Magura MT5 four-piston front brake improves brake power and modulation

Reid_Welch

1 mW
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LO0G2QG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Was installed yesterday by self on Juiced Crosscurrent S, front only.

It was an easy installation. The kit can be used for either front or rear. I had to shorten the hose, of course, and instructions in the kit explain how to do that without requiring bleeding afterward.

The increase in braking power is more than expected. The great point: the modulation or controllable feel of the brake power is very much superior to the former Tektro HD-E350 brake. I could surely do an endo with the power of this brake, but to prevent that, I have been practicing controlled partial endos. Yet I won't endo this bike because the Magura modulation is so consistently mild. You can feel everything through the Magura lever, so it seems.

I had planned to also fit a 203mm rotor. Couldn't, though, because the low-end Suntour spring/oil damped fork can't clearance but a 180mm. Never mind. There is PLENTY of brake power to haul me down fast from 28mph. So, until the day comes when I upgrade to a better fork I will keep the 180mm disc. It works great with the Magura MT5

I will not upgrade the rear, still Tektro brake. In fact, I am going to downgrade it with a 160mm rotor tomorrow, to further equalize the usable brake without rear wheel lockup that can be applied between front and rear wheels in a fast braking situation.

I put these on my 2011 ICE Trike for the two front wheels + 180mm disc and its been great! Love not having to constantly adjust the old BB7s. I put a cheap Tektro mechanical brake on the rear wheel with the hub motor for a parking brake.

Does this mean you have done take off hydraulic front brakes you might be willing to sell? :)

I'm looking to upgrade the v brakes on my 8fs downtube folder that I'm kitting out with a 1500w leaf bike kit this weekend

Please let me know!

Robin

goosenoose said:
Does this mean you have done take off hydraulic front brakes you might be willing to sell? :)

I replaced some funked up BB7 mechanical brakes. You are welcome to them, but I don't recommend them in general and these in particular will need rebuilding...

Even a coaster brake can lockup a tyre, meaning you can't get anymore braking power than that. So technically the last thing spending more money on brakes is about, is simply more braking power. It's all about better modulation & dissipating heat for staying power brake-wise on long descents. Well as I understand the theory anyway.

DABANSHEE said:
Even a coaster brake can lockup a tyre, meaning you can't get anymore braking power than that. So technically the last thing spending more money on brakes is about, is simply more braking power. It's all about better modulation & dissipating heat for staying power brake-wise on long descents. Well as I understand the theory anyway.

Nice thread necro, and terrible advice. Locking up a rear brake is easy, but not that many fast ebikes have enough brake to max out front braking especially not with the rider down and back. Even if that weren't true modulation and thermal capacity are hardly overrated.

I agree about the Magura MT5's they are far superior to anything less than double the price.
I've found they work best with 203mm Icetech rotors and semi-metallic pads. very adjustable and consistently stop from >105kph

flat tire said:
but not that many fast ebikes have enough brake to max out front braking especially not with the rider down and back.
My 160mm disk + cable brake is enough to lock up my 26" front wheel (which I learned to my chagrin.) And it's quite true that you don't need more than that. However, to your point, heat dissipation and "feel" (ability to modulate) are important as well.

FYI

The Magura MT 5 stock version are sold at Bike Bling .com for $105. For the e version with cut off Chainreaction.com sells them for $125 . I feel in some instances I need more stopping power from the rear so I have both 203 mm rotors rear and back on my heavy 58 lbs. Spitzing M1 , excellent brakes .

I have an EEB frame and was wondering which Magura Brake adaptors you used. Am currently running
Shimano XTR TRAIL BL-M9020 BR-M9020 Hydraulic Disc Brake Set w/ Metal Fin Pad and ICE rotors. :)
I am in need of Front and Rear adaptors!

Back