Source for dual terminal blocks

torker

100 kW
I just installed a 130 watt solar panel for my outside and garage lights. My charge controller/lighting controller only has a single set of terminals for lights/loads. I have looked at local auto parts,radshak,and Grainger for terminal blocks with dual polarity blocks. I hate to have to order online just for one, maybe 2 . I want to come off the controller to a block to run several "circuits". Anyone have any better ideas for this? This is what I may order.http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Gang-Dual...d=100005&prg=1088&rk=1&rkt=5&sd=120870307344&

I used the copper plated metal straps you use to hold up copper plumbing pipe. Multiple layers lining up the holes. I used it as buss bars in a thundersky battery pack. I know it's not the best, but it was cheap and easy to find.

df4c96b9.jpg

4NCD4_AS01.JPG

Great idea. I have a chunk of busbar from an ac panel. Time to do some fabbing . Could tap some screw holes or take the easy way out with small selftappers. :p

Here is what I found for 8 dollars.. And what I did.. :D Copper does not thread easily.. But it works and cheap..

Attachments

• block.jpg
    block.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 1,440
  • bussbar.jpg
    bussbar.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 1,440
I have a another question for the elec. gurus.. If I understand I can run a earth ground to the neg. side of my system. I am not sure I can. I have never grounded a dc system. I already have a separate ground running down from the frame / strut that mounts my solar panel and I have a 8 ft. ground rod that grounds my ac panel. I planned to hook to this.

Been searching and this comment brings up ground loops. Haven't thought about this since messing with ham radio ..

Default Re: Battery grounding

Normally, the DC power are floating (positive and negative) for charge controllers, inverters, AC battery chargers and such.

Where you can get into trouble is mixing in, for example, automotive accessories such as a car stereo where the chassis of the radio is also the negative return lead.

When you have a DC negative return tied to Earth Ground in two or more places, you have parallel current paths. In some cases, the earth grounding has lower resistance than the DC wiring and you can have pretty heavy current flows in the earth ground system that you did not plan on (shielded cables for antennas, etc.).

So--In a well designed DC power system, your grounding at the negative battery bus common point to the earth ground rod is not going to create any ground loops (unless there is a short circuit somewhere).

Back