Costa Rica Redneck Field Chopper

Harold in CR

100 kW
I have waited for a long time to buy an RC motor, capable of running a decent sized field chopper. I have tried several times to repair 2 motors that were not strong enough to do the job, and burned the windings.

Enter the Redneck Field Chopper project. Had a sheet of 3/32 steel and had a couple of wooden wheels I turned for a bandsaw project that never got completed. Did some calcs, welded up a frame body, installed a stub axle with 2 flange bearings. Turned a round steel bar with a side grinder and drill press. Center drilled it with the drill press, then, dressed it to near balanced. Turned a nose block out of wood for the stub axle. Bent up a conduit handle and added extensions from some scrap wood and metal pipe.

Calculated and cut openings in the frame body for motor shaft and mounting- adjustment bolts. Turned a pulley from hardwood, because they don't sell pulleys here with a center hole. :roll: :roll:

Mounted the motor, duct taped :lol: a couple wads of laptop batteries (36V) to the frame body, and went to chopping.

Here is what I was chopping, after waiting for so long.

Weedwhacker3.jpg

Weedwhacker4.jpg

Weedwhacker5.jpg

For reference, that is our female Lab in the last photo. She wouldn't pose for the photo.

And here is the Field Chopper with battery pack, showing 90% charge. I run it down to 30% and charge it back up to 90%. There is another pack under the one showing. All around, I would guess 700 or so Whrs total, maybe less. Runs about 30 minutes cutting that high crap. Batteries don't get warm, but, the motor does. It's time to charge before the motor needs cooling, so, works out just right.

Weedwhacker1.jpg

Weedwhacker2.jpg

Need to do some minor addons and build a battery box, and try to find a couple swivel wheels for the front, so the blade doesn't dig into the dirt, occasionally. The motor is a brushed treadmill motor, 90V, 2.25Hp, but, run at less than half voltage . that I run on 36V for now. need to go higher, so the blade throws the grass away from the stub shaft, so it doesn't wrap.

Once this mess is cut down, it will be MUCH easier to maintain the tree farm, cutting 6-8" stuff, rather than 2'+ weeds and viney grasses.

Back