Luna 48v, 13.5ah, GA cell, shark pack, experience to date

MikeSSS

1 kW
Today's ride was 24 miles, mostly flat, a few short and mild climbs, I pedaled a lot. The built in battery indicator showed 3/4 capacity left. Resting voltage, before charging, was 48.5 volts. Power near the end of the ride was as good as at the beginning. Power: no idea about maximum power, the throttle never is pushed all the way forward, except when using 36v or 12ah gel cells.

I'm using an Aotema front, direct drive, brushless, sensorless hub motor, on an old mountain type bike with 26 x 1.5 no name tires at 50 psi. Riding is bike path and streets, riding slow, looking at deer, avoiding imperial entanglements, pedaling mild to significant.

Bottom Line: Luna's 48v, 13.5ah, GA cell, shark battery and Luna Advanced Charger ..... exceeds all my expectations, and exceeds them by a lot. Same can be said for the Aotema hub motor and controller, a 36v setup that performs just fine at 48v.

WOW!!!

PS, thanks to all who have posted their results and therefore paved the path for we noobs to follow.

These are the good old days.

Hmmm ?.. So what do we conclude from that ?
You went for a bike ride and took a battery along with you !
......, riding slow, looking at deer, avoiding imperial entanglements, pedaling mild to significant. .....
It sounds like a pleasant ride, but mild to significant is not a practical measurement of human input.
Battery tests are meaningless when you pedal any amount.

Seems we might conclude that he's new to ebikes and likes his a lot.

Keep riding Mike

Based on 3 amp charge rate and 2.02 hours to recharge, the battery took about 6ah to recharge.

Voltage was 48.5v at the end of the ride, this for a 13s, 4p, GA cell battery. Voltage after recharge and after a few hours of rest was 54.1v. The Luna Advanced Charger had the selector switch set to its mid position, the position for "90%" charge.

To me, this battery is delivering more miles, per charge, than I had expected. So far it has been used for a total of around 150 miles of riding.

Chargers do not supply the same amperage for the whole of the charge period, so you likely put a lot less than 6ahr back into the pack.
Does anybody else think the subject and timing of this thread is convenient ?? :wink:

What,, like he bought something and now he has it and he likes it, and that's convenient? Should he start hating what he bought now? Vendor squabbles don't mean shit to him. He got what he wanted, and likes it.

Since this is a review thread, I'm moving it to the reviews section, leaving the ghost thread here.

Hopefully leaving the ghost here too. FYI, I've had excellent, but not quantified, performance from my Luna 52V, 10 a/h pack for more than a year.

25.1 mile ride today, voltage at the end was 50.8v. Before the ride I put the battery on the charger for about 35 minutes, charge selector was set for 100% charge, charged cutoff was not reached. The battery came off charge at 55.9v, assisted me for the 25.1 miles (measured by GPS), and had 50.8v remaining after the ride finished. Recharge was to 90% selected, at 3 amps, recharge time was 1:22, recharged voltage was 55.0 volts. Calculated watt average was 89 watts, calc'd amp average was 1.86 amps. Please note: the calculated averages are not real accurate. This is because recharge amps are not rigorously known, besides that, chargers go through a voltage titration, to get to the desired resting voltage for the battery.

Riding position is very upright, and I wear a broad brimmed hat, this is a very high air drag riding position. Pedaling effort was medium light, road speed average was 11.4 mph. No joy on deer but a large coyote came out in front of me, looking away, up wind. The yote was focusing on an approaching walker, I was downwind and got pretty close before the coyote heard me singing, turned around and trotted off the path. Many roadies dusted me, I'm pretty sure the 50, or so, people I encountered, did not recognize the bike as an ebike. The big, wide, Selle Stratos Hyper Plush spring seat, made the ride only minimally painful. I did ride faster than I wanted, but hey, that's part of ebiking.

Bottom line is that I continue to be impressed with this Luna, GA cell, battery. It has more range than I anticipated. A lot more. And it has plenty of power. Besides that, it is really easy to use and to live with.

Conclusions reached: this $180 ebike + Luna battery = being able to ride distance, again. These things are, therefore, priceless.

PS, I'm tempted to ride the same ride, on my pedal only road bike, ride it on the aero bars, go for lower time than with the ebike.

I'm hoping that this thread of results will help those considering ebikes, to get into the game. It's a great game.

Back