Chinese Solar Panels and Customs

jaunty

1 W
Greetings,
I just learned a valuable lesson on trade as it relates to Chinese solar panels and importing to the US. In short, this isn't allowed. I purchased some thin film mono panels from Aliexpress which were shipped via DHL. The panels got hung up at customs and I managed to contact them. As it turns out, I need to fill out a form and here is a small excerpt from one of the several forms required by DHL/Customs.

Importer Certification (Of Non-Anti-Dumping Status)
I hereby certify that I am an official of ______________________________________________(name of company); that I
have knowledge of the facts regarding the importation of the solar panels/modules or other products containing solar
panels/modules that are seeking entry under Air Waybill # ____________________ covered by this certification; and that these
solar panel/modules do not contain solar cells produced in the People’s Republic of China.

So, I haven't resolved the issue yet, but shame on me for not being knowledgeable on this subject. I will consider myself lucky if I get my money back (a few hundred). :shock:

any advice for me? I have written the seller and asked about manufacture location, but its kind of obvious they are made in China, unless of china imports the cells and constructs the panels.

Cheers!

Aliexpress gurantees your money back if you don't get the item, even due to customs.

It is allowed to import them but there is import duty and tarriff. It looks like customs doesn't want you to pay the duty on such a small delivery so they sent you that form expecting you to sign it so they can release the items to you.

It is not obvious it was made in PRC. Could be Taiwan or any number of places.

Back