Looking for 1/4 HP 12 VDC nominal Brushless Motor

bigmoose

1 MW
I have been looking for a while for a 12 VDC brushless motor of 1/4 HP around 2000 RPM. This is for a long life, variable speed pump project. I currently have one running brushed; but would sure like to have a brushless alternative.

I have been unsuccessful in finding a motor under about a $700 price tag which is way too high for this application. Also, not enough volume to tool up a custom motor..

Any help sincerely appreciated!

have you thought about RC motors?
This one is possibly over kill, but good for ~1920RPM at 12 volts (160kv) and should run at 1/4 hp continuous (and then some)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...gy_Multistar_Brushless_Multi_Rotor_Motor.html
Lots more motors to chose from on Hobbyking. The motors listed for quads, 'coptors, or cars will probably be better than the ones for planes due to KV and cooling issues, but the plane motors might be fine.
You can use their search tool to search by KV.

Thanks DS! That one looks like it would do performance wise... was hoping to find an in runner for the safety of no moving parts accessible.

I'm assuming this is for the same application as this older thread:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62301
?

Hmm...thinking of stuff you might have laying around you haven't considered....(smell of my remaining hairs burning):

How about the core of a geared hubmotor from a 24v system?

Planetaries generally seem around 4:1 AFAICR, so if you had a 26" wheel that could do 20MPH at that voltage, the motor would end up around 1000RPM.

Guess that won't work, cuz then at 12V it'd only be about 500RPM. :(

But...you could lock up the planetary (I think?) so it spins 1:1, then gear it up for speed using a short chain. Mechanically complex, but probably durable for your usage if the whole thing was sealed up in an oil bath, which would also cool it. :)

You could also use any regular DD hubmotor for this, and instead of gearing it up just rewind it for the faster RPM you're after.

Most of the repurposeable BLDC motors I cna think of you might already have (or have easy access to) are low-RPM types, unfortunately.

I can think of a number of good sources for *brushed* ones....

Back