exercise bike with built in generator... Help Please

6strings

1 µW
Hi,this exercise bike generates its own power for the electronics and magnetic brake.
I want to divert the energy from the generator to a 12v battery and inverter.

20140223_132237_zps2fa0d563.jpg

There is a black red and white wire coming from the generator.

20140223_132634_zps2ad7a741.jpg

Assuming I am measuring correctly it is fairly easy to get up to 100v.

20140223_134106_zps6bd9cdf7.jpg

I am kind of lost as to the specific components that I would need to make this work.
If anyone could help me out with this project I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for looking :)

Wow. That sat me down for a moment lol

I'm guessing it is 3 phase but would like to see the three slip rings or know any combination of 2 wires reads 84v. Then I would be sure enough to go on.
It's likely 3~ so you could turn too a car alternator for parts. They are also 3~ generators that rectify too DC using a diode pack of good proportions. Regulation though... I can't stop looking at that brake, but it's not practical, I just can't stop looking at it.

Whats a solar array controller do.... they must see silly open ended voltages but regulate for charging batteries. I will hand that train of thought to someone better versed I think.

friendly1uk said:
Wow. That sat me down for a moment lol
Whats a solar array controller do.... they must see silly open ended voltages but regulate for charging batteries. I will hand that train of thought to someone better versed I think.

A 12v solar charge controller will accept ~30 volts so he'd want to go to a 48v bank to accept 100v

I can't speak for the bike you have, however many exercise bikes have poor generators as far as electric energy is concerned, they are designed to create mechanical load not useful electrical power, in fact many don't even use laminate steel etc.

If I wanted an exercise bike to charge batteries and power things, I would go for the older Stair Masters, they built various steppers and bikes all use a standard automotive alternator and dump energy into a load resistor.

All you have to due is series in the battery with the load resistor.

Good luck with your endeavor.

I see red, white, and black on that plug. do you get the same voltage readings on red to white, and white to black? It should be 3 phase.

The claimed max 350watt and 1.8 amp output mean it should make 194 volts AC.

The over all problem is the design isn't built for efficiency. You can make some electricity this way, but there is going to be a lot of wasted effort. propping an ebike into a bike trainer stand and hooking the wires to a rectifier would yield far better results.

Drunkskunk said:
I see red, white, and black on that plug. do you get the same voltage readings on red to white, and white to black? It should be 3 phase.

The claimed max 350watt and 1.8 amp output mean it should make 194 volts AC.

The over all problem is the design isn't built for efficiency. You can make some electricity this way, but there is going to be a lot of wasted effort. propping an ebike into a bike trainer stand and hooking the wires to a rectifier would yield far better results.

Hi Drunkskunk, yes the three wire combinations seem to be the same voltage.

Why do you say it would not be efficient? Is it because of the type of generator itself or the fixed 1:8 gear ratio.

The only regulation method coming to mind is dumping power through resistors. So your always making more power than you need, and trimming it down to size. Very wasteful. Although typical of permanent magnet generators.

Not sure why I said solar for regs, you near enough have wind power. I expect $50 would buy the device you need to go from that 3~ output to something that charges 12v lead.

regulating it to DC is easy. Just go and buy 2 40amp bridge rectifiers like this http://compare.ebay.ca/like/251412377088?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y&lpid=33&item_id=251412377088

Connect the two in parallel,g then connect the wires you have from the motor to the posts with the sqiggley line. You will have one empty connector, but that`s ok. You should get regulated DC voltage now that you can connect right to a battery or a charge controller

Assuming you are peddling the exercise bicycle, you have some ways to control the output with your pedaling cadence. (how fast you are peddling.)

So connect (at least) the black and red wires through a large rectifier as mentioned above. Run it through a volt meter rated to take high amps....maybe something from a automobile....(sounds like a trip to the junk yard to me) .....and put the volt meter in a place you can see while pedaling. This way you can see if you are going over 14 volts that is charging your 12v battery. A voltage regulator would also help in case you are having a good day with enough energy in your legs to go over 14 volts.

:D

mettleramiel said:
regulating it to DC is easy. Just go and buy 2 40amp bridge rectifiers like this http://compare.ebay.ca/like/251412377088?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y&lpid=33&item_id=251412377088

Connect the two in parallel,g then connect the wires you have from the motor to the posts with the sqiggley line. You will have one empty connector, but that`s ok. You should get regulated DC voltage now that you can connect right to a battery or a charge controller

The diode's would rectify the power, but not regulate it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-300W-Wind-Turbines-Generator-Charge-Controller-Wind-Regulator-Rectifier-/190877013150?pt=UK_BOI_Industrial_Tools_Generators_ET&hash=item2c7128149e

$25 example there, but at 300w you couldn't do any sprints.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.
I have ordered the Regulator Rectifier suggested by friendly1uk.
I am thinking about skipping the battery as I am not sure if It could charge as fast as it could drain?
I want everything to fit in the plastic housing of the bike so a car type battery would not work.
Would I be able to go straight from the Regulator Rectifier to an invertor? or would I need a large capacitor
to smooth things out first?
Here is a Video showing the general idea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX71O449AQ0

Back