How to charge 5 or 6 12V batteries with 2 solar panels?

Onvolts

1 µW
Hello,

I could use some help with the following. We have an electric 3-wheel vehicle that runs on 48V. The acceleration is too low, and for a stronger hub motor we need to go to 60 or 72v. The batteries are lead acid, so five or six of them. We have 2 solar panels (i will post the details later) that can charge the 48v system we have now. Most of the product are for 48V max systems...

My question is: 1)how can we charge a 60V or 72V battery with only 2 panels? or 2) How can we charge multiple (so 5 or 6) 12V batteries in a balanced way?

Hope to hear something soon, and thanks for the effort!

kind regards, Tim

72 cell panels puts the maximum power transfer into the 30V range i think.
If your charging 4 matched say 24ah SLA's series/parallel ok, 6 could pull your panel curve into the short circuit amps area and panel volts take a dive, best getting an MPPT contoller then, they try to keep the panel output in the maximum power out band.
First panels are best matched for load, eg a 200W mono might be pumping around 6-7A at mppt, on a really good day, straight on to the sun. Have to keep moving panel for tracking :?
I'm trying to remember SLA nominal charging rates, i think if you use less ah, your making you batts last longer, now you got more power, say stick to 55% to 95% charged close to 0.1C rate,
So a good days sun hours minus some losses should get a 6 matched 24Ah golf carts up to charge over a good sunny day and trickling later on, assuming blocking diodes, charged for the morning.
There are proper solar battery chargers too, designed to do step charging. Happy travels.

The batteries are 12v200ah lead acid. With 1 or more MPPT controllers I could charge 5 or 6 of these batteries? Any suggestions which one?

200Ah, huge :shock:
Can you tell us what solar panels you are to use?

Back