Charge station planning

emiyata

100 W
I am building a 1kw charge station this summer. I have all the cells to make this work. I can have the low iron glass cut at work and they have the outside fame. I will build the array of cells and build the charge controller(s). The panels will be very hard to take apart to reconfigure them. I will need to select the voltage for charging wisely. My plan is to put taps in place so I can select different voltages if needed. I could use the charge controller to set the charge voltage and skip the tap idea. The plan for panels are 24v panels (not ocv voltage). The batteries that I will charge are 18v drill packs, 48v (bike battery) batteries maybe a freezer at 24v in time . If I use the taps I would bring out 12v and 18v. I can build 12v panels and bring out wire pairs at 6v.
I am posting this because I need more ideas so I can weigh my options. Remember this is a charge station I am not powering the house from batteries using the large inverter many systems need . If I need 120 vac I will connect a small inverter to run that one task.

I used a commercial 240w panel that dumps into 240AH of sealed lead acid batteries with a 1.8kw inverter. Granted I use the setup to power all my power tools in my shed but it also charges two 36v ebike batteries and soon my 72v ebike battery.

Back