are diy solar panels still cost competitive?

veloman

10 MW
Cost wise? Manufactured panels are around $.80/watt. If you build a panel right, it seems it could even cost more.

SYlgard184 is expensive, even if you get the glass and framing for free.

I have 1kw of broken tabbed cells, and some free big glass doors, but is it worth it? Is there a cheaper encapsulation method?

John in CR and I bought a roll of EVA. It is similar to the SylGard, but, comes as a sheet. You lay it on the glass, lay the made up cell strings on that, add another layer of the EVA and use a backer, like, TYVEK, house wrap, in a single layer. This is/was less expensive, and easier to work with, I think. Neither of us has built panels, though. :roll: :lol:

Then, you build an oven out of big cardboard boxes, to fit the size of the glass panel, and make up a vacuum bag, using big trash bags, like, yard clean up type. You need some way to heat the whole package, typically, a ni-chrome wire from a scrapped electric dryer, old hot plate with exposed wire, etc. You need a fan designed to circulate the hot air, but, don't use a plastic fan blade.

The whole idea here, is to melt that EVA into one liquid state, which encapsulates the cells and connection box. The vacuum is used to squeeze out the air bubbles, so, a little tending as you heat the panel up, would be a good idea.

There is a set temperature that should be reached and held in the oven, to ensure the EVA is melted.

AS you have all the parts to construct a couple of panels, why not investigate the tutorial, over on Fieldlines.com, under the Solar board, there is a sticky of a 3 part tutorial on homemade panels.

There are discussion threads, also, and, it's looking like store bought panels, IF they are good brand, is actually a better deal, with the warranty .

Let us know if you give this a try.

Harold

about 4 years ago I did the DIY solar...

I believe now it is much cheaper to just buy panels...

I do not miss soldering the tabs..I used EVA in the past, but found coating each cell that is tabbed with epoxy to do the trick..
but honestly I do not recommend making your own panels unless you have fully worked out it will save you money and have time to kill..

I reckon diy panels are good for smaller projects.. like 50w or less.

Im wondering if I should just sell the kw of cells (still in their box from eBay) and use the glass doors for a solar thermal project. We just don't need much heat most of the yr here in Austin.

Sell them if you can, but keep some...

I actually gave a big box of 4 watt cells @ .5volt to a friend, Don't speak to him anymore
But over the last couple of years, I would of been able to use the cells for various little projects/ some fun things to do.

What about beefing up your garden lighting? or using these cells for small electrical things...
Thinking that making big panels these days is not worth it time consuming and a bit crap, but using them to make cool little projects might be worth keeping them as they can be stored for a long time.. just put them in a vacuum bag or something to stop them from oxidising

I think making some small panels is the way to go. easier and cheaper to build.

My plan is to keep an eye our for windows. It's too much work to make the frame to add to the glass, so by using an old window (that I get for free), it keeps cost down and less work. I bought a big roll of eva film. I've seen conflicting info on whether you put it between the glass and cells, or the backside, or both.

I have two big sliding glass doors I got for free, but they are too big for a pv panel. Will use them for a solar thermal project.

i used the sliding glass door insulated panels as skylights in my enclosed carport. i also found another pair of thermopanes that were 22" and would fit between the rafter so i also used them. so now i have 6 large skylights, two are 4'x6' and one large 5'x6' made up of two 32" door panels. almost 100 sq ft of skylights on the north side of the house for the enclosed carport. made all the difference in the world to have light inside the carport since it is enclosed on all sides. always in the shadow of the house, especially this far north.

I to found conflicting info on how to use the EVA correctly, best method i saw was a guy using an oven

my best advice, make small panels, figure out how to do it, then make a big one if your going to do this... you should get your own process down pat..

Another method i did, Tabbed all the cells, connect about 3 in series, and then painted the cells with slyguard.. I use a paint brush, let it dry, and the cells were a hell of alot more stronger to handle.. if you painted them with a few coats, i reckon you could then just glue them to the glass?

veloman said:
Im wondering if I should just sell the kw of cells (still in their box from eBay) and use the glass doors for a solar thermal project. We just don't need much heat most of the yr here in Austin.

But you can use solar thermal to preheat the water going to your water heater.

Or even eliminate the need for any power usage in the main wh at all, if you get enough sun and use little enough hot water, and insulate your main wh tank and pipes well enough. :)

(I'm still working on mine but I didn't pay for almost any energy to heat my water since late may or june this year, I think it was)

Back