Home Depot Solar Panels $1/watt (approx) Free Shipping

Papa

10 kW
I bought 6 Grape 100W panels at $97 ea. +free shipping at my local HD. $616. (Tax was .06%).

Model: GS-STAR-100W

I still remember buying my first 100 watt (that was a huge size back then) panel about 25 years ago. Up until then I was running my place off some ancient 33 watt ARCO panels and a antique 200 watt 12 v WinCharger wind turbine. So adding a 100 watt panel was a big deal! And the price was only $500.00! That 500 bucks was a much better deal then I paid for the ARCO's, I couldn't believe how cheap solar was getting........

To put that current HD price in some perspective, I currently locally sell 290 watt REC panels for $260.00 each, $500.00 for two, so 89 cents or .86 per watt. I also deliver free if it's in my area, they fit in the back of the prius with about a 1/2" to spare. The next time someone tries to beat me down on my price, I'll tell them to compare mine ($ per watt) to HD. Good for HD, the more solar around the better.

craneplaneguy said:
The next time someone tries to beat me down on my price, I'll tell them to compare mine ($ per watt) to HD.
You don't tax sales? A $260 module should be $275.60 - ($0.95/Watt.

Because "freight" shipping balloons the cost/watt.. HD's free shipping (to my front door), was the least expensive... by far. I'm 100+ miles from you so HD got my plastic. And if I experience a bad module, it's a 10 minute drive.

I also needed to stay near, but below 69V/series string. These HD modules are 21.9Voc ea. x 3 = 65.7 Voc.

Of course I collect sales tax for the state (I learned my lesson on that, the hard way, about 35 years ago selling ultralight aircraft), but you are correct, my #'s were skewed by failing to add the tax. My point is the same, solar has gotten way cheap! And it's amazing my pricing is still cheaper then HD! I don't make a living selling solar BTW, more of a hobby biz.

I haven't dealt with any "12 volt" modules for years now, the pricing on the larger panels is so good, buying a MPPT charge controller (if off grid and charging batteries) is well worth it. My stock watering customers all like them, as the Grundfos SQ Flex pumps can handle the higher voltage. grid tie its a non issue of course. But yeah, some guy looking for a small module to put on his RV, is better off going to HD.

I'm in hunt for a >70V x 36V (12-20A or so).MPPT - got one?

I had considered HD's 4-pack 265w (slightly lower $/per W too), but couldn't fit the larger footprint. Admittedly I got antsy... PV prices are certainly reasonable, and I was a bit concerned the potential given the recent tariff placed on imports.

Bloomberg News reported that Tesla is in negotiations with Home Depot to set up Kiosks, staffed by Tesla reps ,to sell their solar panels and Power Wall. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-01/tesla-expands-sales-of-solar-gear-at-home-depot-in-critical-test

Papa said:
I'm in hunt for a >70V x 36V (12-20A or so).MPPT - got one?

I had considered HD's 4-pack 265w (slightly lower $/per W too), but couldn't fit the larger footprint. Admittedly I got antsy... PV prices are certainly reasonable, and I was a bit concerned the potential given the recent tariff placed on imports.

No, I quite attempting to keep any controllers in stock, too many different types nowadays for that to be practical.

That is a brillant move for Tesla, re: the Home Depot thing, though personally, I prefer Lowes as my big box builder supply outlet.

Went to retrive my 600W's PV order and HD informed me they sadly hadn't arrived yet (1 day past expected delivery date) claimed lost somewhere. To make it right, they offered me 15% off on a replacement re-order. Let's see... That's $90, so $15 off per panel - or $0.85/Watt. Cool!... I can wait 'nother week :D

While I give'em kodos... there's a catch (isn't there always)... The $90 is in the form of a gift card. Oh well... it makes a decent discount on that black, semi-compact Makita impact i was drooling over.

Back