Lobster powered bike? added bonus dinner after you ride.

Just browsing wired.com and saw this, obviously massively implausible but how about swapping your lipo for a lobster or 40. ethics aside would it even be possible?

st_robobugs_f.jpg

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/09/st_robobugs/

That was something I never understood about The Matrix: it would probably take a lot more power to maintain the computer network and hardware and life support for each person than you would get out of them even with total heat-to-electrical conversion, not even counting all the power you would have to use up for grow lights for the food sources and whatnot (assuming algae or other plant-based food; probably even more if you have to synthesize it all artificially).

So it makes no sense for even the root concept required for the story itself--using people for energy sources to power the machines.

Just killing them all to keep them out of the way, then converting the energy of burning the leftover organics, etc., then building and launching solar power stations to beam power back down would make more sense. Or just leave the planet. Not much need for the machines to need the planet itself, other than source materials, and those could probably be found in space, on the moon for instance. That's all assumign the machines couldn't find a way to knock out the sunblocking technology.

Sorry for the OT.... :)

amberwolf said:
That was something I never understood about The Matrix: it would probably take a lot more power to maintain the computer network and hardware and life support for each person than you would get out of them even with total heat-to-electrical conversion, not even counting all the power you would have to use up for grow lights for the food sources and whatnot (assuming algae or other plant-based food; probably even more if you have to synthesize it all artificially).

.... :)

There's a Futurama episode where they poke fun at The matrix for just that point. you know a movie has some serious plot problems when cartoon characters make fun of it.

Why am I not surprised. Someday I need to see mmroe than the couple of episodes of Futurama I have managed to catch. (from back when the first season was airing originally).

Back