Whats Fueling All These "Never Come To Market" Companies?

Blueshift

100 W
All these claims can make one excited, except for the fact that we never see results. How can companies get away with this?

So are there some companies that get bought out by the oil or human slave keeping oligarchy? Or are all of these companies just have bogus claims?

The last one I got excited about was the dual carbon battery by japan plus. But no product to buy... If its true that it has similar energy density as Lithium, has more charge cycles, and can charge twenty times faster.... whats the deal where is it?

If its financial support couldn't people do a massive group buy or something.

Its not just battery tech that does this. Fuel Cell tech as well. I remember a university a few years back made a hydrogen fuel cell for an ebike that had a huge range supposedly.

The first thing I would remind you of is that there's no guarantee that they ever sounded so optimistic as the reporting chose to depict. Sex sells, so very little to report in the press release turns into. . . .

But for all your ideas of why, there's those and more. Tech companies run out of money before they're done, sometimes they're too optimistic when it's not working but they tell themselves it will. Most of us accept there's no reason to get excited until there's REAL reason to get excited.

There's also that sometimes what works in a lab with careful hand-preparation of tiny samples doesn't scale up to easy precise production sizes. :/

Blueshift said:
All these claims can make one excited, except for the fact that we never see results. How can companies get away with this?

So are there some companies that get bought out by the oil or human slave keeping oligarchy? Or are all of these companies just have bogus claims?

Likely: They make some claim, news organizations run away with it and write "CHANGE THE WORLD" level hype articles, because those get lots of clicks. Meanwhile, some engineer at the company is saying, "But... we haven't even built a working widget yet, this is all still theory!" - and nobody in marketing listens, because they can get the spotlight, and venture funding, and... anyway.

Generally, those claims either turn out to be rather overstated, impossible to productionize, have other downsides (massive capacity increase! cycle life of 3 until it bursts into flames...), etc.

The last one I got excited about was the dual carbon battery by japan plus. But no product to buy... If its true that it has similar energy density as Lithium, has more charge cycles, and can charge twenty times faster.... whats the deal where is it?

If I had to guess, I'd say it didn't work in some way that people meaningfully want a battery to work.

Its not just battery tech that does this. Fuel Cell tech as well. I remember a university a few years back made a hydrogen fuel cell for an ebike that had a huge range supposedly.

Company releases some demo. Company gets lots of press. Engineers at the company work out that the idea is idiotic, expensive, fundamentally flawed, or something else, and go on their way.

Here's the thing: The laws of nature and physics are under no obligation to give us what we want. Yes, I'd love a super-dense, ultra-high-power battery with infinite cycle life. Such a thing may or may not be possible. If such a thing is possible, it may be so incredibly expensive to produce that it is not feasible to use. Just because we really want something doesn't mean that thing is possible - witness fusion for a half a century of "20 years to production."

Back