the Bomber. A dirt bike rider in Florida has bought one and posted up a few videos:
[youtube]XuIF19MrK4k[/youtube]
[youtube]kc1rY_toj9k[/youtube]

He also posted up his impressions on the Stealth Bomber vs. Zero X which he also owns, on a dirt bike forum:

Which do you like better, the zero dirt or the stealth?
I like the stealth better. But it's fresh & new to me so keep that in mind. Also, I am riding it for exercise, so I get out on it a lot more often. And for exercise, it is superb, it really is. Get as much burn as you want, and you can go far away or ride any area. Legs are noodles after a ride.

I get a lot more farting around time while riding. So far I can ride as long as I want, and as fast or slow. I ride on any path I want, only going on the street when I ride at speed. Just like back when I was a kid, I find little things to jump or bunny hop. Too heavy to huck, but it doesn't take much of a bump to launch off. Riding off-road is when you notice the relatively low power. You have to ride in a different style, keeping momentum and avoiding squaring off turns.

With the zero you have more power, especially with a peak of at least 20 HP, which lets it be ridden like a dirt bike. The problem for me is that I don't get a lot of time on the seat. Always less than an hour. So I get frustrated if I have trailered to a riding area, and don't get enough riding. When riding local, it is always high speed on the street because it isn't something you can get away with on the sidewalk.

Since I have been riding the stealth I have been able to explore many more areas than I ever have with the zero. Mitigating the power by pedaling gives me a ton more range at the lower speeds. The dash is much better at calculating range because it measures the discharge. I would like to get a similar dash computer on the zero because range is currently very difficult to figure out.

The 'dash' he's talking about is a Cycle Analyst.

This seems to be a very nice electric mountain bike. Much nicer than the 2009 IZIP. It reminds me of the optibike, which is even more expensive. If you just want an urban cruising road bike, then you don't need this Stealth.
Right off the bat I'd say it's much better than your other IZIP Bike post.

RTLSHIP said:
This seems to be a very nice electric mountain bike. Much nicer than the 2009 IZIP. It reminds me of the optibike, which is even more expensive. If you just want an urban cruising road bike, then you don't need this Stealth.
Right off the bat I'd say it's much better than your other IZIP Bike post.

The IZip's are in a totally different category!

The Bomber is a full suspension long travel bike with a lot of power for an ebike. The OptiBike is a nice XC or street bike, no question about it. Different beast though.

'Need' is a very subjective concept :mrgreen:

The reason I mentioned IZIP is that Jerome did an IZIP post.
I use the word "need" because alot of roads don't require suspension. You can get by without it. It would still
be alot cheaper to put a nice ekit onto a full suspension mountain bike and add a 48 or 56 volt lipo or lifepo4 type pack.

RTLSHIP said:
The reason I mentioned IZIP is that Jerome did an IZIP post.
I use the word "need" because alot of roads don't require suspension. You can get by without it. It would still
be alot cheaper to put a nice ekit onto a full suspension mountain bike and add a 48 or 56 volt lipo or lifepo4 type pack.

Cool point taken. Jerome is very active online, I haven't kept up with all his posts!

I was a strong advocate of a 'light rigid ebike' for my commuter project, but even with a light hubmotor, the bike's weight ballooned out to ~30 kg. Above 40 km/h my bike would really benefit from quality full suspension, especially with the state of some of the roads around here. The Ultramotor A2B could be a good option for someone without a OptiBike or Stealth Electric Bike budget but wanting a ready to ride solution.

Hey, I learned something from you, voicecoils. next time I take my car to the mechanic I'll say that "need" is too subjective a concept.
This Stealth Bomber has a motor that meshes with your pedaling. Probably it has a throttle only mode which many prefer. I don't like pedal assist.

I have a new b52 bomber and I took it for a ride to town and back and the battery was nearly flat at only 15 miles so the estimated 50 is pure bull and this is the only reason I will end up selling it unless I can get a proper battery fitted
And has anyone else getting low miles on there's

Thx
Steve

Is "Stealth" Bomber really stealth, I mean completely silent on take off?
The one I met on my trip from Vancouver was making whine on take off I could hear 50 meters away.
Owner mentioned 20km range .

Back