Puma at 82V Test

knoxie

1 MW
Right

Got the Puma going in a 26 inch wheel with the 150V modified controller tonight was a blast and very quick, here is what I found.

On the flat it pulled very hard and fast right over 40mph and settled at 43mph on the flat! this seemed very fast, I was going past a lorry depot and had to back off fearing the weak breaks on the Raleigh would not stop me. :lol:

I ran out of town up a steep hill and it held 30mph! quite amazing, the motor was a little warm after all this blasting around I would say maybe 45 deg or so, this isnt unusual and about the operating temp of my USPD, the controller was warm but not hot I would say 35 deg or so.

Now I knew I was having too much fun! ha ha and sadly under hard throttle one of the Lipos hit its low voltage cut off and cut the power, the usual smell of burning silicon :lol: been there seen that!! so I hooked in the flip top lipo and it all sparkled back in to life and I motored home at a more sedate 25mph! he he.

Mark is going to check with the supplier of the batteries but I think the old school Lipos (the ones that dont have the sep BMS) may struggle to cope if they hit LV cut off at 72V under load, its interesting as the new Flip top BMS was connected the both times I have blown a BMS and the new flip top BMS did not blow, its not too much of a problem as I have spares and will just fit the pack in to another box like on the other one.

The good news is it seems the controller mod is spot on and seems bullet proof, however I think at 72V I would limit the current to 20A with a Puma, with this in Mind it may be better to run a 20A controller at 72V, the Puma may take more but I think it may be pushing it, I have been running 1400 W for about 3 weeks, I will take the motor apart in a month to see how its holding up.

So in a nutshell its looking pretty good, the Puma is a flyer in a 26 Inch wheel at 72V, amazing hill climber and superb top speed, the modified controller should be good for 100V or so which is also good news.

Mark will be using the new Blue Lipo packs in the future though, they are more heavy duty and have better BMS, the flip top Lipos do seem to cope ok at 72V though something to think about if you intend to run 72V.

Such a lot of fun!!

Knoxie 8)

damn you for beating my 40mph top speed with your "lipo" batteries and your "geared" hub motor! :p

Hi M8

Yes he he its a super blast at 72V, I will get the camera up and film it next time for posterity! the controller and the motor seem great now, just get the lipos sorted at 72V and we are all good to go, 1,400W is enough for most people I am sure, tonight I was prob pushing 2,000W at times, thats a bit much on a bike! lots of fun but to fast to safe! those brakes are not up to it.

Had a proper blast and the super skinny road tyres I put on at the weekend have made it handle superb an all round mega fun ride!

Hope you are still having fun, soon as the weather is clear Ill be out on my KMX as well, so many bikes so little time :lol:

Cheers

Knoxie

YYAAAAYYYY!!!!

That's great news on the Puma. What would you estimate the grade was on the 30mph climb? Can the windings be forced air cooled without contaminating the gear reduction area?

Hi

Yes I think the motor could have a little help in ventilation without compromising the gears, not sure about forced air as the whole thing is spinning but it may be possible, the climb out of town is about a 15% grade or so, I think on the flat if I had tucked in a little the top speed would have been greater maybe nearer 46mph or so.

I have sussed the problem with the Lipo already, the old batteries were using IRF3205 fets, ok at 42V but a problem switching 82V when they are only rated at 55V, the new BMS although not checked I think must run higher voltage rated fets, its no problem as there are only 6 to swap out and I have found a UK supplier for the 150V 80A fets, not that these batteries need them, they are using 6 in parallel!

Time will tell how the Puma goes but the controller looks solid (150V), the motor appears so (not broke one yet) and the battery issue will be fixed in 10 mins for me at least, the new flip top ones are ok at 72V.

I will do some video as soon as I have repaired the lipo and fitted decent fets to the BMS, I may just go with 100V fets as they have lower on resistance, that said the 150V ones seem to be doing the business nicely.

Cheers

Knoxie

100v sounds like a good match for the Puma, so the 100v rated FETs would better at only 3.7 milli ohms. A few more volts and you could be the next member of the 50mph club! 8)

Nice one Paul. Good work 8)
Which motor is this? One of the next batch Mark is waiting for? When can I buy already!?
I would just run it in place of my x'lite, using my trusty 20A controller, with the existing paralell/series relay (42v/84v). Sounds like 42v would run it at reasonable speeds and be very ecenomic, and 84v would be great fun for more power and a higher speed than I will wish to test! The controller is already doing just that with no problems :D

Hi

Its early days I suppose but certainly the controller is holding up now which is a big thing for me after all the graft, I don't know how the gears or windings will hold up I guess I will find out, this is the whole purpose to test it quite literally to destruction! see how much it can take there is little point in doing otherwise. You can get the BMC motor from Evdeals but it is not strictly the Puma motor, I have explained this in detail in another thread.

Dave, Maytag has modified his one also with thicker cable and he has also modified his controller, I think a nice limit for me would be 60V 25A on the Puma, just right for motor, batteries, gears and controller, and of course a great ride.

I will report back once I fix up the Lipo with better fets, typical penny pinching for a few pennies more and a different bunch of fets it would have been ok, oh the joys of wax!!

Talk about flies in your teeth!! 8) I had on motorcycle gloves, a motorcycle jacket with body armour and a full face helmet :lol: gott stay safe and pretty :wink:

Knoxie

I'm running 76s NiMH cells with IRFB4110's and no problems. Voltage is right at 105v freshly charged and stays in the high 90's (no load) for most of the pack.

Lowell said:
I'm running 76s NiMH cells with IRFB4110's and no problems. Voltage is right at 105v freshly charged and stays in the high 90's (no load) for most of the pack.

Yikes! that's pushing it. Good thing you have the extra capacitors.
I think this demonstrates that the frequent failures in the stock 4710's is probably not due to exceeding the voltage rating.

Hi

I agree also I think it has a lot more to do with the fet mounting hardware as well, combo of both, I just wanted a controller I can run at 110V as I want to run an X5 at 110V maybe more!! he he. Got to fabricate the torque arms and beef up the Lipo BMS in order to do so though. I think the X5 will run well at 110V

Cheers

Knoxie

Jozzer said:
Nice one Paul. Good work 8)
Which motor is this? One of the next batch Mark is waiting for? When can I buy already!?
I would just run it in place of my x'lite, using my trusty 20A controller, with the existing paralell/series relay (42v/84v). Sounds like 42v would run it at reasonable speeds and be very ecenomic, and 84v would be great fun for more power and a higher speed than I will wish to test! The controller is already doing just that with no problems :D

Yes your controller would be fine as it has already been working at 80V no reason to think otherwise. I would hang back for the new Puma it is stronger and bigger, fatter windings and everything, that said the existing Puma would be OK esp as your controller is 20A.

You would get slightly less speed in a KMX as it has a 24 Inch wheel, still it would rock and roll still and go faster than you want to go, the KMX would take taller gearing better as they have less wind resistance slightly.

I am sure you can hang on for the new Puma! ha ha I will have one for testing.

Cheers

Knoxie

Back