Eggrider V2 Display

mcfizzlestag

10 mW
Who here has an Eggrider v2 and what are your thoughts on it?

I have been using mine for a week now and already loving it much more than my old ebikes display (BAC-601) which i ended up removing completely. It is by far the most minimalist display i've found to work with the BBSxx motors, so i jumped at the oppurtunity when i noticed em3ev listed it as a display option. Plus the option to not need a USB cable to program is definately an advantage to it. Being able to adjust your parameters on the road has been a plus too.

here is a pic of it on my handlebars:
file.php

It does have the option to output graphs for trip info such as voltage/current when you sync it to your phone, but those features are still buggy. You often end up many 0km trips, or even trips without the graphs available due to a buggy data pull from the display. Some of these issues are due to beta firmware/apps that you have an option to join, others are still in the stable release. It does not compare to a cycle analyst, but it at least looks sleek on the handlebars and can give you some useful information.

One thing i have seen pop up in its support areas is people upgrading to the test firmware without being enrolled in the Beta for the Play store, so they end up with a firmware/software conflict. So if you go the beta route, make sure you sign up on the play store for it, AND you email them, AND you have updated your phone app (took 2-3 days for update to appear), then you can upgrade the firmware. I'm not sure eggrider can fix this delay due to it being a play store issue.

Another annoyance will be the need to activate the app through emailing eggrider and waiting for their non-automated response with a code.

The developpers have been spot on with the support, they release periodic updates and listen to the feedback. Features that i know are in the works:
-*.el file support for profile importing from app
-Offroad Mode switch changed to long press to prevent accidental mode change.
-Offroad mode only being accessed through your phone (locked out from handlebar display)
-Different Mode names (some dont like the word offroad)

heres a link to their wiki:
https://bitbucket.org/eggpower/eggriderv2/wiki/Home

Not shown in my picture or the wiki, is they added another measurement to the display thats next to the speedometer in small writing, Rxx = estimated Range xx km (or miles), thought it was an error code due to buried documentation on it.

Not sure how I missed this.
I have 1 ER I have been using for about a year.
I like it alot.
The ability to modify profiles and parameters via the phone is excellent.
Waiting on my second 1 now.
I have 1 on a BBSHD Ludicrous and another on an 02.

I have 1 ER on a BBS02-500W/36V. The display is a little small but thats the only complaint.

I got an Eggrider V2 on my BBSHD that's driven by an ASI BAC855 controller.

The good:
-The OLED display is great!
-Doesn't take a lot of space.
-It feels really durable and water proof.

The bad:
-They stopped pushing updates. I can think of multiple features and changes that would be great to have, but won't happen.
-They got app and firmware betas available upon request, I would prefer if they published that stuff on their site.
-They use some kind of activation service in the app. If they decide to shut down without unlocking their stuff everyone will eventually be stuck with bricks.

fja2 said:

The good:

The bad:
-They stopped pushing updates. I can think of multiple features and changes that would be great to have, but won't happen.
-They got app and firmware betas available upon request, I would prefer if they published that stuff on their site.
-They use some kind of activation service in the app. If they decide to shut down without unlocking their stuff everyone will eventually be stuck with bricks.

There is update (v.2.5) with new screen layout etc. It came out yesterday :D

Nixunen said:
fja2 said:

The good:

The bad:

There is update (v.2.5) with new screen layout etc. It came out yesterday :D

You're right. Now the official version is where my previous beta version of the app was! Wish they published my firmware or some newer one soon as well.

I've been using the ER v2 for more than a year and like it, especially with the latest release which improves both the display and the phone app. When I first got the ER, updating the firmware was frustrating. Now it's much easier to do.

ER gives access to the motor parameters, and the latest version of the manual tries to explain what they are, even some (but not all) of the arcane ones.

I have a visibility gripe about color choice on the phone app's real time efficiency graph for the last ten miles ridden (which I love!). Pale orange is not legible under bright sun. Ditch the pale colors! My long standing complaint is the lack of data smoothing on the phone app for real time reporting of amps, watts, and efficiency. The numbers jump around wildly. ER also provides static graphs for each completed ride, and some of the values you can have graphed need data smoothing too, the same ones that jump around on the app's screen while riding.

Jim Subzero said:
I've been using the ER v2 for more than a year and like it, especially with the latest release which improves both the display and the phone app. When I first got the ER, updating the firmware was frustrating. Now it's much easier to do.

ER gives access to the motor parameters, and the latest version of the manual tries to explain what they are, even some (but not all) of the arcane ones.

I have a visibility gripe about color choice on the phone app's real time efficiency graph for the last ten miles ridden (which I love!). Pale orange is not legible under bright sun. Ditch the pale colors! My long standing complaint is the lack of data smoothing on the phone app for real time reporting of amps, watts, and efficiency. The numbers jump around wildly. ER also provides static graphs for each completed ride, and some of the values you can have graphed need data smoothing too, the same ones that jump around on the app's screen while riding.

There's a workaround for number visibility on the realtime efficiency graph for the last ten miles (or km). If you turn on the headlight for nighttime display, the invisible colors become very visible. Since the current mile ridden gets updated every quarter mile, that amounts to data smoothing over the current mile.

Recent updates to Eggrider app and firmware allow frictionless firmware updates via the app. It used to be a pain. There is one little thing, though, with the iOS app. You must allow apps under Settings/Privacy/Tracking to Request to Track, at least temporarily, so you can grant tracking to the ER. Otherwise, the firmware update fails. This is due to issues between ER and Apple that I do not understand. One hopes it gets resolved.

George tries to explain it on the Facebook Eggrider group. George says that ER does not track its users. It certainly does not need to. This insecurity needs to be fixed. I am using the iOS App v2.6.04 and Display Firmware v2.5.61. Don't upgrade if you are much concerned about this insecurity.

To get that question answered, join (I hate to say this) the facebook eggrider group. George, who wrote and maintains the ER software, reads it and responds. (It's having to deal with facebook that I don't like. George is okay.)

Back