BMSBattery all-in-one hub

Lynx

100 µW
https://bmsbattery.com/home/857-all-in-one-hub.html#/453-capacity_selection-8_7ah

I know, I know... asking e-bike experts about an all-in-one hub is like asking linux experts about Ubuntu. But I can't find any user reviews no matter how I google or youtube search. I can't even rely on amazon.com reviews. All my usual review-gathering tools are failing me.

The general opinion of BMS Battery seems to be good here on this forum, so I'm hoping against hope that somebody here has used one of their all-in-ones and can say whether they are good, sometimes good and sometimes a fail or just junk.

If I do get this, I am aware of the padded shipping cost and it will not catch me by surprise (at least not second time.)

Also does anybody know if it is possible to change the battery cells once they wear down?

BMSBattery has a history of selling mid-low quality goods, charging jacked up shipping, and having questionable support at times.
Not my first choice, or my second.. maybe my fourth.. if they have some item i absolutely can't find somewhere else.

Here's another thing about hub motors with controllers inside. Probably a dozen companies have tried this over the years, and it seems like nobody can figure out how to make the internal controller reliable. The problem might be related to the fact that the motor and controller both have to share the same heat space, and the controller dies of overheating before the motor does.

A good example of this is the magic pie. There's been 5 revisions of that motor, including at least 4 different controller designs. During the third revision, they designed the motor case so that the controller is easily replaceable. Based on user reports, even the fifth generation suffers failures..

I doubt that a design like this, with the addition of a third heat producing component, is better engineered than the hall of integrated controller design failures..
The sucky thing is that when one component goes out, you need to contact the manufacturer for a new part because every single piece of this set up is proprietary. Tuning options are also limited to what the manufacturer decided the controller will allow. Bogus!

Just my 2 cents though. You do what you want.

Ah, that explains... a few things actually. Thank you for the two cents.

The reason I thought BMSBattery was well thought of here was because of a sticky somewhere around here that said a lot of people liked BMSBattery for a drop-in battery replacement. What you describe is much closer to the impression I get from their website.

Alas your qualms about all-in-one hubs have the ring of logic. What you say makes sense. Unfortunately. :cry: But on the bright side, your two cents has probably saved me more than $600. Thank you again.

You'll prob get a lot of this, but maybe with it's tiny 250 watt output maybe they could pull off the controller in there, but the battery too makes it seem like a recipe for failure. I say that as the second hand owner of Wavecrest and Bionx systems(that don't work) .

Plus, with exclusive phone control, I'd be worried about the charger port if the system has one, and rain etc. Sometimes a little wire here and there isn't a bad thing... And if it's app based, what if they start charging for updates, or locking you out like Photobucket, or selling your tracking info and whatnot?

Another thing I'd consider is the possibility of the vendor going under, and the app required to operate the motor falling out of compatibility with newer versions of Android/iOS.

There is no guarantee of backward compatibility in the Android ecosphere, not sure about iOS.

For example Google is working to push the Android app space to fully 64 bit in the next few years, eventually 32 bit apps will not be supported at all. That's going to break alot of older, unmaintained Android apps.

Actually water intrusion is something i haven't thought about as a negative to this. Yeah, it does look like the motor is in the inner ring, therefore the batteries would be in the outer area, which is exactly where water likes to hang out.

It might look cute but it's a nightmare from an engineering perspective.

Also, you're welcome!

I was thinking more just trying to operate your phone screen in the rain, but water pooling in the motor would probably be pretty terrible too...

Back