Solar oven / drying

veloman

10 MW
I love hanging my clothes up outside to dry. It's 90, sunny and windy today. Some of the thin, dark clothing dried within 10 minutes already. The bike clothes and t shirts on the line should take 45 minutes or so.

This is literally faster than the 2300watt electric dryer in our basement. By line drying instead of using the electric dryer, I effectively get to "bank" 2kw of electricity - for charging the ebike all week. There's actually a surplus, depending on how much ebiking I do. In this sense, my ebike could be a ZEV, when I line dry.

I'm thinking for wintertime, build a huge solar oven on the deck, enough to walk into. Place clothes dryer rack in there, with a fan. It would also double as a solar thermal heater during the day, perhaps, when it isn't too too cold out. I would just need to went the air from it to into the house.

Great idea!

I am thinking about a Solar oven, for baking pizza!

I want to create a large scale, solar concentrator oven, with an adjust able heat/air flow.

Me thinks some reflective mylar would do the trick, but am willing to try tin foil first for less dollars.

We have plenty of big bike boxes, and are about to create something that might just work as a clothes dryer as well...

So, Perhaps just a big c shape?

Josh K.

Back