3 kW Cyclone Middrive, The Budget Dream Kit

akrenits

10 mW
First, a big thanks to wesnewell, dogman dan, and greg_p, as well as everyone else who helped me on my first build.

Second, a word of encouragement to first builders. Complexity of a high power or full suspension build is something the veterans here rightfully warn noobs against, but if you do thorough research and go in with a plan, its completely possible to create a high power, high speed, steep terrain, long(ish) range bike for under $800. As long as you are willing to not be a custom build hero (go for the kit).

All said and done, my build cost me $900, not including the bike (which I got for $80 at a police auction in 2003). Specs below
- 72v, 13000mah lipo batteries in series
- 40a
- top tested speed: 55mph (still pulling, but I wouldn't test higher on regular mountain bike tires)
- estimated top speed: 62mph
- gentle driving range: 50 miles
- no pedal range: 30 miles
- brutal riding range: 20 miles

The 3kw 3 chainwheel kit from cyclone allows this bike to work as a full suspension hill climber, a high speed drag racer, or a comfortable commuter. I have beat cars to 40mph off a red light. The naysayers will tell me I am reckless, that this power is too much for a bike chain, that its unnecessary even if it wasnt, and that nobody should ride a bike 60mph.

To that, I say: try it for yourself.

I have thrashed this bike for a few months now. Every weekend it has seen dirt bike style 6 ft jumps and drops, long distance 40 mile round trips to the beach, sand dune riding while I was there, and many, many falls during the adrenaline shenanigans.

Other issues I've heard about this kit:
- Mounting brackets are crap
- Full suspension incompatibility
- Shipping costs
- Support

My responses:
- The new style mounting brackets that come standard have held up to my abuse, even after modification
- My bike's suspension type is practically unheard of. The bottom bracket swivels, requiring me to cut out sections of the bottom bracket. No other bike i have seen will have this problem. The kit comes with a chain tensioner that made my bike work, and will improve function on other less complex builds nonetheless
- Shipping costs are indeed absurd; just barely under $100 for a 3 week delivery. Thanks China. Actually, thanks China, because even for the total price, you can't find a complete middrive kit for anywhere near that price, much less with that much power. AND it's one of their cheapest kits!
- I have not contacted them for support, but even as someone who has never even replaced their chain before this project, the instructional images up on their site were more than adequate.

Other things I loved:
- Kit only required batteries (Included motor, mounts, bottom bracket, new cranks, 3 freewheel chainwheel, 40a controller, throttle w/ voltmeter and key start)
- Motor and controller are rain/sand proof

Things that could be improved:
- Throttle is a bit touchy with 3kw+ at the wheels. It is roughly a 1/4 turn, but only 2/3 of it function as a potentiometer leaving 1/3 useless
- Kit comes with a ziptie for motor's vertical stability. It works, but looks a bit ghetto

How to improve it:
- Replace the ziptie with a proper mounting plate (again not necessary) or at least a metal hose clamp
- Add a Cycle Analyst to convert your throttle into a current throttle instead of voltage. Much smoother delivery and fuller ROM

Other Notes for Noobs:
- If you use Lipo (and you should, its super cheap), pick up a bms from aliexpress.com to function as a balance charger
- If I was to build this kit again, I would settle at 60v (2-8s lipos with less capacity), still giving 3kw on a full charge. Cost estimate on that build is ~$600, plus a bike.

Pics will follow in a week or two, any thoughts ES?

akrenits said:
Pics will follow in a week or two, any thoughts ES?

Yes: can I move this to the Ebike Reviews and Testing section? ;)

6 Foot jumps and 62mph? Woah, this I gotta see. :shock:

Pics please.

I agree that this kit is a steal for what it can do. I'm sure it can be improved further for little cost. Here's my stock build up, just to test it out. Was quite impressed with how quiet it runs! Just got this kit a few weeks ago after Luna restocked.

View attachment 14
RMBB_ES.jpg
ISISBBWidth_ES.jpg
CycloneMotorWidth_ES.jpg
RMBBInstall_ES.jpg
View attachment 9
Wait a minute! WT...
CycloneChainLine_ES.jpg
CycloneAssemblyIssues_ES.jpg
View attachment 6
View attachment 5
After pulling some of the bolts out to see how everything was put together I found that there are a couple 20mm spacers in there. I'm guessing they just put it together in the wrong order. Just move them from the middle to the drive side.
CycloneSpacerCorrection_ES.jpg
CycloneCorrectedChainLine_ES.jpg
CycloneIdlerPulley_ES.jpg
CycloneNDSCrankArmSpacer_ES.jpg
Slapped and Strapped together! Promise it's less hideous without the orange ratchet strap. Don't have a CA or cyclometer hooked up, but she'll pull the front wheel up in all but the bottom 3 cogs, and probably doing about 40mph with this 48v pack. 72v pack will get you up around 50mph. (Note: I also have LR Big Block for comparison)

Attachments

• RMCycloneComplete_ES.jpg
    RMCycloneComplete_ES.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 2,787
l get you up around 50mph. (Note: I also have LR Big Block for comparison)

How does this C3000w compare to the LR big block ? Noise power torque etc ?

Back