Regenerative Motor without slowing down

e-beach

10 MW
Any Los Angeles area beach I am at. Or Santa Monic
amberwolf said:
.......Mostly, I think if you have no experience in the fields at all, Arduino or similar is probably a better starting place.

Mostly I have no experience, and you are probably right about Arduino, but I was thinking I need to think about these things if I am ever going to build the regenerative motor I have been thinking about for about a year and a half. It would be WAY better then regenerative breaks. I am not sure just how the electronics would work on it, or if it would even need anything more then a regulator of some-sort for the batteries or bms. But these are the things I need to start tinkering with so when / if that day comes for me to start building and / or experimenting with a prototype, then I am going to need to understand what I don't understand....if that makes any since. :lol:

(moderator edit: discussion split from this thread:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=45285 )

e-beach said:
Mostly I have no experience, and you are probably right about Arduino, but I was thinking I need to think about these things if I am ever going to build the regenerative motor I have been thinking about for about a year and a half. It would be WAY better then regenerative breaks. I am not sure just how the electronics would work on it, or if it would even need anything more then a regulator of some-sort for the batteries or bms. But these are the things I need to start tinkering with so when / if that day comes for me to start building and / or experimenting with a prototype, then I am going to need to understand what I don't understand....if that makes any since. :lol:

I dont' really understand what you mean by "regenerative motor", since you are distinguishing it from braking regeneratively.

In order to get anything back out of a motor (regeneration), braking is a part of the process. You can't get power out of it without slowing it (and the vehicle) down.

If you just mean Plug Braking, where it essentially shorts the windings together, that's not even regenerative, in that you are wasting the power as heat.

The other way to do braking while getting power back is still regenerative, but it is just switching in a 3-phase bridge rectifier (with it's output to the batteries) in place of the controller, and that will only work as long as the motor is spinning fast enough to generate a voltage higher than the battery voltage--after it slows past that point, no more current flows.

In at least some ebike controllers, they switch the FETs on and off to create "flyback" currents thru the windings as the motor slows, so that it provides a higher voltage, in pulses, and can continue braking and providing battery-charging current for longer, even after the wheel has slowed enough that it is generating a raw voltage much lower than battery voltage.

amberwolf said:
......You can't get power out of it without slowing it (and the vehicle) down.....

You nailed it! That will be the trick all right. Not slowing the motor down. :lol:

All the other stuff you have mentioned is golden. It only gives me new ideas. Although, before I came to ES I was experimenting with magnetically levitated motors and may have solved part of the problem. I had to put it all down when I couldn't find meaningful work and it has sat collecting dust ever since. Copper and Neodymium are expensive. I would like to get back to it and incorporate it into my e-bike. It is a bit tricky, not creating a load. All this is why I need to understand stuff like Arduino in case I can incorporate it to do things like high speed switching which I believe is necessary for the concept.

e-beach said:
You nailed it! That will be the trick all right. Not slowing the motor down. :lol:

Good luck with breaking those physical laws and getting something out of nothing. ;)

If you pull power out of the vehicle, you will slow it down. If you don't slow it down, you won't get any power out of it. The power comes from the inertia of the vehicle's mass being converted back into rotational energy that is then converted into electromagnetic field that is then electrical pulses that then charges the battery.

You can only exchange forms of energy; you can't create it out of nothing. (even converting mass into energy like Star Trek does with matter/antimatter reactors is still doing this)

There isn't a way to make energy to charge your batteries out of the motor's motion without taking energy from the motor's rotation--you would have to have some external source causing the motor to keep rotating, and that energy will have to come from something already on the vehicle, given the losses that always exist in conversions, means you might as well just start with a bigger battery, if the purpose is to give you longer range.

(the two main reasons for regeneration are to extend range by recapturing energy normally lost to braking, and to actually do the braking itself, saving wear on mechanical braking systems).

For better discussion, I think this OT should go into it's own thread in Alternative Energy; do you want me to make one and move it there, and link it here?

amberwolf said:
For better discussion, I think this OT should go into it's own thread in Alternative Energy; do you want me to make one and move it there, and link it here?

Sure..why not. :D

amberwolf said:
Good luck with breaking those physical laws and getting something out of nothing. ;)

Thanks for the good luck! I can use all I can get. :lol:

But here is the thing, and please let me be perfectly clear....I am not looking for free anything! Only looking to harvest what is already there.

As an example that has nothing to do with my regenerative motor concept. One day I was wondering about Tesla's free energy receiver concept. So I hung an 18" x 5' piece of tin foil from a book shelf in a second story bedroom where I live. The foil hung about 10 inches away from a window of about the same size. The window has a venetian blind in it that blocks the sun most of the time. I soldered a thin hookup wire to the center of the foil and then attached the other end to the positive lead of a small capacitor. I then attached a wire to the negative end of the capacitor, ran it out the window and attached it to a short piece of iron re-bar that I had pounded into the ground. Much to my surprise, the capacitor started filling. It didn't fill very fast until I put a diode in line with the positive lead. (apparently cosmic energy is AC)

I metered it every 4 to 6 hours and found that it actually filled a bit faster during the night. After about a week, I did some ruff calculations and came to the conclusion that at the rate of charge, it would take about 22 to 25 years to charge 1 AA battery. :lol:

Now 22 to 25 years might seem like a long time to store enough power to light a small LED flash light, but tin foil isn't all that conductive and my setup was way crude!!!

It is an easy experiment I encourage anybody out there to try it and post your results. Some time in the new year I am going to fly a tin-foil kite to see if the current is stronger at altitude. :D

Anyway, the point being is this. There is plenty of energy out there that we just don't know how to harvest yet.

So back to the regenerative motor concept. Consider the simple bi-filer coil. If you pulse current through one set of leads, the primary coil, then a voltage can be harvested from the second set of leads, the secondary coil. The question, as obvious as it is, becomes, how does one the harvest the back EMF from the secondary coil without creating a load on the primary coil which would "slow the motor."

From my cursory experimentation i have found that it might be possible to fill a bank of small capacitors, by quickly switching amongst them, in between the square wave of the controller, (assuming a square wave controller) to fill a larger set of capacitor that can either fill back into the bms or a battery or be used as the primary source of power via a larger capacitor bank to put the motor into motion before the battery pack kicks in. Wouldn't it be nice to always have a set of caps quickly get you moving before you use battery power?

Anyway, that is my crude thoughts at the moment. :D

Why bother converting the moving kinetic energy of rider and bike to electrical energy for use later on?

A bike and rider at 20kph on 28c tyres at 90psi is over 98.5% efficient on rolling kinetic terms.

Pulling it up into an alternator is 90% at best, the battery is 98% then say 83% back out to the motor.

Unless you are rolling downhill with lots of stoplights then regen can't compete. Tyre choice and pressure is mathematically more significant.

e-beach said:
But here is the thing, and please let me be perfectly clear....I am not looking for free anything! Only looking to harvest what is already there.
That's the thing-- if you harvest it to move it to another place, it is no longer in the place you harvested it *from*. If you take it from the motor's rotation (BEMF or otherwise), it's not in the motor anymore, and the motor will slow down.

The only way i can think of that you could take any energy from the motor without slowing it is to take the waste heat away from the motor and use that to do whatever you want. Such as putting Peltier junctions within the motor, and tapping the voltage across them. While they are very inefficient, at least taht would not cause the motor to slow down by taking that energy away.

So I hung an 18" x 5' piece of tin foil from a book shelf in a second story bedroom where I live. The foil hung about 10 inches away from a window of about the same size. The window has a venetian blind in it that blocks the sun most of the time. I soldered a thin hookup wire to the center of the foil and then attached the other end to the positive lead of a small capacitor. I then attached a wire to the negative end of the capacitor, ran it out the window and attached it to a short piece of iron re-bar that I had pounded into the ground. Much to my surprise, the capacitor started filling. It didn't fill very fast until I put a diode in line with the positive lead. (apparently cosmic energy is AC)
Almost certainly, what you're picking up is not "cosmic energy", but rather just radio waves--stray RF that is everywhere nowadays, because of power lines, radio stations, tv stations, and the bajillion devices we ahve that transmit radio power. All of those things would be AC power. You can make the receiver more efficient if you use separate frequency-tuned antennas, like the old common roof antennas for tv before satellite and cable became so common. Find out what the highest power frequency bands are in your area, then build antennas suited to each one. Then use a half or full-bridge rectifier rather than a single diode, and use (IIRC) germanium ones as they have the lowest voltage drop, and you will harvest (probably) more energy than with the single diode (whcih basically rejects half of the energy coming in).

Hook up a piezo speaker or headphone earbud (because it's high resistance and doesnt' need much current, so should be louder than a coil-type speaker in this case) to that instead of a battery and you'll probably hear some of the radio noise that is from AM transmissions.

Some of that radio noise is actually "cosmic" in origin, such as that generated by the sun's magnetic field interactions, and that of Jupiter, Saturn, and even Earth itself. (and other stars and whatnot)--but that energy is pretty faint compared to all the RF junk we generate ourselves. :)

Many people have accidentally "discovered" this source of energy, and come up with various ways to harvest it, but they ultimately come down to still requiring an external source of energy to harvest, and it is one with a fairly low energy density.

If you take a fluorescent tube light, not connected to anything, you can make it light up by holding teh tube and walking under some power lines, especially near a substation. This is another source of "free power" but really you are tapping the field off the wires, and the power company frowns upon that, because it takes energy from their system--sure, its' nto much, but that's the source of the energy to light the bulb.

It may also be a bit of energy from the earth's magnetic field itself, which is different from daytime to nighttime, as it si more compressed by particle radiation from the sun during the day. Depends on exactly what the foil is doing and probably even how it is aligned. But that would be a DC component, and would require the field lines move to be cut by the foil in order to generate a current, so I expect you would see more of this component during the twilight and dawn hours as the local field is pushed around more, and probably not very much (if any) unless you are either near the magnetic poles, or one of the various magnetic anomalies where field polarity is reversed from normal.

It is an easy experiment I encourage anybody out there to try it and post your results. Some time in the new year I am going to fly a tin-foil kite to see if the current is stronger at altitude. :D
I suspect you will find it is weaker the farther away from a city you are.

Anyway, the point being is this. There is plenty of energy out there that we just don't know how to harvest yet.
Probably true--the question becomes, "how do you harvest it in a way that is cost-effective, useful, or worth it in whatever other terms you choose?". :)

So back to the regenerative motor concept. Consider the simple bi-filer coil. If you pulse current through one set of leads, the primary coil, then a voltage can be harvested from the second set of leads, the secondary coil. The question, as obvious as it is, becomes, how does one the harvest the back EMF from the secondary coil without creating a load on the primary coil which would "slow the motor."

If you transfer energy from one winding into another, you lose some of that energy. If the process could be 100% efficient, it still wouldn't do what you want, because anythign that takes energy from the motor's rotation, will slow it down. (the BEMF is specifically created by the motor's rotation, thus anythign taht takes energy from teh BEMF takes it from the motor's rotation, slowing it down).

It is less efficient to steal energy from the motor (because you now have to convert that energy back into the battery, with losses) than to simply have a larger or more efficient battery.

You can always take energy from the motor, but to maintain it's speed you then have to put more back in. To do that, you now lose a little more than before because the energy being put back in goes thru the conversion of battery thru wires thru controller thru wires into motor, all of which stages lose a little energy. Better just to leave it in the motor until you need to slow the motor down.

If the slowing is imperceptible, then the energy removed is simply very low. Either way, it's still doing it. (despite many websites and YT vids that purport to say otherwise, but can never seem to make it work when people with measuring instruments are around,

From my cursory experimentation i have found that it might be possible to fill a bank of small capacitors, by quickly switching amongst them, in between the square wave of the controller, (assuming a square wave controller) to fill a larger set of capacitor that can either fill back into the bms or a battery or be used as the primary source of power via a larger capacitor bank to put the motor into motion before the battery pack kicks in. Wouldn't it be nice to always have a set of caps quickly get you moving before you use battery power?

While this might theoretically work, it still uses energy taken out of the battery in the first place, then converted up to several times, with losses at each stage, so that essentially you are throwing away a lot of energy. Possibly more than half of what you harvested. It is more efficient to take it directly from the battery and leave it in the system.

Also, the caps are going to be very much larger than a battery, for the same Wh, and only a small percentage of the energy in them can ever be used, unless you add an inefficient DC-DC converter wiith a very high voltage input range. They're not worth using on something that has to be small and light and move around, like a bike or a car. Might be fine for a stationary application.

If you have a controller on an ebike it has a certain voltage range it is useful in. Let's be generous and say you have a 48V nominal system, and the controller uses a 24V LVC (to protect it's own electronics, rather than the battery), and the battery has a generous nominal range of 44-56V from LVC to HVC. This would let you use a bit more than half the energy from the caps, perhaps, but it is also optimistic, and assumes you don't need speed from the voltage on the caps, or htat the motor will ever get faster than what 24V would drive it to, before the caps run out and battery kicks in.

Then there's the problem that the capacitor takes a lot of energy to fill it up to that 24V, and *none* of that energy can be put back into the system. It's wasted, because the controller will shut off to protect itself at that voltage. It can't be put into the battery either, becuase the voltage is too low. You can add a DC-DC that still runs from a very low voltage (say, 2-3V) to upconvert that to a voltage still usable by the controller and/or battery, but you may lose 20-50% or more of the energy in the conversion.

You run into a the same problem with the small bank of caps taht is charging the larger cap--once the larger cap has reached the same voltage of the smaller caps, nothing happens anymore. You would have to again need a DC-DC to upconvert the voltage, and lose more energy. It would be better to leave out that entire stage, but it still wont' help the system be efficient. Just less inefficient. :)

The size of the capacitor is also a problem. As you go up in voltage, you go down in capacity, for the same size, and to get one that is high enough capacity to be useful in the very-high-energy moments of ebike startup or acceleration (the part you're talking about where it would be used before hte battery kicks in, I presume), it would have to be larger than your battery pack.

For just a few seconds runtime, if even that.

So while you can certainly build what you're talking about, it isn't going to do what you want, unless what you're after is to reduce the effficiency of the system as a whole, make it use more energy, and make it weigh more and be physically larger. :(

I would love to be proven wrong, but AFAIUI, that's simply how these things work.

Samd said:
Why bother converting the moving kinetic energy of rider and bike to electrical energy for use later on?
For the fun of the challenge. :lol:

e-beach said:

Interesting. While it seems this discussion is about generating possible future motive/ kinetic power (unlikely), electricity's primary strength in any vehicle goes somewhat unnoticed.
Light is more "powerful" than motive use, because light travels faster than the motor.
(1) light, followed by (2) communication, gained through generation or regeneration, is more helpful than not, regardless of how energy is harvested.

The only real example I have is this Grundig radio, which, after the batteries are exhausted, can still give me light and tunes just by cranking it. The light comes first, and it outlasts the radio (speaker/motor). The speaker/radio is an amplifier/motor in the first place. The speaker is essentially a motor, as I have been told.

Will it move the vehicle? No. Will it communicate? Yes.

Attachments

• CIMG0950.JPG
    CIMG0950.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 4,263
You mean like the toroidal "free energy" machine?

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&ie=UTF-8#hl=en&safe=off&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&q=toroidal%20free%20energy&oq=&gs_l=&pbx=1&fp=bd2da616f4d74c7f&bpcl=38093640&ion=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&biw=958&bih=560

e-beach said:
Samd said:
For the fun of the challenge. :lol:

Here's a fun challenge then:

Heat water to a boil with battery power. Use Peltier heat exchanges to freeze it and recover the energy back into the batteries. Figure out how much of the charge you have recovered. Compare your losses to the losses of your regenerative motor. Then use a shovel to move as much of a pile of dirt 3 feet over and see how close to the original height it is. They're trying to tell you that's what you're discussing doing. This is an experiment in creating undesired losses.

http://www.metacafe.com/fplayer/1167872/alternative_electricity_energy_power_from_peltier.swf

[youtube]eB5I7kjQlC8[/youtube]

Multiplying three percentages of about 90 percent to get a percentage over 98.5 is neither fun or challenging, its just futile.

Its important to keep an open mind about things. But not so open that your brain falls out. If you need to tinker with preserving the kinetic energy of a moving body perhaps give flywheel storage a go.

amberwolf said:
If you take it from the motor's rotation (BEMF or otherwise), it's not in the motor anymore, and the motor will slow down.

Warming my brain up here...perhaps a Peltier hat! :lol:

Peltier mats on either side of the motor might be fun to try. Especially on those hot summer days. Probably wouldn't get much wattage but it would be a fun experiment.

Ok, help me here and please forgive the rudimentary nature of my post, but I haven't thought about this kind of stuff in a couple of years.

When a coil has a current flowing through it, a magnetic field is created. If the current is quickly stopped the collapse of the magnetic field causes a current spike, a pulse. That pulse doesn't stay in the motor it just dissipates. So where does it go? Because I want it. :D

As for the radiant energy story, that is what I want to do to a hub motor. Use it for wireless transfer of energy. 1/16 of an inch distance will do. Especially if the amps are there for use.

Almost certainly, what you're picking up is not "cosmic energy", but rather just radio waves--
This was just a cheap and easy experiment in regards to Tesla"s radiant energy theory. When Tesla got his patent for his for "Apparatus for the utilization of radiant energy on Nov. 5th 1901" (patent # 685,957) there were not many radio stations around. I am not sure there was even one. Could I have been picking up something more then Tesla's cosmic energy? We will never really know as Tesla is long gone. But the energy remains.

In fact, I wanted to test for radio waves by flying a large tin foil box kite both at the beach and then in the desert away from the city, to measure the difference but I got side tracked.
You can make the receiver more efficient if you use separate frequency-tuned antennas, like the old common roof antennas for tv before satellite and cable became so common. Find out what the highest power frequency bands are in your area, then build antennas suited to each one. Then use a half or full-bridge rectifier rather than a single diode, and use (IIRC) germanium ones as they have the lowest voltage drop, and you will harvest (probably) more energy than with the single diode (whcih basically rejects half of the energy coming in).
BTW, I did use a full bridge rectifier from 4 diodes I built to get the best reception/efficiency of energy transference. I had forgotten I had done that. :oops: Thanks for reminding me. And, yes a full bridge rectifier works way better then a single diode. That is how I realized that cosmic energy was ac.
Hook up a piezo speaker or headphone earbud (because it's high resistance and doesnt' need much current, so should be louder than a coil-type speaker in this case) to that instead of a battery and you'll probably hear some of the radio noise that is from AM transmissions.
Tuning in or out the radio transmissions? Gotta think about that one.

I never tried to align mine because I needed to hang in one place to read the cap every 24 hours. It was a weak energy, but it is there. Tesla claimed it was greater at altitude so I want to fly a "tinfoil kite." Of course helium balloons might be necessary if the kit is heavy. Gold foil would probably have better conductance, but you know how that goes. :lol:

Probably true--the question becomes, "how do you harvest it in a way that is cost-effective, useful, or worth it in whatever other terms you choose?". :)
Experiments.
If you transfer energy from one winding into another, you lose some of that energy. If the process could be 100% efficient, it still wouldn't do what you want, because anythign that takes energy from the motor's rotation, will slow it down. (the BEMF is specifically created by the motor's rotation, thus anythign taht takes energy from teh BEMF takes it from the motor's rotation, slowing it down).

OK, I was thinking of isolating the BEMF via dual Tesla coil type of radiant energy setup. Not really a isolation transformer but something along that line. As far as I can tell when energy is being "radiated" for lack of a better term, a limited amount of current is available for harvest, but the amp draw on the power source isn't affected. The radiant energy only becomes weaker as more load current is drawn from the available radiant energy. In other words, when a Tesla coil is radiating energy, a number of say, florescent bulbs will be able to be lit by it, depending on the coil setup. The more you add the weaker the light from the bulbs, but the amp draw of the coils power sourse stays the same. So if a radiant energy buffer could be used with bifiler coils and isolate the BEMF via the radiant energy, then the motor would feel no load from use of the radiant energy. It would solve the load issue part of slowing the motor down. Producing usable amps would be the next step.

amberwolf said:
While this might theoretically work,...
You mean I almost got something right here? :lol:
amberwolf said:
.... it still uses energy taken out of the battery in the first place, then converted up to several times, with losses at each stage, so that essentially you are throwing away a lot of energy. Possibly more than half of what you harvested. It is more efficient to take it directly from the battery and leave it in the system. Also, the caps are going to be very much larger than a battery, for the same Wh, and only a small percentage of the energy in them can ever be used, unless you add an inefficient DC-DC converter wiith a very high voltage input range. They're not worth using on something that has to be small and light and move around, like a bike or a car. Might be fine for a stationary application. If you have a controller on an ebike it has a certain voltage range it is useful in. Let's be generous and say you have a 48V nominal system, and the controller uses a 24V LVC (to protect it's own electronics, rather than the battery), and the battery has a generous nominal range of 44-56V from LVC to HVC. This would let you use a bit more than half the energy from the caps, perhaps, but it is also optimistic, and assumes you don't need speed from the voltage on the caps, or htat the motor will ever get faster than what 24V would drive it to, before the caps run out and battery kicks in. Then there's the problem that the capacitor takes a lot of energy to fill it up to that 24V, and *none* of that energy can be put back into the system. It's wasted, because the controller will shut off to protect itself at that voltage. It can't be put into the battery either, becuase the voltage is too low. You can add a DC-DC that still runs from a very low voltage (say, 2-3V) to upconvert that to a voltage still usable by the controller and/or battery, but you may lose 20-50% or more of the energy in the conversion.

I was thinking along the lines of having pre charged caps that can run down to a lvc over time but being topped off by the smaller quick switching caps as the bike rolled. Caps for start-up until a desired speed is reached then battery cut-in. Or a second set of batteries isolated from the first that could be switched back and forth until lvc on both. First use the first set, at lvc switch to the second set while the first set gets some charging. etc

You run into a the same problem with the small bank of caps taht is charging the larger cap--once the larger cap has reached the same voltage of the smaller caps, nothing happens anymore. You would have to again need a DC-DC to upconvert the voltage, and lose more energy. It would be better to leave out that entire stage, but it still wont' help the system be efficient. Just less inefficient. :)

The size of the capacitor is also a problem. As you go up in voltage, you go down in capacity, for the same size, and to get one that is high enough capacity to be useful in the very-high-energy moments of ebike startup or acceleration (the part you're talking about where it would be used before hte battery kicks in, I presume), it would have to be larger than your battery pack.

For just a few seconds runtime, if even that.

So while you can certainly build what you're talking about, it isn't going to do what you want, unless what you're after is to reduce the effficiency of the system as a whole, make it use more energy, and make it weigh more and be physically larger. :(

I would love to be proven wrong, but AFAIUI, that's simply how these things work.

cal3thousand said:
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&ie=UTF-8#hl=en&safe=off&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&q=toroidal%20free%20energy&oq=&gs_l=&pbx=1&fp=bd2da616f4d74c7f&bpcl=38093640&ion=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&biw=958&bih=560

Well, not like that exactly...But, that one should be easily reproduced it is so simple. Has anyone made another one of those? :D

Samd said:
If you need to tinker with preserving the kinetic energy of a moving body perhaps give flywheel storage a go.
Seems like it would be a bit heavy for a bicycle... :D

Edited to add an apology if I sound gripey. It's just tough to explain something in the best terms I know, and feel like I'm not being understood. :( Cuz usually I'm really good at that. So I feel frustrated. :oops:

(and I've had these conversations before, with others...and they rarely end well)

e-beach said:
When a coil has a current flowing through it, a magnetic field is created. If the current is quickly stopped the collapse of the magnetic field causes a current spike, a pulse. That pulse doesn't stay in the motor it just dissipates. So where does it go? Because I want it. :D
If I understand correctly the event you mean, it doesnt' "dissipate", it flows thru the motor, controller, FETs, battery, completing a path. If you take it away, then you take energy from the rotation of the motor, and the motor slows down.

That will happen with any energy you take out of the motor--it will simply mean you have to put *more* energy than you took out back in, just to get back to the same point you started at.

As for the radiant energy story, that is what I want to do to a hub motor. Use it for wireless transfer of energy. 1/16 of an inch distance will do. Especially if the amps are there for use.
No, they're not--that's the whole point. (in reference to the magnetic field of the motor)

If you take motion energy out of a moving system, the system slows down. That includes any kind of electrical energy out of an electrical system. To make it maintain the speed, you must put *more* energy back in than you took out, because of the losses involved in putting the energy in in the first place, just to get back to where you started.

It's a net loss, and is futile.

Yes, you can take the energy out, using a number of ways.

Yes, you can charge the battery with it.

By doing this, you reduce the amount of total power you have available, and reduce your range, and reduce the charge on the battery.

You can't get energy for free, which is what you are trying to do (if you pull energy from the magnetic fields of the motor, for instance), whether you realize it or not.

Could I have been picking up something more then Tesla's cosmic energy? We will never really know as Tesla is long gone. But the energy remains.
I would bet that you were picking up mostly manmade RF, with possibly some stuff from outside the atmosphere (but overwhelmingly the manmade stuff is so much stronger it would swamp out the effects of anything else, at least in a city).

What he was picking up was almost certainly the planetary version of the same thing. There is no way to know for certain what either of you received; Tesla didn't have the instrumentation to do the experiment in a controlled fashion to find out where it came from. (the knowledge of what that kind of energy even *was* didn't exist yet).

You could do it in such a fashion but the instrumentation might be fairly complex and probably not cheap, and I'm not totally certain how you could really isolate each type unless you built an isolation (faraday) cage to prevent all RF from coming in, and then simply try different things until the readings matched what you saw. If you had detailed knowledge of RF, EMF and other things like that, you might be able to recognize what was being recieved outside the cage when monitored via various kinds of test instruments (spectrum analyzers, oscilloscopes, etc). Otherwise you would probably need some expert help in that regard (not me--I'm definitely an amateur :)).

Tesla claimed it was greater at altitude so I want to fly a "tinfoil kite."
Then he was probably picking up either charged particles that escaped the magnetic field of earth, or radio noiise (RF) from the sun and other planets like Jupiter and Saturn (as well as the rest of the universe). We'll never really know, though.

OK, I was thinking of isolating the BEMF via dual Tesla coil type of radiant energy setup. Not really a isolation transformer but something along that line. As far as I can tell when energy is being "radiated" for lack of a better term, a limited amount of current is available for harvest, but the amp draw on the power source isn't affected.
Nothing is available for harvest from the magnetic fields in the motor without losing energy from the source. It doesnt' matter how you isolate things, it still takes energy from the motor.

Now, if you were to go well outside the motor casing, and pick up RF or audio or heat energy and convert *that* back into battery power, it would be unlikely to affect the motor. That energy *has* been radiated away already, and is no longer part of the system, so it is already "wasted".

But if you harvest something from the field itself, you take energy from the field and that takes energy from the motor, which slows it down....

The radiant energy only becomes weaker as more load current is drawn from the available radiant energy. In other words, when a Tesla coil is radiating energy, a number of say, florescent bulbs will be able to be lit by it, depending on the coil setup. The more you add the weaker the light from the bulbs, but the amp draw of the coils power sourse stays the same. So if a radiant energy buffer could be used with bifiler coils and isolate the BEMF via the radiant energy, then the motor would feel no load from use of the radiant energy. It would solve the load issue part of slowing the motor down. Producing usable amps would be the next step.
The difference is that a Tesla coil (in the described application) is not doing any other intended work besides radiating the energy to be used by things. So it doesn't matter if you tap into it.

If you tap into the energy from the field of something that is already doing work with that field, you're taking away some of the ability to do that work.

I was thinking along the lines of having pre charged caps that can run down to a lvc over time but being topped off by the smaller quick switching caps as the bike rolled. Caps for start-up until a desired speed is reached then battery cut-in. Or a second set of batteries isolated from the first that could be switched back and forth until lvc on both. First use the first set, at lvc switch to the second set while the first set gets some charging. etc
Where does the energy to charge the caps come from? The battery? Then you are still "wasting" battery energy to do it. Plus there is always leakage in the caps and other electronics, which still wastes more energy (which all ultimately comes from the battery).

If you use a second set of batteries, you'd be better off to leave them in parallel with the first set so they are always engaged all the time, becuause that lessens the strain on *all* the batteries, and reduces the Peukert effect on all of them, and enables you to use more of the energy that already resides in them.

It also doesn't address the fact that caps will be much larger than the batteries for the same useful Wh. Do some calculations on how big your caps have to be for just the Wh needed to get your existing bike up to say, 10MPH, based on how many Wh it takes your batteries to get you there. You might be surprised. :)

Do the experiment--go find a bunch of big caps, charge them up, and see how far you get on them. If you dont' find any that are high enough voltage, you can series some lower voltage ones, but remember that their capacitance is cut proportionally when you do this. (two 1000uF caps in series is 500uF, while two in parallel is 2000uF). In my one test experience, even a box of caps the size of soda can don't run a motor even without a load for very long. (yes, I've thought about it, too, since I couldnt' afford good batteries and was just starting out--I think there is a post about it on my old Electricle blog).

The cap thing has been discussed to death before, and the reason you don't see it done is because it's not practical. There are marketspeak battery packs taht call themselves supercap packs, but they dont' actually have caps in them to do anything--it's just a lie.

amberwolf said:
Edited to add an apology if I sound gripey. It's just tough to explain something in the best terms I know, and feel like I'm not being understood. :( Cuz usually I'm really good at that. So I feel frustrated. :oops:
(and I've had these conversations before, with others...and they rarely end well)

If you want to get gripey with me, you go right ahead! I appreciate your time and effort to help me out. As far as I know you are a good man!!!! That's my experience with you anyway. I get gripey sometimes also, everybody does. It's human. Especially if you feel like you are talking to a rock. :D

I guess it is good that I didn't ask you a question like: If your were going to design a dd hub motor with bifiler coils, how would you isolate the secondary coils to have no load on the motor? :D

Dauntless said:
Here's a fun challenge then:

Heat water to a boil with battery power. Use Peltier heat exchanges to freeze it and recover the energy back into the batteries. Figure out how much of the charge you have recovered. Compare your losses to the losses of your regenerative motor. Then use a shovel to move as much of a pile of dirt 3 feet over and see how close to the original height it is.

Not the challenge that I want to work on. Except maybe the digging the dirt part. Only I will be digging for something valuable Vis-a-vis my metal detector.

Thanks for creatively explaining to me that you think that I am wasting my time and money. :D

cal3thousand said:

OK, call me "lighting" but this the first time I have heard of this. Don't know where I have been....maybe I gota get out... :oops:

On the other hand, his first patent doesn't look all that hard to reproduce, to try to replicate it that is. Two metals dissimilar enough to let magnetic flux flow with less resistance in one then another. Might be worth the drudgery of winding coils to try it out.

His other patent, WO2008067649 IMPROVED POWER DEVICE intrigues me because it seems to lessen the load on motor. kinda like my imposable regenerative motor dream. So here's to what Heins calls "regenerative acceleration." and digging three foot holes to measure the difference. :D

John in CR said:
AW,
Too bad there's not a way for you send the thread to overunity.com where it belongs.
I for one never said I was looking to go over unity. I am only looking for efficiency. :D

Thats not so.
You inferred you weren't chasing overunity quite a bit earlier, then went on to state a number of logical fallacies that breached your statement.

So I tried to spell out the simple equations of motion and the flaws in converting the energy, and you wrote me off with anyone else who tried to state the obvious. We weren't being negative, we were being realistic.

You thought I was taking the mickey with the flywheel comments? It's certainly more practical and just as an expensive waste of time as what you propose above...
http://www.gizmag.com/flywheel-bicycle-regenerative-braking/19532/

The equations of what you are trying to do are well known. And impossible to solve for an efficiency outcome greater than that which already exists....

Back