Aquaponic Green House

Harold in CR

100 kW
Been busy every waking spare minute, constructing a fish based green house for growing all our fresh veggies and some fish. The plan as simple. Implementing it, not so much. :roll:

With little funding, I have gotten to the stage of seeds being planted and plants needing care.

Some photos are included for those interested. ANY comments are welcome.

greenhouse1.jpg

greenhouse2.jpg

greenhouse3.jpg

greenhouse4.jpg

greenhouse5.jpg

greenhouse6.jpg

View attachment 2

greenhouse8.jpg

greenhouse9.jpg

This is something I hope to do one day. Looks adequate, off to a good start. Are you planning on catching rain water for this operation? Other than fish, what exactly do you plan on growing? Are you using any kind of electronics? I've seen videos involving a lot of automation in aquaponics.
How are you going to modulate the PH of the water?

Any kind of veggies that produce above ground will be tried. Right now, I have English peas, Bush Blue Lake String beans, all in that half barrel. I have 2 cuke plants in that half barrel, and 1 in a separate grow pot. ALL this is experimental. I have sweet potato just starting to grow slips, and 6 pieces of potato in cups with holes, and they are growing sprouts. Eventually these will be planted in piles of decomposing grass as I cut the fields.

I have large tomatos and Roma's started and I just transplanted several thinnings. I have a few cabbage and a few Brussel sprout plants that I am currently transplanting or transferring to plastic cups with drain holes.

I have a mess of Bibb lettuce plants that need thinning. All these except potato types will be dirt free. Just clay balls that we are making as fast as we can, and real small rocks I sorted out of my concrete rock material pile. The clay balls are from material I dug from the farm, and we made up the balls, then sun dried them, then Fired them in an open fire, so they don't disintegrate from being soaked in water. You can see the small pot of clay balls in the one photo.

In the states, you can buy Hydroton, clay balls, but, they are heavy to ship and don't exist here, so, we make them. As I watch youtube videos of Aquaponics and fish farming, at night, I am rolling out more clay balls, while the wife does the same.

I will use IBC containers, the square ones with the metal cage built around them, as the fish tanks. They are about $100.00 each here, so, that's on hold. I DO have a larger than normal plastic closed top barrel that my wife may bring back from San Jose next week, on the bus. That will be the experimental fish tank.

I have 2-- 12V bilge pumps and 1--12V boat wash down pump, for moving the water around. I'm not ready for them yet, so, I might make up a 40 Gallon barrel for about 6 Tilapia I will get from a neighbor, and experiment with keeping them alive. I need to condition the water, and I have a swimming pool kit to check water conditions. I have bookmarked several website that describe how to check all the water properties. It's a LOT of work in the beginning, and, I had a couple setbacks funding wise, so, I am late getting this working. Yes, I will try to collect rain water to top[ off the fish tank. I will need to construct a filter to catch all the food the fish don't eat, so the pumps don't get clogged, and later, I want to try putting prawns into the fish tank, or, another tank, so they will eat everything the fish don't or that they produce that doesn't break down.

I want to get some duckweed and Hydrilla plants so that will help to feed the Tilapia.

A single rabbit can generate a surprising amount of heat, and the fish will eat the rabbit manure. You would have to line the floor with chicken wire to keep the rabbit from digging out.

Hmmmmmm

Interesting info. 1 problem though, My wife would find a way to start producing rabbits and we would end up with 10,000 of 'em. We already have a fricken chicken factory going. :roll: :roll: :lol:

Sounds like the start of a kick ass farm. Chickens, fish, vegetables, maybe even rabbits? If you could, you might even consider goats, goat meat is tasty and the milk is great too. Go with all that and you might be able to make a serious profit in farming.
I think plenty of people have this dream where their home is self sustaining, they easily run a small farm and sell off the excess, live off the fat of the land. Fresh, untainted food tastes so much better.

Problem here is, I can't kill any of the animals to eat. Wife keeps them alive until they fall over. Can't even use 'en for Dog food.

I'm surprised she lets me kill the veggies.

NO WAY am I having rabbits or goats or cows. Might have a couple pigs to eat any over ripe veggies, though. Those I could trade to the local butcher for so much packaged meat.

Great. I can't wait to hear that you keep the leaf eating stuff out. I still don't understand how the bees will find the tomato and cucumber flowers. Nothing like an early picked cucumber so you can eat skin an all.

Is solar and/or wind power running those pumps?...a real shame if not with all those cells and EVA...and no ebike. LOL!

Way cool man, can't wait to see how this turns out. Keep us posted :)

a real shame if not with all those cells and EVA

Not a shame, more like Pathetic. :oops: :oops: Actually, right now, I am running 1 bilge pump with 1--1S 3P battery pack, so, that's very little juice needed. Only runs for 10-15 seconds twice a day.

I'm inching closer to debt free, again, though. Then, I can get SERIOUS with the wind charger project.

Had an offer of Golf Car type batteries, but, had to decline because of the fundsalow. I have a BIG Spanish Cedar I need to try to sell the lumber from. Need to get it dropped bucked and skidded up the hill, first. :roll: :roll:

Life just isn't getting any easier. :roll: :lol: :lol:

Back